advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

Did you see the Coventry / Serbia flag :cool:😀 Coventry has long been twinned with Belgrade...

"Although twinned with Belgrade in 1957, the link actually goes back to 1953 when the Yugoslav Ambassador visited Coventry and offered a gift of timber from his native country for use in the new Civic Theatre, which when finished was named The Belgrade Theatre."

Last edited:
Great start, England should have pushed on and scored another two, but what happens, we can't pass, can't control the ball, are all the players tired mentally? This isn't the first time, as I mentioned earlier the same happened against Italy and Croatia in previous tournaments.
A truly outstanding performance by Bellingham, he covered so much ground, showed strength and control. I'm a big fan of Foden, a little disappointed in his performance last night although I'd stick with him for one more game. We lacked some one wide on the left, I'd like to see Gordon replace TAA, and I'd also be telling Kane to remember he is our centre forward and to stay up front.
The BBC commentary team was terrible, remove Shearer and don't replace him with anyone else.

1-0, enough said.
No, it’s not, you can’t perform like that over full matches and expect to keep winning 1-0. They got away with one. There will be an examination by the focus group of what went wrong in the second half. Or there should be.

I’m happy we won, got the 3 points but there is work to be done. Overall, they were too defensive and lost their way again. Let’s hope Arnold doesn’t start in midfield in the next game and there is a better balance to the side.

Apologises in advance to Alex if that is again explaining football. 😎

Would anyone notice if Starmer and Lineker, Farage and Shearer, swapped places until July 4th?

Great start, England should have pushed on and scored another two, but what happens, we can't pass, can't control the ball, are all the players tired mentally?
It was a very good goal. Serbia set up way too deep and realised their mistake after about 25mins, then they looked a different side. I didn't see the 2nd half.

I also noticed how bad Shearer was as a commentator. It really was like listening to your pissed up mate in the pub. How many times did he rant on that Kane needs to stay up front?

Any manager who tries to squeeze TTA into central midfield to move Foden wide-left is really not very good. I hope Southgate learns, but I am not hopeful. At best, talented though he is, TTA is back-up to Walker. Why? Because he is not as good a central midfielder as Rice, Bellingham, or Foden, and he is not as good a defender as Walker. Bellingham did have a decent game, but no more than that, IMO. He has tremendous athleticism but tries to do too much himself, not looking for others in a better position. He is 'all over the pitch' because of exactly that, and his positional discipline is, frankly, not good, and negatively affected the performance of some others - Kane and Foden especially. Well done to Declan Rice, who I thought was very good. I thought Saka shone in the first half but faded. Pickford is a big issue, for me, and his continual long balls to a marked centre-forward was 1990s football in 2024, as was Shearer's appalling commentary - which top sides continually look for "The out-ball"? You are not a cheerleader for a small number of players deemed to be poster-boys, you are there to give professional analysis.

We got away with it last night. That won't keep happening. Our defence is not as good as other sides, so our midfield and attack need to be better.
What changes should we make? IMO:

----------Pickford-----------
Walker Stones Guehi Shaw
------------Rice--------------
------Foden --Bellingham --
--Saka------Kane-------- Eze

I would rather have Palmer than Saka but I think the latter deserves to keep his place. Instruction to Pickford - stop hoofing it!

Decent from England until Serbia woke up, which exposed the midfield. Foden needs to be dropped or moved. Same for TAA. We are also missing Shaw.

I also noticed how bad Shearer was as a commentator. It really was like listening to your pissed up mate in the pub. How many times did he rant on that Kane needs to stay up front2
world class striker staying forward keeps 2 of their defenders from advancing, Shearer was repeating the line as he was probably seeing silly tweets saying drop Kane, like a few on here

Reflecting on the game the morning after, we got the 3 points, it takes a lot of pressure off for advancing into the next round.

We look uncomfortable playing against 10 men behind the ball, keep hold of it, pull the other team wide, on both flanks and an opening will come.

I think Kane looked tired after an hour and Watkins would have been a better pressure release for the final 20 minutes. I felt Cole should have been on for half an hour too.

I think we have to remember that Serbia aren’t a wild card, they have players in good European teams and are very physically strong, teams like that don’t just roll over.

There’s room for improvement but we’re off to a solid start, there’s no point peaking in the group stage.

Cheers BB

Reflecting on the game the morning after, we got the 3 points, it takes a lot of pressure off for advancing into the next round.

We look uncomfortable playing against 10 men behind the ball, keep hold of it, pull the other team wide, on both flanks and an opening will come.

I think Kane looked tired after an hour and Watkins would have been a better pressure release for the final 20 minutes. I felt Cole should have been on for half an hour too.

I think we have to remember that Serbia aren’t a wild card, they have players in good European teams and are very physically strong, teams like that don’t just roll over.

There’s room for improvement but we’re off to a solid start, there’s no point peaking in the group stage.

Cheers BB
I agree, with just a note about Kane. He didn't touch the ball in the first half as he had no service, was just not included. He was looking tired, but bored aswell just chasing the ball.
But more importantly, shearer needs to go and listen to his commentary. He might be less smug after those mutterings, but the beeb is rubbish generally anyway👍

I agree, with just a note about Kane. He didn't touch the ball in the first half as he had no service, was just not included. He was looking tired, but bored aswell just chasing the ball.
But more importantly, shearer needs to go and listen to his commentary. He might be less smug after those mutterings, but the beeb is rubbish generally anyway👍
Kane had no service, absolutely, and Bellingham ended up at the edge of the box, occupying the space instead of making it. He is a great talent but, sometimes, mavericks are not great for the team, even though they may individually shine. The media blowing smoke up his arse will not help. I hope he adjusts because I want the whole team to succeed.

advertisement

Back