advertisement

Upgrading to ATC SCM40 loudspeakers

tonyx

pfm Member
I have decided to test a pair of ATC SCM40, and have booked a demonstration next week. This model has excellent reviews all round and many recommendations here as well, and I was drawn to them based on that together with my perception of their relative value. But this is a big outlay for me and I want to gather as much advice as I can. I am worried that they might not sound right in my room (6mx4m, for various reasons speakers fire across not down) and that my Naim 250 wont be able to drive them properly. I currently have Naim Arriva which although I like them a lot (a somewhat controversial view) are now getting old and I know there is better out there. At a price.
What I was wondering is whether anyone has got close to buying these and backed off in favour of something else, and if so what your reasons?

Also if you have a pair how close to the wall do you have them?

Obviously the dealer is going to try to get me to take the active version at nearly twice the price. No doubt it is a big step above. But are there then other consequences to the set up which would likely lead to other expenditure? Are there any other considerations?

I listen mainly to rock and some classical.

Tony

Last edited:
Tony,

1. Get a home demo. If this dealer won’t, go to another!
2. ATC speakers are generally up there with the best, but in my experience come on song at a little above some people’s preferred levels. Not silly loud, but detached house loud ;)
3. I’d go active if you can. Again, a home demo of the two options would be ideal, but perhaps reasonable to choose one or the other at the dealer then home dem your preferred option.
4. Don’t buy without a home demo.
5. Home demo.

I have decided to test a pair of ATC SCM4, and have booked a demonstration next week

Why have you chosen these? What else is on your short list?

Your Naim 250 should have plenty of power but whether the match is to your taste remains to be seen. Its certainly not something I would recommend personally but YMMV.

Do like atc’s, though not been as much of a fan of the 40’s, might be down to setup though. The 50’s and 100’s are very good, especially active. Where are you based?

Here’s ATCs corporate brochure, with some very good explanations of their philosophy and technology, and what advantages active speakers have over passive speakers.

I used to own SCM25As which have the same driver complement as the 40s, but configured differently in a smaller cabinet. They are superb loudspeakers, on any kind of music.

http://atcforums.co.uk/pdf/ATC CORP BROCHURE.pdf

I also recently heard the 40’s & was very impressed. They were up against speakers twice the price. And I thought the ATC’s were far better. Yes, they need an amp with grunt & yes low volume listening isn’t their strongpoint. Anything over about mid-70’s dB & they woke up nicely.
Can’t really think of any other weaknesses I picked up on.
I haven’t heard the active version, but apparently they are a significant step up from the passive version, so must be a really WOW! Product.
As they are a sealed cab, placement is fairly flexible & a foot away from the rear wall seemed fine.
Every room is different though, so home dem is really important.
Don’t know which dealer you are using, but the Audiobarn on the outskirts of Harlow are ATC dealers & excellent guys to deal with, if that’s not too far from you in east London.

I have a 32-5 with Ryan Soundlabs boards. And a CB HC. The RSL boards were a significant upgrade and well worth getting. If I went active the 272 route is attractive. However is it packed with technology that could become obsolete? So I am not sure. I generally keep things for a long time.

I used to like the passive ATC that they made 15-20 years ago such as the SCM12, 20 and the 35, but their more recent models I find too tight, overdamped, just don't let the music out into the room. And I have always been a dissenting voice on the actives which I find hard and unforgiving and eventually put me off wanting to listen.

Try to home-dem as many different speakers as possible. But it is a shame that ATC are one of the only manufacturers left making sealed box speakers and almost everyone else is ported, making placement anywhere near walls a no-no.

Why have you chosen these? What else is on your short list?
I don't exactly have a shortlist. I have considered Focal and Triangle floor standers and got close to investigating both to demo point last year. Then I started to wonder if a standmount would be better, because of room size and placement, maybe even the new B+W 805 D3. But I think I will want a sub to go with it which I would rather avoid. My Arriva are 20cm from the wall. Investigating stand mounts led me to ATC. I have considered all sorts of things over the years. Like most of us I guess. I am open to suggestions of course and that is part of the fun of threads like this!

Your 250 should be more than capable of driving the passive SCM40s, mine was. As with all things tho', more power does provide more control... mine currently sit on the end of a pair of 135s.
As for the active version, that's my next avenue of discovery when funds allow :) (btw not sure why you want a 272 in front of the actives, your 32-5/HC should be capable, especially if you prefer the chrome/olive sound).

I haven’t heard the active version, but apparently they are a significant step up from the passive version, so must be a really WOW! Product.

Active 40A's are significant step up in performance over the passive 40's. Fwiw, since the 40A's release in April 2015 no one has chosen passive 40's over 40A's despite passive 40's being used/demoed with various high quality amplification.

Be active. It's good for your mind, body and hi-fi :)

I've not heard the actives but I've owned the older versions of the passive 40s. They are revealing and need power as has been commented on here. I find Naim amps bright so the combo wouldn't work for me. But ATC amps are pretty revealing (more neutral/less forward to my ears than Naim) too

I've owned Focals and I'm sure they will be too bright with naim amps.

I now own B&W 805D3 floorstanders which would be a good comparison and price point for you.

I disagree re older active ATCs. I listened to a pair of SCM50As a few years back at a dealer round the back of Tottenham Court Road and thought they were underwhelming. That might have been the (expensive) McIntosh preamp they used though....

There must be a London dealer that has ATC and B&W? If you have a car you can take your aim amp with you. Then home demo the preferred pair

Good luck! I know you don't want to make the wrong choice with that sort of £ outlay!

I believe you can convert them to active later but yes if I was going down that route (& I do plan to then I would go active). If CD is your main source you always have the option of going all in with an ATC CD player which removes the need for a pre-amp. 250 will drive them well according to my dealer; they are not very sensitive but not a difficult load.

272 is one of the last things I’d put in front of active atc’s. that’s having owned one with a 555ps and sold it not long after

Cheaper and much more practical would be a good quality dac/pre with balanced xlr outs, esp if you have a decent length run to the speakers

And add whatever CD player/streamer you want. Also not tied into a very difficult to upgrade box if you want to stick with naim

advertisement

Back