advertisement

Upgrading to ATC SCM40 loudspeakers

I've enjoyed reading this thread and have been looking at the SCM19As as a result (just reviews on-line etc). I'm wondering what the advice is regarding pre-amps? ATC have a some options but the CA2 is still pretty expensive and the CDA2 even more. I can see that they are both pre-amps but then offer different routes re DAC/CD/Neither. Any suggestions for a pre-amplifier that would work with the SCM19As under £1,000 (if I was choosing between a phono stage or a DAC included I think it would be with phono stage, if that helps).

I will shamelessly point out the Quad Artera Play+ I’m selling in the classifieds. It’s a pre-DAC, with CD transport. No phono stage, but two analogue inputs along with all the digital. Balanced XLR outs too, just the job for Active ATCs.

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/quad-artera-play-black.226997/

Only thing that has bothered me slightly with the active 40's is that they don't have standby mode. The speakers are either on with full power consumption (which is 40W per speaker when idle) or then you need to switch them off from behind the speaker, which is little bit inconvenient. Also the amplifier modules run quite hot and summer is coming. My apartment gets very hot during summertime so I prefer not to have any idle equipment heating it up even more. I asked about this from ATC and they recommended to switch the speakers off if not used for ~8 hours or more. I've been switching them off in the evening if I have workday coming up but on the weekends I've kept them always on. I've also considered trying to add apple homekit controlled power switches on my power strip (Wireworld Matrix v2). I'm just worried if these would have negative effect on sound quality. Do you guys keep your active ATC's always on?

Well I had to try this out so I bought two of these: https://www.osram-lamps.com/ecatalo...gy/smart-home-components/smart-plug/index.jsp

HomeKit controlled bluetooth power plugs so you can turn speakers on/off with iPhone. I attached these to my Wireworld Matrix V2 and used only for the two SCM40A's, one for each speaker. They work as they should but unfortunately they do affect sound quality and the difference was quite obvious. They flatten the sound and negatively affect dynamics. I tried them with strong bass tracks and noticed the bass doesn't hit as deep or with such power as without them. Also high end lost some sparkle. Not sure why but maybe the integrated surge protector affects the SQ. They should handle 16A / 3680W loads so that's not the problem. Anyway, I'll return them.

Someone else mentioned using the energenie remote control sockets with no adverse effects to switch on/off the active SCM40’s. Anyone else tried them?

Someone else mentioned using the energenie remote control sockets with no adverse effects to switch on/off the active SCM40’s. Anyone else tried them?
I use the now out-of-production infra-red-controlled Ecotek standby saver compact mains switches with SCM50As.

And I have also used the (again out-of-production) Energenie ENER-018 IR mains switch. IR mains switches seem to be scarce these days. Energenie do RF controlled switches which I assume will have the same mains switching relay as mine but a different means to control it.

I ran the SCM50As directly connected to the mains for a short while after they arrived. I haven't noticed any adverse effects since I installed the remote control switches.

But it never occurred to me that there would be any adverse effects. There's only some 3 kW-rated relay contacts and another plug/socket inserted into the mains supply. So I can't say I was looking for anything. FYI I turn them on for one or two sessions a day and off at other times.

Interesting thread - just read through it all.
I’m using the passive scm40’s with Aragon Iridium monoblocks (400W) and they sound incredible. Very tightly controlled bass. All the above superlatives for mid range and treble. Amazing detail and transparency at low volume too.
I’m not wanting to try anything else, although I understand the arguments as to why it should be difficult to match the actives.
I guess I’m lucky to have the Iridiums.

advertisement

Back