advertisement

Upgrade from Bluesound Node 2i

Another vote for Node 2i plus external DAC, I use an RME adi-2 fs with mine.

I like the vol control and EQ the RME gives.

So is there much difference on the mid to low priced streamers ?
That is ignoring the DAC's inside - presume using an external DAC.

It’s arguable that they should all sound the same but there will be differences to the power supply and the output stage. The big difference for many will be its UI.

So is there much difference on the mid to low priced streamers ?
That is ignoring the DAC's inside - presume using an external DAC.
I went from a 3rd gen. Bluesound Node to a Auralic Aries G1.1 using a Chord Qutest dac with both. The Aries is significantly better sounding but I miss the simplicity and effectiveness of the Node software.

I could not reliably tell you the difference between a PI, PC or Node into the same dac, and I have tried it.

the app and updates/support from Bluesound are a big plus
Agree that the app is great and one of the better UIs out there, but given I am still waiting for a response from a support request I raised on the 26th Jan about my Node 2i not connecting to Qobuz, I'm not sure I can fully agree that they have great tech support!

A good friend replaced his Naim unit with an Innuos Pulse. I have not heard either of these nor the Pulse Mini but he claims he prefers the Pulse as he is hearing a really big improvement and not just a difference. The Innuos Sense software is highly praised for it's sound.

Personally I would consider the Pulse as it's made by a company that is digital from the outset unlike many amp manufacturers forced to go digital to stay in the game.

ND5 XS2 is a decent machine if you extract what it’s capable of. Its industrial design is also perfect to my taste (proper metal, no screens etc.). Obviously it’s a significant step from Node.

I have the node 3 or 3rd gen or what ever where you can use the USB out for a dac, great product.
Seen an open box Naim ND5 XS2 which is a good price!

Can I expect a significant upgrade? Obviously I will have a demo - also looking at the Innous Pulse Mini.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I use my Node 2i into the dac of an Audiolab cd 8300 and I'm very pleased with the resulting sound. And it sits neatly on top, away from the vents.

I went from a Node 2i to a used Lumin U1 Mini...they can be had for nice prices now that the Lumin U2 Mini is out. I think it is a fantastic streamer, but would agree with what others have said above about Bluesounds App being better. Depends on how you plan to stream...Roon? Tidal Connect? Then the Bluesound App might be a moot point. Obviously this route would require a DAC, but even the Lumin U1 Mini with a "cheap" SMSL SU-8 I had laying around beat out the Node 2i...and you can go up with your DAC as budget allows anytime.

I only know a couple of people who have moved from a modded Node and seen an improvement in SQ. One of those is The Flash and he now has Innuos.

I think properly designed streamers should all sound the same into a decent DAC. As with all things audiophile, people (starting with marketeers) like to muddy the waters and make things out to be far more complex than it needs to be in terms of psu designs, noise on the outputs, software changing the sound quality and so on. As a sanity saver, I always compare the streaming output into my DAC, with the same CD played on a good quality CD transport. To date, I hear no difference between the CD transport, and a simple Raspberry Pi 4 via usb running PiCorePlayer. I love the software too. Whilst part of me is rather keen on the conveniance of an all-in-one dac/streamer, I’d be concerned about longevity of software (both for the device and the control point tablet/ipad) in the future, and how long before it became a pricey doorstop.

The Node (N130) weakest point is the quality of the analog outputs with the built in SMPS. Mid-Fi at the best, with little soundstage in between speakers, squashed dynamics and relatively tuneless bass.

This can be massively improved upon by using an external LPS and a DC interface board, which has at least 3 options (Teddy Pardo, Fidelity, PD Creative).

Junking the SMPS also makes a modest improvement on its digital streaming output, but nowhere to the same degree that the analog output improves.

The get the most out of the Node, there are several things that need to happen.

1. Replace SMPS with external LPS and DC interface board (a ten minute job)
2. Use the USB digital out of the Node into a DDC, to clean up the USB digital feed, as even with the LPS it is not the highest performing digital source.
3. From the DDC into an external DAC.

I'm pretty sure that the combination of the LPS/DDC takes the Node well into the territory of $3-5k digtal streamers, although it is now a 3 box affair.

I only know a couple of people who have moved from a modded Node and seen an improvement in SQ. One of those is The Flash and he now has Innuos.
I also made the change from pimped Node2 + Mutec DDC to Innuos, in my case a Zenith mk3. I did the shop then home dem into my own pimped Black Ice DSD and the difference wasn't subtle to my ears. So much so that besides selling the Node I also pulled the Mutec and sold it as the sound from the Zenith was much better without it in the chain. The Innuos Sense software is also easily on par with BluOS and to my mind way way better, slightly different task pathways but otherwise easy to learn.

advertisement

Back