advertisement

UptoneAudio EtherREGEN

No, no no. You guys got it all wrong.

Now's the time you're all supposed to ask if he did a double-blind test to see if the TV looks better at least 9 times out of 10.

It's interesting that nobody actually asks anything about the set up I have before wading in. By TV, I mean video material streamed digitally for Netflix etc. I clearly had no expectation bias as I didn't expect any improvement to SQ , but such an improvement is easily noticeable. It is easy to fool oneself when looking for SQ improvements but my wife immediately noticed the video improvements on our large screen, as did I when she pointed it out. And the video is so easy to prove-plug Mac Mini straight into Router, check screen, repeat with signal going via Cisco. Make sense that whatever filtering /noise removal a good Network switch does would affect video material as well as audio. There's many around who theorise or speculate as to why this happens, but I'm just taking the easy video and SQ win for the £20 I paid on E Bay for the Cisco. Others-whose opinions I respect-state that the Uptone Audio makes no discernible difference with my new DAC, a DCS Bartok, so I doubt I'll ever be trying that experiment.

It's interesting that nobody actually asks anything about the set up I have before wading in. By TV, I mean video material streamed digitally for Netflix etc. I clearly had no expectation bias as I didn't expect any improvement to SQ , but such an improvement is easily noticeable. It is easy to fool oneself when looking for SQ improvements but my wife immediately noticed the video improvements on our large screen, as did I when she pointed it out. And the video is so easy to prove-plug Mac Mini straight into Router, check screen, repeat with signal going via Cisco. Make sense that whatever filtering /noise removal a good Network switch does would affect video material as well as audio. There's many around who theorise or speculate as to why this happens, but I'm just taking the easy video and SQ win for the £20 I paid on E Bay for the Cisco. Others-whose opinions I respect-state that the Uptone Audio makes no discernible difference with my new DAC, a DCS Bartok, so I doubt I'll ever be trying that experiment.

Well if you don't you will be just as stubborn of all the guys who claim it does nothing, but have never tried it. I addition to many other hours of reading everything I could find regarding this uptone product, I have read the entire 55 page etherregen listening impressions thread on a different forum. I thought like you- maybe it would have more of an effect on lesser equipment, rather than the ultra-refined kit where they must have installed noise reducing parts having gone through such an obvious extensive engineering effort, with money being no concern. Yet there are many with some of the best DAC's money can buy who claim benefits of the etherregen in the chain: Chord Dave's, Mola Mola's, and I will send a link to this fellow who uses the DCS Vivaldi stack: (scroll down to the bottom)

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...listening-impressions/page/2/#comment-1003311

I will post my results when mine arrives in an estimated 3-4 weeks :)

Oh, and congratulations on the new DAC!

Well if you don't you will be just as stubborn of all the guys who claim it does nothing, but have never tried it. I addition to many other hours of reading everything I could find regarding this uptone product, I have read the entire 55 page etherregen listening impressions thread on a different forum. I thought like you- maybe it would have more of an effect on lesser equipment, rather than the ultra-refined kit where they must have installed noise reducing parts having gone through such an obvious extensive engineering effort, with money being no concern. Yet there are many with some of the best DAC's money can buy who claim benefits of the etherregen in the chain: Chord Dave's, Mola Mola's, and I will send a link to this fellow who uses the DCS Vivaldi stack: (scroll down to the bottom)

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...listening-impressions/page/2/#comment-1003311

It's much rarer to find an audiophile who spent a bundle on a box promising a dramatic improvement that will actually report it did nothing.

Be aware that that thread is in a forum section paid for by Uptone. Any remotely critical posts will have been removed.

Be aware that that thread is in a forum section paid for by Uptone. Any remotely critical posts will have been removed.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

There was at least one post in this thread that was removed as well.
The very few posts where someone posted they felt the EtherRegen did not benefit them in their system remained; they were not removed.

Oh Dear! Sponsored or not I wish you hadn't sent me in that direction. I look forward to your results in due course! I'm looking forward to getting to know the Bartok. I make my own line of DACs, streamers and preamps, the Dacs being based on the ESS9038Pro or PCM 1794 run in NOS mode so it's really interesting to learn how a very different technology works to compare with my own top of the range (at a price around £2.5k so considerably cheaper!)
David

I said I would post my impressions of the etherregen, and here it is.

Received a week ago, immediately upon hooking it up with ethernet into one side of the etherregen, and the other side into my exaSound Playpoint streamer I heard added treble grain, or haze, which is the opposite of what it is supposed to do. Not surprising as it was new and "uncooked". Would some people report an increase in detail? Probably.

After a week of running music through it 24/7 I will say it does add benefit in my system.

Are the effects huge? I would say no, but for sure going back and forth on the right piece of music it smooths out the sound. There is less grain. The background is a little blacker, which makes it easier to hear the low level details in complex passages, and with less haze they are better resolved. If someone was a vinyl lover and doesn't quite like the digital sound this may be the ticket. Having said that, I could see some people thinking some removal of the added grunge on their music by inserting the etherregen in the chain is a loss of detail, and they may not like the change.

The odd part is if someone asked me before if I had any digital glare, or haze, or grain, I would have said no. I stand corrected.

I will emphasize: To my ears and in my system the increase in sound quality is definitely not as big a jump as upgrading the interconnect from the DAC, because I just did that a few months ago. I'm not going to claim my jaw hit the floor, or my wife didn't unknowingly claim there was a difference, and but it is another step in this journey in the right direction.

Nice having the option to return it for full refund, I may have not ordered it if that wasn't the case, but I'm keeping it.

I bet the IEEE 802 standards committee must be wondering where they’ve gone wrong all these years….. :D

I bet the IEEE 802 standards committee must be wondering where they’ve gone wrong all these years….. :D
Hold on, I'll ask them..... They say they'll get back to us when they've stopped laughing. It might be a while.

advertisement

Back