advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

Tbf having watched it again the challenge from Rodri looks featherweight and the Croat takes a dive. And it was 3-0 anyway so....
I agree it was a lightweight challenge, but a penalty was given and I think I would also have given the penalty. I was confused since it was clear to me the goalkeeper dived forward and took the ball well off his line. It made me wonder if the rule has been changed. With VAR and all the officials who must have seen the replay and yet no one has mentioned this.

I was confused since it was clear to me the goalkeeper dived forward and took the ball well off his line.
The keeper has to have their back foot level with the line, that’s all...

IMG-2157.jpg

Just about. : )

I thought a foul that denied a clear goal scoring opportunity was an automatic red card. I didn’t understand that stuff about encroachment.

I've had a quick Google and, at least for the Premier League, VAR does not check GK position at penalties. It is on-field officials only.
May be same in Euros.

I thought a foul that denied a clear goal scoring opportunity was an automatic red card. I didn’t understand that stuff about encroachment.
See my reply above "Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball" . Unless there was dangerous play - see Porteous decision in Scotland game.

I've had a quick Google and, at least for the Premier League, VAR does not check GK position at penalties. It is on-field officials only.
May be same in Euros.
So we can't always blame VAR but the officials, although I thought VAR looked at everything. Rules need to be simplified in my opinion, making the officials job easier. My biggest gripe, interfering with play, if a player is not interfering with play what's he doing on the pitch?

So we can't always blame VAR but the officials, although I thought VAR looked at everything. Rules need to be simplified in my opinion, making the officials job easier. My biggest gripe, interfering with play, if a player is not interfering with play what's he doing on the pitch?
VAR does not check everything or the games would be even longer. According to Wiki:
There are four categories of decisions that can be reviewed.
That's already quite a lot

Worst of the lot is Lee Dixon - dull and full of bull****. Play commentary bingo with me and listen out for Lee D talking about ‘down the lines’, ‘through the channels’, and worst of all ‘in the pockets’. What the **** is he on about! Stupid meaningless jargon just gets my goat…..
I like Lee Dixon, he has a wicked dry sense of humour, and it helps if you actually understand the "stupid meaningless jargon"! ;)

Well the expectations are being ramped up, by radio 5. 7am this morning asking england supporters what they think the score will be. Jeez I can't put up with that till 8pm:)

Happy Fathers Day if you are one

Well the expectations are being ramped up, by radio 5. 7am this morning asking england supporters what they think the score will be. Jeez I can't put up with that till 8pm:)

Happy Fathers Day if you are one

According to the tabloids, a psychic in Serbia has predicted that Serbia will be thrashed by England. Good enough for me.

Poland v Netherlands…

Just said in commentary that Ronald Koeman was in the Dutch side that beat Germany in this stadium in their Euro 88 semi-final.

Disappointingly, no mention of him infamously wiping his arse on Olaf Thon’s shirt afterwards…

Koeman-R-thon.jpg

(Edit: 1-0. Not smiling now.)

I like Lee Dixon, he has a wicked dry sense of humour, and it helps if you actually understand the "stupid meaningless jargon"! ;)
Only an Arsenal fan could possibly like his commentary. What is it with Arsenal players - now we have Keown on BBC?

BBC have hit a new low in the dullness factor. Murphy, Williams and Moyes. How much more grey and dull do we have to tolerate….

Another entertaining half. Poland better than I expected. Dutch weak on set pieces it seems during qualifying and today. Zonal...hmm.

Keown is the one I can’t stand. Co Comms is not easy & some are better than others. Always amuses when people are very negative about presenters, it’s a very difficult skill to even be very average at.

But Keown, man, he barely reaches the lowest threshold.

advertisement

Back