advertisement

Unexpected bonus

Spike

pfm Member
Mowing the neighbours lawn this morning I had the unexpected bonus of finding 5 Boletus edulis - porcini. Now gently fried in butter and served on toasted sourdough. Quite delicious. Never had them on my or the neighbours lawn before. Normally large crop of magic mushrooms.

My unexpected bonus was a £5 code from Halfords. No minimum spend required, so soon off to pick up 10 litres of screenwash for 98p, when I collect something to eat tonight from M&S.
Bargain!

Be very careful! Here in Italy hardly a year passes without some family having a mushroom dinner and then half of them dying. It only takes one poisonous one mixed in with the good porcini to kill several people and seriously damage the livers of the survivors. Hope this doesn't put you off your mushroom orgy.

Be very careful! Here in Italy hardly a year passes without some family having a mushroom dinner and then half of them dying. It only takes one poisonous one mixed in with the good porcini to kill several people and seriously damage the livers of the survivors. Hope this doesn't put you off your mushroom orgy.
That’s why I only eat the mushrooms which I know are safe. There are no really similar mushrooms which resemble porcini that are poisonous. The closest are a totally different colour. If I’m in any doubt I don’t pick them. Not had any problems in over 40 years including once harvesting over 10kg of dried porcini.

I imagine a lot of nice local mushrooms go to waste because of uncertainty around identification.
You are dead right. See what I did there? Seriously there are many fungi which are edible but the risk is to great for me. When I retire I intend on doing a few mushroom foraging courses to get more experience of what other species are edible. I’ve had some amazing fungi in Andalusia at this time of year.

I bought a Carolina reaper chili plant this week which came with bonus psilocybe subaeruginosa mushrooms.
I'd like to introduce porcini to the pinus radiata growing in our shelterbelt.

I imagine a lot of nice local mushrooms go to waste because of uncertainty around identification.

That’s probably good. Just because they aren’t eaten doesn’t mean they are wasted. Big problems in the New Forest as an example.
Even the common field mushroom has a deadly alternative. I recall some actor family I was assumed to know all ended up in ICU with kidney failure about three years back after a picking session on holiday in Scotland. I’m a sort of foodie but I leave it to Tesco’s to pick my mushrooms.
I’m a monster with blackberries and sloes mind: bagfuls whether the local wildlife have pissed on them or not. Weils disease if your super unlucky :)

Not many sloes I’m my part of Northumberland this year. Bumper crop last year. Seams a biannual thing.

I bought a Carolina reaper chili plant this week which came with bonus psilocybe subaeruginosa mushrooms.
I'd like to introduce porcini to the pinus radiata growing in our shelterbelt.

Now that's what I call a bonus; unless they are the very similar looking *checks handbook* Galerina Marginata.

Hi Steve,
I thought that but my neighbours Plum trees just keep on giving bumper crop every year. Global warning might confuse them.
Any experience with walnuts?

It was the best year ever for hazel nuts on my corkscrew hazel bush.
The squirrels didn't even say thank you.

advertisement

Back