advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

Hard luck Denmark, they played much better than the Eng game. Hojlund had chances. Really unfortunate passage of play from Denmark’s disallowed goal to Germany’s pen. Did anyone on the pitch actually appeal for handball?

Spain will beat Germany.

Interesting that proximity no longer has any bearing on handball. Don’t think the present rules will last long.

Offside is more tricky if we continue with the tech. Offside is offside even if it’s a toenail. Even Roy Keane accepted it.

Southgate wary of ‘losing continuity’ by making too many team changes.
So another mind numbing frustrating game on the cards then.
Slovakia beat Belgium in their opening game and I’m sure from what they have seen so far will fancy their chances.

Denmark were very unlucky. Can’t really blame the red as the rules & guidance direct his officiating. I can kind of understand the thinking behind the ending of the proximity rule but it does add a strong element of subjectivity.

So far VAR is following the same arc as Instant Replay in the NFL and when that sport reached this point (the "What is a catch?" stage) the NFL started changing and simplifying rules which had been exposed as absurd by the process. Although from what I know of FIFA/UEFA that sounds like the very last thing they would do.

I just tried to refresh my memory as to how "off side" works, but it is incredibly complicated. I wonder that a referee, or linesman, can keep all this stuff in his head and apply it a fraction of a second.

advertisement

Back