advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

International managers do not have to coach their players how to kick the ball, but should be telling them how he wants them to play, informing them of the opposition and what to expect.
You quoted a recent post of mine and stated "what a lot of tosh" when in fact you are coming round to seeing things as I do going by the quoted post and posts made after, strange. Maybe an avatar of a wooden spoon (for stirring) might be appropriate. 😁
I think it’s wishful thinking that you are winning me round. Your certainty is quite charming in a way but you’ll criticise Southgate no matter what.

I don’t think club ‘managers coach their players’ how to kick a ball, that probably happened way back in the under 10s.

I certainly don’t think Southgate is blameless but he’s the best manager we’ve had for a very long time. I believe it was you used the term ‘coached by their manager’, something of an oxymoron.

I think that playing with natural wingers would help Jude to realise the channel that he should be occupying. I hope so - everyone wants to feel good about the national team.

6 - defensive midfield
8 - box to box
10 - behind the striker

So what's being said is that Bellingham should be operating alongside Rice out of possession and in possession can move forward.
Is this what he was being criticised for, running around & playing too many roles?

He’s certainly dropped off in terms of form after the first game. His achievements this season would suggest he is more effective as an attacking player?

Unfortunately this is what happens when we don’t have the ideal player for each position, the big clubs can just dip into the transfer market. I reckon he’s probably better as a 10.

While I think the standard of the lesser teams is quite a bit better than it used to be - most teams have at least a few European top league players - let's be realistic about Slovenia. Their keeper plays for Atletico and that's about it. One of their starting players last night, Jan Mlakar, made six appearances on loan at a very middling Championship QPR a few years ago, the year loan was cut short in January after which he went to Wigan, where he made one appearance. In domestic league terms Slovenia would be two levels below England.

England actually looked a lot better when the likes of Maguire, Phillips and Sterling were in the team.
Some players raise their game at international level; very good point though. I know their keeper is very highly rated.

I think that playing with natural wingers would help Jude to realise the channel that he should be occupying. I hope so - everyone wants to feel good about the national team.
We don’t really seem to have natural wingers any more, definitely play more narrow in the modern game. It’s hard to keep up. Gordon & Palmer seem to cut in a lot more as part of a front 3?

Don't see why I should suffer alone so feel like I should share. I've been plagued watching these England games with an ear worm...."come on, come on, 'urry up..."

Is this what he was being criticised for, running around & playing too many roles?

He’s certainly dropped off in terms of form after the first game. His achievements this season would suggest he is more effective as an attacking player?

Unfortunately this is what happens when we don’t have the ideal player for each position, the big clubs can just dip into the transfer market. I reckon he’s probably better as a 10.
Yes.
Attacking midfielder. He's been played as a 10 at Real as they have Kroos/Modric and Camavinga and Valverde in midfield. Also they don't have a traditional 9.

Foden is better as a 10 than Bellingham when Kane is playing as he is better creatively.
Foden's quick thinking and speed of decision making and skill on the half-turn is wasted out wide.
Also Bellingham playing as a 6/8 will give Rice the support he's been missing out of possession.
And Jude won't be gassed after 60.
IMO.

Yes.
Attacking midfielder. He's been played as a 10 at Real as they have Kroos/Modric and Camavinga and Valverde in midfield. Also they don't have a traditional 9.

Foden is better as a 10 than Bellingham when Kane is playing as he is better creatively.
Foden's quick thinking and speed of decision making and skill on the half-turn is wasted out wide.
Also Bellingham playing as a 6/8 will give Rice the support he's been missing out of possession.
And Jude won't be gassed after 60.
IMO.
I think the best of Rice is as a box-box player, Arteta gets the best out him and he plays with either Jorginho or Partey.

Maybe an Arsenal fan can comment?

I would select one of Rice or Bellingham. Picking them both basically puts Rice into the Jorginho role and he's wasted there, imo. Rice and Phillips looked a good combination, imo. It's a replacement for Phillips that is needed. Or Phillips needs a new club to kick start his career.

Alternatively, 3 box-box midfielders in a straight 4-3-3.

I think the best of Rice is as a box-box player, Arteta gets the best out him and he plays with either Jorginho or Partey.

Maybe an Arsenal fan can comment?

I would select one of Rice or Bellingham. Picking them both basically puts Rice into the Jorginho role and he's wasted there, imo. Rice and Phillips looked a good combination, imo. It's a replacement for Phillips that is needed. Or Phillips needs a new club to kick start his career.

Alternatively, 3 box-box midfielders in a straight 4-3-3.
That's a really good point and a tricky one for me.
I agree Rice is better box to box but we don't have an obvious 6 as a replacement.
Alternatively I know you favour the 4-3-3 NUFC route of two 8's but that has gotten hairy for us against press resistant top opposition. That Foden lad and KdB getting in between midfield and defence! I fear similar as England will now face better sides. It would certainly be the brave option and might encourage Stones to come out with the ball?
Anyway there's no way Gareth will do it so it's moot!

Well I'm necessarily using shorthand too try and get my points across briefly.
A 6 would be a defensive midfielder.
An 8 would be an offensive midfielder who carries the ball
A 10 is a forward/offensive midfielder sitting behind the 9 and linking play.
Strange how his name as just cropped up, but this question popped into my head when reading your post. What number then do you give to a 'playmaker' aka De Bruyne. This is the type of player England need, it works successfully with Foden at City. Anyone fancy Bellingham trying to put his foot on the ball and play this role.
You never answered, but I will assume a number 4 would be a central defensive player.

I think it’s wishful thinking that you are winning me round. Your certainty is quite charming in a way but you’ll criticise Southgate no matter what.

I don’t think club ‘managers coach their players’ how to kick a ball, that probably happened way back in the under 10s.

I certainly don’t think Southgate is blameless but he’s the best manager we’ve had for a very long time. I believe it was you used the term ‘coached by their manager’, something of an oxymoron.
Well your posts are certainly misleading, you're saying one thing and meaning another.
I will strongly disagree with you regarding Southgate being the best manager we have had for a long time.
I have already said managers don't coach players how to kick a ball, please keep up.
You only quote half of what I said, managers must coach the tactics he wants to use and how he feels the opposition are going to play.
Please read my posts thoroughly, plus re-read your own posts before posting so there is no confusion in what you mean to say.

advertisement

Back