advertisement

Upgrade from Rega Exact

Had a look and the Mofi Ultratracker looks like a VM cartridge in a fancy body. Which makes is seen quite expensive? Is it different in some magical way?

Having read many of your posts about moving to the LP12, I think you'd like the DV 20x2L. It has a big, bold, punchy sound and shades a bit to the warm side of neutral. I've had an Exact on my LP12 and it just didn't compare to the 20x2. I'm currently running a XX-2 mk. 2, which I find a bit too polite. I'm planning on going back to a new 20x2 when I do the Karousel upgrade.

Totally agree with the recommendation of a DV20X2L. Since I had my Karousel fitted I've had no real desire to upgrade the cartridge - it is just as described by @joe9407 . Haven't heard one on a Rega arm though so see what others think who have something similar to your arm

The more I listen to the deck I'm thinking I want a cartridge that's a bit brighter lit than the Exact. Over the years the cartridges I've used the most have been Audio Technicas and I'm thinking maybe one of those.

AT33PGT or one of the new MM carts no one has a bad word to say about?

Looks interesting, I'll have a look but I like to stick to mainstream stuff as it's easier to sell on of you don't like it.

I sold it on a trade in and got exactly the same as I paid for it, minus shipping costs from Germany, only a few quid pre Brexit

Still seems like a lot for an AT VM in a party frock?

Yeah, that's what I thought, but as I said I bought it new and heavily discounted, £300 from a place called Black Pearl's in Germany, I'd say AT is your best bet, VM540 or 740, replaceable stylus too.

Yip, I'm keen to avoid that. I had an Ortofon 2M Black and it was very unforgiving, of everything really! Alignment not perfect, feck you. Record not perfect, feck you! I can't be bothered with that any more. I want to pick the music I listen to, not have it picked by the damn cartridge.

I'll take the Exact over the Black or cartridges like it any day. I don't care if it's half the price, I think the Exact is the better cartridge. The 2M Black makes you think it's a great cartridge. The Exact makes you think it's great music.

I think the Exact and Ania Pro both use a Vital tip. It feels like the Exact is a bit rolled off at the top which might make it more forgiving? Guessing.

What I want is a Super-Exact! :0)

I had a dv10x5 (with a dv p75 phono stage) on a planar 3 and then a Townshend rock. The dynavector sounded fab on some records, noisy on others. I agree, the cart picked the music rather than me.

The Exact makes everything sound good and I’m now listening to all of my record collection. I do, however, sometimes miss the sonic fireworks of the dynavector. The exact is lovely though and has very low surface noise.

I had a dv10x5 (with a dv p75 phono stage) on a planar 3 and then a Townshend rock. The dynavector sounded fab on some records, noisy on others. I agree, the cart picked the music rather than me.

The Exact makes everything sound good and I’m now listening to all of my record collection. I do, however, sometimes miss the sonic fireworks of the dynavector. The exact is lovely though and has very low surface noise.

Yes, this is exactly the quandary I'm looking at. The Exact sounds so....nice. I'm happily playing any record but when you play really good ones at reasonable volume you know you're missing out on dynamics, bass weight etc. But the carts I've had that did all that stuff made bad records sound crap! What is a pig to do.

Can't take away from the Exact though. If you want a music first cartridge it's a great choice and who says a Rega arm and cartridge doesn't work on an LP12? Seems to wok ok to me.

who says a Rega arm and cartridge doesn't work on an LP12? Seems to wok ok to me.

And your opinion is somehow definitive?

If there’s one thing we’ve learned from your constant chopping and changing it’s that your taste is fickle and transient.

And your opinion is somehow definitive?

If there’s one thing we’ve learned from your constant chopping and changing it’s that you’re taste is fickle and transient.

Oh I don't think Mt Pig's opinoin is definitive, but he's not alone in feeling Rega arms work rather well with an LP12. They also work well on Voyd, Technics and many other TT's especially with the paint removed and rewired.

I'm sure Mr Tibbs of this parish uses an RB1000 with his LP12 and one Paul Messenger uses both an RB1000 and Rega Planar 9 motor and power supply on his and he's a rather well respected reviewer of some decades experience.

The more I listen to the deck I'm thinking I want a cartridge that's a bit brighter lit than the Exact. Over the years the cartridges I've used the most have been Audio Technicas and I'm thinking maybe one of those.

AT33PGT or one of the new MM carts no one has a bad word to say about?

Hi Colin,

If you like what you have in the Exact but want to take thing up a couple of notches then consider the Ania Pro.
I've been using mine for a couple of months now and really rate it - and I'm as fussy as it gets with cartridges.
I also swapped out my Cyrus phono stage for a new Aria Mk3 a few weeks ago - perfect match as you might expect.

I stand by my original 'review' comments - the Ania Pro sound like a modern iteration of the Linn Karma/Troika but with better tracking and soundstage.
Same rich tonality and solidity.

If you want something more brightly lit and for reasonable money, the AT33PTG (I have one of those also) is a good foil for the Rega cart without sounding bright or brittle.
Technically without flaw and superb tracking with its ML stylus.

For the same price as a DV20X you could get a Benz Glider SL, but as a manual cuer I'm not sure it would be up your street. A stunning cartridge though and no mistake, for me Benz do that trick of detail without sounding lean and keeping a touch of warmth. Maybe even try an Ace?

Hi Mr. Pig, probably you know all this theory better then me but over the last 2 months I have been messing around with capacitance loading for my A&RP77 with HE tip. I am really made up with this cartridge especially so, since I knocked up a Y splitter lead and some capacitance loading plugs of varying values. In my case, The difference the extra 80pF plug makes to the treble extension is quite remarkable. The gorgeous slightly rolled off in the treble retro sound is transformed into an MC soundalike as far as airy fairy, and I reckon even a bit harder hitting bass is concerned. Better recorded LPs are still ahead of the pack but the pack have improved no end. Dunno if the Exact might respond to a bit more, or less capacitance load on your phono input. Mr. Gandy will know.
Just in case anyone hasn't a clue what I'm talking about read this and follow up from there. I didn't buy one of these preferring a DIY job. dead easy.

DB Systems-DB Systems DBP-6 Phono Capacitor Loading Kit-Any|Acoustic Sounds

Went from an Exact to a Nagaoka MP-500, which made a big difference, then to a Ortofon Quintet black, then to a DV20x2L, now on xx2 mk2. All sounded quiet with rega, then arkless, then dv phono's. All were "improvements", but would go back to the dv20x2L without any hesitation. Played on rega rp6, then rp8, then WT Simplex, again, to my ears, all improvements. Clean records equals quiet background whatever the stylus is doing.

Basically I don't give a sh*t what peoples taste are, if they're sheep, weird or disciples or whatever.

BUT I do like to understand what they talk about, could someone, nice friendly person, explain to a non British reader, what above sentence actually mean ?
Ta.

He means you change your mind often about what you like or dislike.

I stand by my original 'review' comments - the Ania Pro sound like a modern iteration of the Linn Karma/Troika but with better tracking and soundstage.
Same rich tonality and solidity.

It's interesting that, if I remember correctly, all three share the same Vital stylus profile.

What I want is a Super-Exact! :0)

The original Apheta was just that for me many moons ago. It was just how Rega described it - super clear high frequency, combined with firm tight base. The Apheta3 is a more refined version of the original that sports a Fine Line tip profile mounted through 90 degrees as per the flagship Aphelion. At £1250 it is expensive but coupled with the RB3000/Aria I don't think you would regret it for a second.

advertisement

Back