advertisement

Upgrade from Bluesound Node 2i

stevebrock

pfm Member
Seen an open box Naim ND5 XS2 which is a good price!

Can I expect a significant upgrade? Obviously I will have a demo - also looking at the Innous Pulse Mini.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Can I expect a significant upgrade? Obviously I will have a demo - also looking at the Innous Pulse Mini.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
A friend got one of these after his Node 2i and it sounded significantly better. That said he never put the Node onto a separate DAC, which is what I'd do and have done. 'Even' a Mojo made a bit improvement IME over the Node's DAC.

The Naim might still sound better/preferable than the 2i in to the same external DAC.

A friend got one of these after his Node 2i and it sounded significantly better. That said he never put the Node onto a separate DAC, which is what I'd do and have done. 'Even' a Mojo made a bit improvement IME over the Node's DAC.

The Naim might still sound better/preferable than the 2i in to the same external DAC.
I use a mojo with my Node 2i & it’s a big uplift in my system.

Agree with the above. The weak point in the Node is the DAC. The streaming side of it however, is really rather excellent for the money and having tried a couple of more expensive streamers (Innuos and Lumin), I have gone back to a Node (albeit I have mine pimped with a better power supply).

I use a Node with a couple of (relatively) expensive DACs and the streamer holds it own perfectly well.

A new external DAC would definitely be money better spent if you ask me. That way you also get to keep the Node and don't have to set up a new device with a new app etc.

New, they are far too expensive for what you get, what is a "good" price I wonder.?

I'd consider future support and generel streaming innovation which is speedy.

With Naim's reputation on service support I'd think twice, they are first class on their amps but sucks big time with CD players, loudspeakers and early Uniti's - mind you its not cheap China electronics.
They want you to purchase new boxes in a few years, I'd not trust them on basic support more than say 4-6 years ahead - hence the item is too expensive, there's much better out there.

Last edited:
Having been pleased with my Innuos Zen Mk3 in my main system, when needing a streamer upgrade in my 2nd system I got a Pulse Mini and it is very good. I purchased the Zen Mini LPSU at the same time so have never heard it with the supplied AC Adapter. I too have have a Node 2i and I would say the Pulse Mini is a significant upgrade. I have enjoyed using the Pulse Mini's internal DAC for much of the time I have owned it. It is smoother and more relaxed sounding when compared to using with my Qutest DAC but it is still really engaging to listen to and I find myself listening for long sessions without getting fatigued.

I'm in the same position as the op and was set on an external dac but the new eversolo streamers , particularly the A8 has caught my attention.

I'm in the same position as the op and was set on an external dac but the new eversolo streamers , particularly the A8 has caught my attention.
I have a Node, an Eversolo and external dacs. Get an external dac. The Topping D70 Pro Sabre is a good match.

Reactions: Gza
Will there be a new node in 2024?
Unlikely as the Pulse, Pulse Mini and Pulse Flex have yet to be updated and the Vault is a few generations old “probably won’t get an update”. These all still have the soft touch coating that disintegrates over time.

Agree with the above. The weak point in the Node is the DAC. The streaming side of it however, is really rather excellent for the money and having tried a couple of more expensive streamers (Innuos and Lumin), I have gone back to a Node (albeit I have mine pimped with a better power supply).

I use a Node with a couple of (relatively) expensive DACs and the streamer holds it own perfectly well.

A new external DAC would definitely be money better spent if you ask me. That way you also get to keep the Node and don't have to set up a new device with a new app etc.
Is it the power supply with additional part (interface bit) for the Node itself? Or just a power supply? Have been thinking of trying that but not got round to it.

Personally the app and updates/support from Bluesound are a big plus. I'd have a really low tolerance for anything buggy, or for any doubt about longer term support.

Is it the power supply with additional part (interface bit) for the Node itself? Or just a power supply? Have been thinking of trying that but not got round to it
Yes, I'm using an interface board so you can connect a 5v DC power supply. Tried a few and in my main system I'm now using a Sean Jacobs PSU, much like the ones they use in Innuos streamers. The improvements are relatively subtle at low volumes, but you start to really hear the benefits at higher volumes where the lower noise floor noticeably enhances bass clarity and makes everything flow with more ease and control.

If you look at the internals of higher end streamers, a better power supply is often the only enhancement you get by going up the ladder.

advertisement

Back