advertisement

UK AUDIO SHOW 2022

graystoke4

pfm Member
Hi, if you have nothing to do today, the uk audio show, is on today, 9oct, £10 in advance, £20 on the door,
De Vere Staverton Estate
Daventry Rd
Staverton
Northants

NN11 6JT
plenty going on 10am until 4pm, PS i could not get tickets, the site would not confirm my card, for some reason, so printed my attempt, that should do, might see you there, cheers andy,

Went last year, liked the show, really disliked the hotel, and the surrounding area. Finding a decent place to eat and drink turned out to be beyond us. Not going this year.

I live in the next village to Staverton where the show is held. I can certainly say that there is loads of great places to eat and get a drink, from the local pub In the village of Staverton to all the other local pubs in near by village's to the main town of daventry just a 2 miles away.
Plus the hotel is clean and tidy and has great facilities from a championship 18 hole golf course, swimming pool, gym etc.
Can't see what's not to like really?

Emilen Audio - best sounding room
3 square audio - Ayala book shelf's - absolutely amazing, should have had a queue out the door, a close second
Monopulse - best sub £2k setup
Icon Audio - awesome warehouse clearance deals, - approx £2k gets valve integrated and loudspeaker
Kerr Acoustic - much better than before, but still not convinced, more on this later
Russell K - Red 50's - upper mid sounded harsh, Russell agreed with this, possibly room dynamics
Proac - sounded poor, very harsh, too forward top end.
Falcon Acoustics - Jerry is top guy - awesome setup, both bookshelfs and standmounts.

The hotel is great, didn’t go there for the show but have been there many times in the last few years for work conferences.

I guess it depends what you want. Me and my friends are into the (not particularly 'new' nowadays) craft beer scene. There seems to be a huge dearth of that style available in the area. And hotel food, generally mass catering, disappointing or overpriced wine lists, that sort of thing. I'd rather not; if I'm paying for a weekend away I'd like there to be more of a sense of occasion about the food and drink.

So did anyone here go to this show? I did and really enjoyed it. From the ultra-expensive to the affordable - it was all there to be seen and heard.

Russel Kaufmann

10:30am lecture 3 step process on how to position loudspeakers
1) Distance from back wall
2) Distance apart
3) Toe in

ufhRF2b.jpg

His Red K120's sounded amazing in this room.

There were relatively major issues getting into Staverton Hotel - the car park was full. There was an unsigned overflow in a nearby field, that Chestergroup made no-one aware of. This left it to the hotel owner/supervisor to direct traffic by shouting accross a busy road. The problem is on a busy road it became very dangerous right turning, being told to wait in the middle of road, and then go straight on.
This meant several were late for the Russ K lecture.
-1 for the organisers/hotel on this one.

Easy solution next time - put some signs out.

N5JvIki.jpg

Russ K's room
Unfortunatly his baby K50's sounded harsh - upper mid, Russell agreed with this. I reckon it's the Naim ?uniti? amp, Russell reckons it's the room.
Probably both... shame as his big speakers sounded amazing, and Russell has a great (humble) personality and logic behind his designs.

tKb3ZUG.jpg

Info

ngxoPJX.jpg

Final lecture at 5pm on Loudspeaker design
Anyone who heard this was in for a treat!

icOn Passive Pre Amps
(Not to be confused with Icon Audio the valve amp company)

YO4VHdF.jpg

This room sounded amazing - I rank it 3/4th overall.
The owner was great and let me have the volume on a remote!
There was a CD player, so we could play the Bob Marley - Stir it Up (Yes that's us)

Would love to know the complete spec of this system?

They also played this Liberty album, which sounded so cool.
Liberty - YouTube

QpJlCTr.jpg

Alphason
Alphason Audio - Setting the standard in Hi Fi
utcfkcN.jpg

Right speaker dropped out, and owner bamboozeled us with lingo. At a show, I just want to play my track on your system and see what it sounds like...

etnJyLl.jpg

Another room which didn't work - needed mains cables.
9mTzlqn.jpg

TWWkT1R.jpg

Tip for organisers - let the vendors come on Thursday, so they have 2 days for set up. Sat AM things were such a rush still.

Last edited:
General Corridor shots:
zZUEraK.jpg

GIK seem to know what they are doing with sound panels - quite a few rooms used them.
Spot the guy using 'the force' on a light bulb

R8gk0Ad.jpg

Chord

Can't remember this room...sorry
xDl1YU6.jpg

Crazy headphone room - hifonix, packed! Not a spare seat in town
4vyXDMa.jpg

FALCON

Great room this
Falcon M50 - shame they cost £12k, something special with this bass driver, perfect timing, speed, depth and tunefulness. Good imaging too for a floor stander - joseph d'appolito style I guess helps.
2yjK35a.jpg

Played Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way, great toe tapping, no harshness, clean, great imaging. Awesome set up.
I rated this on par with icOn room - joint 3/4th for me.

3lrjAZv.jpg

Valve amp used by Falcon

W0HZ9pS.jpg

Falcon M10 - these were better than the Russ K Red 50's - similar price and size. However I reckon 3 Square Audio Ayals might be the pick of the small bookshelfs

Track that Jerry Bloomfield played
2LpHWpE.jpg

Great room
Just a -1 for not having a CD player and therefore no 'Stir it up'.

Apologies to Jerry for suggesting both his speakers were kit made ;)
I thought Falcon only did kit speakers...oops!

Jerry has a great presence and personality, and to run a twin setup room by himself - great achievement. Vote Jerry for next years audio show chairman...:)

Last edited:

advertisement

Back