advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

I honestly don't think they've been as bad as the hysterical reaction suggests.

Some really excellent players and a couple of world class ones too, Kane is fantastic I don't really understand the criticism of him to be honest.

I tend to agree, completely over the top. It must get you down eventually, maybe that is what some of the fans/journalists desire

Please post "hysterical reactions" here. I've yet to see any. Thanks.
England have done well despite Southgate - some examples from this tournament so far:
He's named a squad with no fit left backs.
He has started a tournament without a clear idea of his formation and game plan on and off the ball.
Southgate has experimented with TAA in a system using a 9 who can't turn and run into space and with only one wide player in Saka who can bomb on. He took TAA off in the last game and then brought on Eze and Watkins who do run into space and would have benefitted from Trent's passing range.
He's played Foden, one of the best players in the PL at opening defences, out of position on the left and he's played Bellingham as a roving 10 so that they get in each others way (or at least they do not seem to have been coached at which channels/runs to operate in) and when he'd be better as a 6/8. Bellingham would be excellent at breaking up opposition play and making breaks and passing to forwards. Southgate said "I've not been able to replace Kalvin Philips" Use Bellingham then! He could also still get in the box. He'd be more involved in setting the tempo of play from a deeper position.
He has given zero minutes to the best left sided player of the season at stretching play in Gordon - which would have suited TAA's long diagonals.
We have lacked game control but he has not featured Wharton.
He did nothing to get the team up the pitch when they sat back against Denmark. Coach from the touchline...
He brought Eze on in the last game with zero tactical instructions. Either that or Eze was rendered clueless for half an hour.
Harry Kane said "we didn't know how to press" Denmark - who's fault is that? The coach!
OK I'm getting hysterical now. Or am I, like a boatload of commentators who know far more about the game, merely pointing out the tactical deficiencies of the manager? And yes he's a great bloke!
Still, we should beat Slovenia and comfortably top the worst group in the competition.

Hopefully they’ll let the shackles off a bit tonight, now they’ve qualified. I just want to see on the front foot a bit more and on our toes, very flat footed in the last game.

Cheers BB

My response was one purely of statistics...As in what percentage of games do England ever beat the opposition by 3 clear goals? Purely from gut feel (and memory of results shown on the news etc) I'm going with a very low percentage. As I said previously, England have a habit of playing down to the lowest common denomiator. Teams that you'd expect them to beat easily and resoundingly (as in 3-4 clear goals) they end up only beating by 1 or 2 and struggle even to achieve that.

Also, let's be honest, just from the general perspective of international football, a 3 goal clear win is a relatively uncommon thing.

advertisement

Back