advertisement

Upgrade from Rega Exact

I know you said it’s beyond your budget, but I just put a Hana ML on my PT Anni/SME IV and it’s fantastic - and for me, most I’ve ever spent on a new cart! In the past I have had DV20x2 on a Rega 8 and a Linn LP12 too. The DV’s a great cart - but if you are spending anywhere near that level you should hear the Hana too.

Ordered an OC9XML to try; will compare it to the VM95E and ML.

I ran OC9 ML and OC9 MLII for years. I sold the later to a friend andhe's not using it just now so I'm planning on borrowing it. I don't think it will be what I'm after but it may represent the other extreme so might give me an idea of how far along that road I want to go.

VM95ML/VM540ML ???

Yes, the 540 and 740 ML are on the list as everyone who has them seems to love them. Especially the 540.

I hate buying cartridges! :0(

Anyone tried the RigB metal bodied Audio Technica VM... range ?

No, but I did try the VM E and C styluses on a Linn K9 body. There may be internal differences but the stylus is a perfect fit and the K9 is an alloy body obviously.

I preferred the stock plastic VM body. There was more detail with K9 body but it was harder and colder sounding. The old AT-95e was a bit thin sounding and they largly fixed that with the VM making it a much more rounded cart. The K9 body fecks it up again!

Maybe on an overly warm and dull rig it would fit in perfectly but I didn't like it.

Having read many of your posts about moving to the LP12, I think you'd like the DV 20x2L. It has a big, bold, punchy sound and shades a bit to the warm side of neutral. I've had an Exact on my LP12 and it just didn't compare to the 20x2. I'm currently running a XX-2 mk. 2, which I find a bit too polite. I'm planning on going back to a new 20x2 when I do the Karousel upgrade.

Since I'm not a fan of either of those two Dynavector's, the 17D would be the one that I would choose, but Joe shame you're not ready to change your cartridge, this would have been a great option: [FS] - Goldring Ethos MC Cartridge - £725.00 | pink fish media
Sorry Mr Pig, I don't normally link to something over budget for the op, but you might have a sneaky look:

I had a dv10x5 (with a dv p75 phono stage) on a planar 3 and then a Townshend rock. The dynavector sounded fab on some records, noisy on others. I agree, the cart picked the music rather than me.

by way of (belatedly, my apologies) answering a question posed by @Mr Pig earlier, I too had a 10x5 on a Rega P5 and while I didn't find the cartridge to be noisy, I did feel that the setup was quite "choosy" about the records I played on it. some sounded fab, others quite dark and shut-in.

with my LP12, however, the DV 20x2L was perfectly even-handed, open, and fun. admittedly, my LP12 setup (ARO/Kore/Radikal/DV SUT and P75 mk.4) is way higher-spec than the P5 it replaced, but I don't think Mr. Pig would go too far wrong with the 20x2L in his rig. the DV cartridges mate well with Rega arms.

...while I didn't find the cartridge to be noisy, I did feel that the setup was quite "choosy" about the records I played on it. some sounded fab, others quite dark and shut-in.

That's something I want to avoid at all cost. I'd rather stick with a basic cartridge and lower resolution and be able to enjoy all of my records.

The DV 20x2L is high on my list of possibles. Everyone who has one seems to love it. Ania Pro a contender too.

So, after doing a fair bit of research it’s looking like I’m gonna try the DV 10x5 mkII, firstly, I can still use the original counter weight, the Aria phono has the specs required (low gain switch) for the DV, only need either 2 or 3mm spacer, since I use the Achromat and most of my LPs are reissue 180gr most likely go with 3mm, and from what I understand can use the Rega protractor for alignment

You could use a Michell 3 point VTA adjuster, beautifuly made, it has a fine thread that means it's adjustable from 2-4mm or 4-6 mm ,this means you can get your VTA spot on @ppaul

That's something I want to avoid at all cost. I'd rather stick with a basic cartridge and lower resolution and be able to enjoy all of my records.

The DV 20x2L is high on my list of possibles. Everyone who has one seems to love it. Ania Pro a contender too.

I have had a DV20x2L on my LP12 for the past few years. Originally on a very good Mk1 Akito arm and for the last 18 months on a PU7. I feel that this cartridge offers an awful lot of performance and is hard to beat around it's price range. Hoping that it is suitable for your Rega arm. Good luck with your final choice..

Funnily enough I was at a dealer for the first time in over 10 years last week to collect the P10 and we discussed cartridges, & the swines played me the mighty Aphelion 2 :)
Other than the Rega MCs which were their first preference, Dynavector seemed the preferred alternative for the Rega arms and decks. Similar tonality.

I don't think it's as imminent as 'about to'. I think they're working on a new platform? Might be a good way off yet.
I doubt it will be a new platform, more likely some refinement to the current design.

Speaking of the current design, I like to think of these as 'permanent induced magnet' type (PIM?), as the assembly process has the cantilever permalloy insert magnetized post cantilever/suspension damper installation.

It will be interesting to see whether or not Rega have a rethink about output level vs. coil turns; as, for a given amount of magnetism, reducing the latter affects the former, but also lowers the inductance which affects MF through HF rolloff and, therefore, the loading necessary to restore same. As Rega's MM input stage sensitivity is typically 1.7mV for 200mV output (2.1mV for Io and Brio), with the current Elys 2 and Exact having 6.8 - 7.2mV output there exists plenty of room for experimentation wrt internal inductance vs. cartridge output level. My guess is that it will be primarily in this area where they end up doing some fresh Rega Research.

Last edited:
I doubt it will be a new platform, more likely some refinement to the current design.

I don't know but I do think there is room for work. The Exact is an excellent cartridge but it is a little compromised at the top and bottom and the cheaper carts and just plain poor. They get away with it because they're bolted to better than average turntables which covers their shortcomings but carts that are truly competitive would be nice.

advertisement

Back