advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

Trent wandering around like that for England, as Matthew suggests, has not been fun for Rice.

In American Football modern offence is about isolating defensive players and giving them impossible choices which what this system does to Rice. He is constantly in positions where he can do a) or b) and knows both are "mistakes". It's made even worse given he is a defensive midfielder and so the basis for all those modern football concepts about pivots and transition and so on, on which the modern game is built.

So instead of creating problems for the other side to solve we are instead offering them a ready made way to put us under pressure and win.

So instead of creating problems for the other side to solve we are instead offering them a ready made way to put us under pressure and win.

Yup, England constantly invite pressure with such a weak midfield. Worryingly, playing Gallagher hasn’t helped Rice, and Wharton and Mainoo have zero experience. I mentioned before that France have Camavinga and Tchouaméni on their bench, and either would walk into this England side.

Maybe Southgate will have to play Bellingham further back. Then Walter can be more central, as he has in his best games for City this season. Sticking him out wide with no actual LB behind isn’t working, funnily enough.

Contrary to the opinion of some posters here, I genuinely believe we have some top, dare I even say, world class players such as Kane, Bellingham and Potter. Yesterday’s performance was diabolical. The blame starts with the manager!
Down through the many years…Substitute those players for others with strong reputations going into major tournaments & the same English Malaise was there shining bright.

You need more than 2-3 world class players ideally. Often they are vying for the same position.

I think Walker would get in most teams as would Saka, Rice & Kane. Bellingham can probably added to that but he is very young.

We appear to struggle producing players who can dictate tempo & lead the team by example.

Italian players are often more tactically aware.

Strange first half, subdued, almost like a pre tournament friendly.

Both teams would run rings around this England team. The quality of passing & technical ability is startling after watching England, whereas normally it's par for the course on a weekly basis.

I said the other day, he always seems the best player on the pitch, regardless of the opposition & his own team mates, he glides over the grass with such grace & ease, it's beautiful to watch.
Always available, moving forward, one touch, real class. (And I’m an Arsenal fan). Depay will probably score now since I think he’s rubbish.

Slow with the ball, slow with the VAR, Europeans showing us the way so far. I’d have been gutted if that offside was given against England, keeper was never saving it.

Cheers BB

Slow with the ball, slow with the VAR, Europeans showing us the way so far. I’d have been gutted if that offside was given against England, keeper was never saving it.

Cheers BB
I didn't get it. The 'official' reason displayed on the telly live coverage last night was offside, but all the BBC commentary team and Linekars chums kept talking about was whether the Dutch guy impeded the goalie....so what was it?? (Crap game for the fans, even if both teams showed their skills).

I didn't get it. The 'official' reason displayed on the telly live coverage last night was offside, but all the BBC commentary team and Linekars chums kept talking about was whether the Dutch guy impeded the goalie....so what was it??
Dumfries is clearly beyond the last defender when Simons shoots, stood in an offside position. The law has been updated since the old line, ‘if he’s not interfering with play, what’s he doing on the pitch?’. The question is whether Dumfries is ‘involved in active play’ by ‘interfering with an opponent’…

IMG-2165.jpg

The offside law states: ’The attacking player is penalised for preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper's line of vision.’

The assistant ref flagged for offside, and the ref / VAR eventually decide not to overturn that decision.

A strange one, as Maignan isn’t really in position to save the shot if Dumfries isn’t there, though as they’re right next to each other, the ref / VAR subjectively decide if Maignan is impeded, whether Dumfries is ‘preventing an opponent from playing’. Had Maignan dived, he’d have probably bumped into Dumfries and it would have been clearer. But he didn’t.

My first thought was, if that’s not given offside, attackers would stand next to the keeper for every free kick near the goal.

tl;dr… If you’re Dutch, it’s a goal. If you’re French, it’s not.

Dumfries is clearly beyond the last defender when Simons shoots, stood in an offside position. The law has been updated since the old line, ‘if he’s not interfering with play, what’s he doing on the pitch?’. The question is whether Dumfries is ‘involved in active play’ by ‘interfering with an opponent’…

IMG-2165.jpg

The offside law states: ’The attacking player is penalised for preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper's line of vision.’

The assistant ref flagged for offside, and the ref / VAR eventually decide not to overturn that decision.

A strange one, as Maignan isn’t really in position to save the shot if Dumfries isn’t there, though as they’re right next to each other, the ref / VAR subjectively decide if Maignan is impeded, whether Dumfries is ‘preventing an opponent from playing’. Had Maignan dived, he’d have probably bumped into Dumfries and it would have been clearer. But he didn’t.

My first thought was, if that’s not given offside, attackers would stand next to the keeper for every free kick near the goal.

tl;dr… If you’re Dutch, it’s a goal. If you’re French, it’s not.
If you’ve got Holland in the sweepstake it’s a goal!

Cheers BB

Strange first half, subdued, almost like a pre tournament friendly.

Both teams would run rings around this England team. The quality of passing & technical ability is startling after watching England, whereas normally it's par for the course on a weekly basis.

that was not a good game for me, they could both qualify with a draw and they knew it and played it as such

advertisement

Back