advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

France and England are much the same today at 4-1 in most bookies although a few give England 7-2
It does raise the question then. How can a team that have not won anything since 1966 become favourites, particularly when they lost to iceland just before. And the other friendlies did not reveal anything special.

Cracker in the earlier game.
Pleased we have signed Radu Dragusin, he was injured when he arrived so he did not play much for us. Hope he plays like that for us.

In my decades of arguing the toss in the wide ocean of footballing opinions I think this is the first time I've seen such an unimpeachably bad take that you could say it's objectively wrong in the same way that false claims about physics are.
Kane may as well have not been on the pitch. We need players who can hold & use the ball well, not hold & attempt to get a foul, as Kane stated he did in his after match interview.

Eze would scare the shite out of any team at this tournament, match his speed with Palmer's guile & a cool head & we may have an attacking force. Foden was woeful, as he usually is in an England shirt, when not supported by excellence at every turn as he is in a Man City shirt..

My main thought on tonight's game is that the commentary and coverage is *awful*. Shearer in the commentary box is meant to be the expert analyst and "colour man" but he not only lacks colour but he talks *way* too much and his analysis is like listening to a bloke in the pub.

Am also sick of the endless England at major tournaments psychodrama narrative that pervades all the coverage. If Lineker does another "Never easy with England is it?" wink to the camera I will be standing shoulder to shoulder with all those vile people who wanted him sacked for saying children shouldn't drown in the channel or whatever it was.
I have enjoyed Shearer in this role.

I think Lineker has earned the right in an England shirt to make cringy comments. I will take this over Keane & Ian Wright. Keane is the most annoying, toe curling watch in tv punditry.

You call that conversation, no, its nowhere near that. But you carry on with your mates, who like to deride anyone who has a different viewpoint.
This is football, I understand everyone has their point of view.(except me).Do you see me slagging someone off for that? Never. But Woodface and Slaggons den have issues, that dont allow freedom of speech, unless its their freedom. I'm happy for anyone to disagree, civily with me, but some are just not capable.
What is your point of view?

It does raise the question then. How can a team that have not won anything since 1966 become favourites, particularly when they lost to iceland just before. And the other friendlies did not reveal anything special.
Only won at home too - it's an enormous advantage

Kane may as well have not been on the pitch. We need players who can hold & use the ball well, not hold & attempt to get a foul, as Kane stated he did in his after match interview.

Eze would scare the shite out of any team at this tournament, match his speed with Palmer's guile & a cool head & we may have an attacking force. Foden was woeful, as he usually is in an England shirt, when not supported by excellence at every turn as he is in a Man City shirt..
It's not what many expected given the criticism of the England defence in recent times. The problems look to be in midfield and the front 3 in terms of the balance and mix of players. It could be the Southgate focus group is trying to fit certain individuals into the XI under pressure from the media and general fawning/clamour. All imo, of course.

It's not what many expected given the criticism of the England defence in recent times. The problems look to be in midfield and the front 3 in terms of the balance and mix of players. It could be the Southgate focus group is trying to fit certain individuals into the XI under pressure from the media and general fawning/clamour. All imo, of course.
Positives are, it's the first game & we won, something we have not done very often in tournaments, we are top of the group & will now most probably qualify for the next round.

Negatives, well it's actually a positive of sorts. If Gareth gets his head out of his arse England have players in this squad who could win this, but doubt they will be put to use in any meaningful way.

Kane has served the team well over the years but Gareth is falling into the same trap all of the previous managers do, failing to be brave & sticking with what is safe, for him. Be brave Gareth, if Kane's use is now to hold the ball up & gain fouls, drag him off & put some power & guile up front in the form of Eze & Palmer.

Not going to happen of course, which is wholly frustrating.

Watching Belgium now, imagine how frustrated their fans are with this team over the years.

It can only be patriotic punters backing them, bookmakers are not known for their generosity. I don't follow the betting (unless I have to listen to Talksport and it's rammed down your ears) but I would expect England to have drifted after yesterday and maybe Spain have shortened. Mugs game (although I knew someone who won £1.3M on the horses).

Cheers BB

Kane had no service, absolutely, and Bellingham ended up at the edge of the box, occupying the space instead of making it. He is a great talent but, sometimes, mavericks are not great for the team, even though they may individually shine. The media blowing smoke up his arse will not help. I hope he adjusts because I want the whole team to succeed.
Bellingham is not a 'maverick', he worked really hard, did loads of defending & scored the crucial goal. Is this the start of England fans getting on his back?

He's scored 17 goals from midfield for Real Madrid, won the Champions League, he's 20.

Positives are, it's the first game & we won, something we have not done very often in tournaments, we are top of the group & will now most probably qualify for the next round.

Negatives, well it's actually a positive of sorts. If Gareth gets his head out of his arse England have players in this squad who could win this, but doubt they will be put to use in any meaningful way.

Kane has served the team well over the years but Gareth is falling into the same trap all of the previous managers do, failing to be brave & sticking with what is safe, for him. Be brave Gareth, if Kane's use is now to hold the ball up & gain fouls, drag him off & put some power & guile up front in the form of Eze & Palmer.

Watching Belgium now, imagine how frustrated their fans are with this team over the years.
Eze has shown great form this season but he's not a striker. Are you suggesting we play with a false 9? I thought Kane was laboured last night and would have put Watkins on for the last 20 minutes myself. Southgate won't play without a number 9, he'd be slaughtered if he did and we didn't score.

Cheers BB

You are aware that Kane has been the best striker in Europe this year? He's at the absolute peak of his powers....

advertisement

Back