advertisement

UK AUDIO SHOW 2022

Pleased to see ProAc still a going concern, I feared the death of Stuart Tyler would be the end. What are the electronics they were using? Tyler was always using either vast amounts of Audio Research valves or Sugden Masterclass whenever I saw them at shows, which is a very long time ago now. Always sounded decent though the bigger speakers could struggle and sound overblown in a little hotel room. I've no idea how one would make ProAc sound harsh, that would really take some doing IME. I’ve always really liked their little speakers, especially the 1SC. I’ve owned a couple of pairs of Tablettes of different eras.

yes Proac still arouses huge love amongst many . i was in a FB group at one time and the enthusiasm of owners is infectious . Very much enjoyed my 125 and enjoyed some d30r with arcam and i have the d2dome on my bucket list

I turned up on both days, somewhat late on Sunday due to a forced detour of the M11 (slip road closed due to road works :() & a massive car fire - yes it was fully ablaze on the A14, I'm surprised it did not explode. To cap it all most of the exhibitors started packing up around 3:30 o_O Anyhow due to time restraints I did not get around all the rooms but of those I visited 3 rooms stick in my memory. The Kudos/Naim system - lovely speakers. Worthy of an extended listen. The Wand turntable system with their cute little stand mount speakers with a sideways facing bass speaker. Certainly not big in the bass department but enough for a very enjoyable listen. Nice detail emanating from that turntable. 12hr life battery powered psu too! Finally Willow tree audio had a nice system running from a Technics SP10 with a DIY mods arm & an ex BBC plinth. This was running through a Veda phono stage & some other gear I regrettably can't remember (oops). I was drawn into the room by a track from Neil Diamonds album, Hot august night. This sounded so good, a reissue copy that I felt sounded better than my MOFI copy!, well at least what I heard on their system. This therefore has led me to track it down for comparisons :D

BTW I think a lot of people were getting stiffed at the sandwich bar on the ground floor. They were offering a meal deal for £7, usual thing, drink, sandwich & crisps. However the sandwiches were labeled as £3 & drinks £2. I picked up a sandwich & drink & expecting to pay £5 but the girl behind the bar said it would be cheaper to buy a meal deal for £7. It was not until I pointed out sandwiches are labeled as £3, where she then came round to check & accepted my fiver :D Still chocked on it a bit lol.

How on Earth can the Proac K1 be made to sound harsh, with those ribbon tweeters? When I demoed them they were very, very natural sounding, not even a hint of brightness or roughness. Just goes to show, nothing is certain in this world.

How on Earth can the Proac K1 be made to sound harsh, with those ribbon tweeters? When I demoed them they were very, very natural sounding, not even a hint of brightness or roughness. Just goes to show, nothing is certain in this world.
They appear to be using a Trilogy 925 amp. Perhaps it was just turned up too loud.

To cap it all most of the exhibitors started packing up around 3:30 o_O Anyhow due to time restraints I did not get around all the rooms

... I went both days specifically for that reason - I know Sunday is meant to be a full day but they start packing up at 3:30pm. I managed to get to every room (The Audio Consultants was the 'loudest').

I live in the next village to Staverton where the show is held. I can certainly say that there is loads of great places to eat and get a drink, from the local pub In the village of Staverton to all the other local pubs in near by village's to the main town of daventry just a 2 miles away.
Plus the hotel is clean and tidy and has great facilities from a championship 18 hole golf course, swimming pool, gym etc.
Can't see what's not to like really?

I wonder if you were the one that parked up next to me with the 22 plate Audi - we had a brief chat before you went on in...?

Try the A423 Banbury-Southam next time. Not even too far out of the way...

Thanks Paul. I used to ride on that road coming back from meetings in Coventry on my motorcycles back in the mid 2000's. Your right, its another great road!

The sound wasn't harsh when I was in the ProAc room.

Just to put some ideas out on why the ProAc's sounded harsh
1. End of the day (Sat) for our group of 3, one's ears get 'fatigued' and anything that is harsh, perhaps is felt greater. All 3 of us thought it was harsh though, maybe we were all equally 'ear fatigued' *
2. The speakers may not have been run in (a common issue at shows)
3. The track(s) were unfamiliar
4. We may have sat/stood in the wrong area

* it's also worth noting that to intensely listen to hifi all day, is an unusual event.

I don't know what separates were driving them, but Trilogy 925 looks very similar to the photo.
To be honest it's difficult walking into every room, absorbing what everything is and listening to the sound. It would be helpful it vendors could list out their system specs.

Last edited:

The Proac Tablette 10 loudspeakers I tried at home were probably the brightest speakers I’ve heard in a long while unfortunately…..

Most of the rooms sounded pretty poor to be honest. The Pro-Ac room sounded OK, as did the Kerr room when I was in there. The Kudos/Naim room showed some promise, as did the Art Audio Room. When you consider what some of this equipment costs, I just don't get why the sound in the rooms isn't more realistic...

I've updated my review and put more detail for each post, including Kerr. As there is a 24hr edit limit.

Last edited:
The Proac Tablette 10 loudspeakers I tried at home were probably the brightest speakers I’ve heard in a long while unfortunately…..

Yes, that model I would agree on, but all the ribbon based models are the opposite of bright, they are pretty much at the other end of the scale. Still, Joe Hs opinion is as valid as anybody else’s, and the specific circumstances he described I guess led him to it.

Jason Kennedy’s website the-ear.net have published part 1 of the show report. There doesn’t seem to be too much about the show.

Never went. Have some of you heard the Townshend Rock Reference?

S.
Yes, I heard it. Had a 15/20 min session late Sunday when they were comparing the Reference to another Rock TT. Unfortunately there was a lot of chat going on with a rather eager "customer". Either way between all the chat it sounded very rich, bold & warm with plenty of drive. Very distinctive type of sound emanating from the speakers. Reminded me of a valve type sound. Can't be sure what equipment was in use. Wasn't really to my liking.

Have to say in comparison heard the Origin Live TT with their own arm of which I've heard before & always found it to punchy sounded much better to my ears.

Yes, I heard it. Had a 15/20 min session late Sunday when they were comparing the Reference to another Rock TT. Unfortunately there was a lot of chat going on with a rather eager "customer". Either way between all the chat it sounded very rich, bold & warm with plenty of drive. Very distinctive type of sound emanating from the speakers. Reminded me of a valve type sound. Can't be sure what equipment was in use. Wasn't really to my liking.

"For the first time in an awfully long time Townshend Audio took a room to demonstrate their Allegri Reference preamp and Seismic isolation products via Glastonbury Tor loudspeakers and hybrid valve/Class D amplifiers that Max Townshend developed but never put into production."

From UK Audio Show 2022 Pt. 1 | The Ear (the-ear.net)

I missed this room.

Show sound ... . Just shows, no pun intended, it is nigh on impossible to get it right. The ProAc room mentioned being one example. Aside from personal preferences, seating is rarely optimal unless you sit somewhere in or close to the 'sweet spot'. Exhibitors often play unfamiliar music, rooms are mostly suboptimal.

Perhaps they should use more room correction software even though that will only address one issue partly and I can see the Triode Purist brigade baulk at the thought.

Wammers largely succeed...

"For the first time in an awfully long time Townshend Audio took a room to demonstrate their Allegri Reference preamp and Seismic isolation products via Glastonbury Tor loudspeakers and hybrid valve/Class D amplifiers that Max Townshend developed but never put into production."

From UK Audio Show 2022 Pt. 1 | The Ear (the-ear.net)

I missed this room.

Yes, plenty of Townshend isolation platforms. They had several speakers lined up not sure which ones were in operation at the time but by the sound of it, the BIGGEST!

hybrid valve/Class D amplifiers that Max Townshend developed but never put into production."

I guess that makes my assumption right then, valves involved.

There was nothing at the show I wanted to take home, well apart from a few things like DACs and TT's that I would hope sounded better at home. The Audio Note new speakers were lacklustre with no low end high end resolution was fine but that doesn't excite me anyway, the stock AN were okay, but I'm not a big fan of corner loaded bass and no EQ to manage nodes. Although at least they had some

Some smaller speakers were interesting for a study or kitchen and the Kerr room awas okay, but not as good as I recall from last year. Why would anyone build a chrome eyeball that is -6db at 56Hz and then talk about bass ?!??

Reactions: GT

advertisement

Back