advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

I think some of this is harsh on Clarke, he did a good job getting qualification. I don’t think it’s disrespectful to say that none of the Scots would get into the England side if everyone was fit. Clarke set the team out to the strengths of the squad his best two players are full backs. Pretty unattractive to watch but it’s how they got there. They were terrible against Germany but the other games were tight.

I imagine that will be the end of Clarke, would David Moyes want it for more of the same?

Cheers BB

I think some of this is harsh on Clarke, he did a good job getting qualification. I don’t think it’s disrespectful to say that none of the Scots would get into the England side if everyone was fit. Clarke set the team out to the strengths of the squad his best two players are full backs. Pretty unattractive to watch but it’s how they got there. They were terrible against Germany but the other games were tight.

I imagine that will be the end of Clarke, would David Moyes want it for more of the same?

Cheers BB

He has Keira’s Tierney, who was probably one of the best left back’s in Europe pre injury problems, and plays him completely out of position to accommodate Robertson who is actually pish as a left back and he plays Calum McGregor out of position too the guy is a total 1980’s coach who is way too conservative, he had James Forrest on the bench last night, Forrest is old now but he’s just had his best season in about four years, albeit it was only the last four months of the season, and he put on Lewis Morgan who cost him the match, the guy is total diddy.

This is the usual Scotland cr@p players who have played for years get played out of misplaced loyalty and in form players don’t get a game.

Same thing with Shankland who’s had the season of his career, he’s not a great player but he can score goals but is slow and carries a bit too much weight, but Adams gets the games and he’s very poor, played okay at times but the tactics employed meant he was mostly isolated.

I mean the number of caps Clarke has handed out to average to poor players is mind numbing, I’m not singling anyone out here but Kenny Miller has 69 caps and Danny McGrain, a world class full back, has 62, with the best will in the world there is just no comparison between the two players. There’s loads of examples like that.

The Germany game was a total disaster and cost Scotland a place in the next round of the tournament losing five goals in the first games was always going to be a mountain to climb even if Scotland had won last night those five goals would probably have put them out on four points eg the Belgian group could all end up on four points each and all of the teams have far better goals performance vis Scotland.

He has Keira’s Tierney, who was probably one of the best left back’s in Europe pre injury problems, and plays him completely out of position to accommodate Robertson who is actually pish as a left back and he plays Calum McGregor out of position too the guy is a total 1980’s coach who is way too conservative, he had James Forrest on the bench last night, Forrest is old now but he’s just had his best season in about four years, albeit it was only the last four months of the season, and he put on Lewis Morgan who cost him the match, the guy is total diddy.

This is the usual Scotland cr@p players who have played for years get played out of misplaced loyalty and in form players don’t get a game.

Same thing with Shankland who’s had the season of his career, he’s not a great player but he can score goals but is slow and carries a bit too much weight, but Adams gets the games and he’s very poor, played okay at times but the tactics employed meant he was mostly isolated.

I mean the number of caps Clarke has handed out to average to poor players is mind numbing, I’m not singling anyone out here but Kenny Miller has 69 caps and Danny McGrain, a world class full back, has 62, with the best will in the world there is just no comparison between the two players. There’s loads of examples like that.

The Germany game was a total disaster and cost Scotland a place in the next round of the tournament losing five goals in the first games was always going to be a mountain to climb even if Scotland had won last night those five goals would probably have put them out on four points eg the Belgian group could all end up on four points each and all of the teams have far better goals performance vis Scotland.
Yes I couldn’t understand the Shankland situation, Che Adam’s is bang average and not even the best striker at his club.

Who would you like to see in Clarke’s place?

Cheers BB

Yes I couldn’t understand the Shankland situation, Che Adam’s is bang average and not even the best striker at his club.

Who would you like to see in Clarke’s place?

Cheers BB

Hard to say to be honest the obvious is moyes but he’s just more of the same, if pushed I’d say Brendan Rogers but he’s not Scottish and I doubt very much if he’d be interested.

Adams got 16 in the Championship, which is no mean feat, he's a decent player averaging 1 goal in 3 appearances for a while. It's asking a lot of a wee man (5'9'') to play the sole attacking role, especially at that level. Shankland wouldn't have done any better, I'm sure. They needed the pair of them on the pitch! You know something's wrong when you're wishing you had Lyndon Yikes back!

Aye you could have bet your house on that ending.

Scotland were terrible probably the worst team in the tournament, there’s no getting away from that, the weird thing is that they do have very good players most of whom didn’t turn up.

I’ve been really critical of the goalkeeper but I thought he was our best player last night, Gilmore is too small and light to play at that level and McGinn was better last night but it’s a pretty low bar with him.

Clark is a really poor manager, he’s done well getting them through the qualifiers for the Euros but the guy’s an absolute dinosaur watching Scotland is like watching some really crap team from 1990.

Hungary deserved to win that game last night, they were poor too but much much better than Scotland.

I see that Varga is going to be okay, fractured cheekbone I think apparently he’s having an operation today but will miss the rest of the tournament.
Where the f*ck was Forrest?

Aye you could have bet your house on that ending.

Scotland were terrible probably the worst team in the tournament, there’s no getting away from that, the weird thing is that they do have very good players most of whom didn’t turn up.

I’ve been really critical of the goalkeeper but I thought he was our best player last night, Gilmore is too small and light to play at that level and McGinn was better last night but it’s a pretty low bar with him.

Clark is a really poor manager, he’s done well getting them through the qualifiers for the Euros but the guy’s an absolute dinosaur watching Scotland is like watching some really crap team from 1990.

Hungary deserved to win that game last night, they were poor too but much much better than Scotland.

I see that Varga is going to be okay, fractured cheekbone I think apparently he’s having an operation today but will miss the rest of the tournament.
What consistently baffles me is how Croatia, with a smaller population than Scotland, Denmark with a similar population, and the Netherlands with a small population in comparison to France, Germany etc. consistently produce world class players and frequently reach the latter stages of major competitions, while Scotland have never made it to the knockout stage?

When was the last truly world class player Scotland produced? And I’m talking home grown, not someone parachuted in cos their granny was from Alloa. Dalglish and Souness were forty years ago ffs. There’s something far wrong.

When was the last truly world class player Scotland produced? And I’m talking home grown, not someone parachuted in cos their granny was from Alloa. Dalglish and Souness were forty years ago ffs. There’s something far wrong.
I made this point upthread and I noticed the BBC pick up on it pre-match yesterday but it's the weakness of the Scottish leagues and the consequent lack of money trickling down to youth football. The way that money has grossly distorted the PL has left Scotland behind. They had some figure about scottish players making the PL being greatly reduced too.

What consistently baffles me is how Croatia, with a smaller population than Scotland, Denmark with a similar population, and the Netherlands with a small population in comparison to France, Germany etc. consistently produce world class players and frequently reach the latter stages of major competitions, while Scotland have never made it to the knockout stage?

Paul McStay probably and how many caps did he receive? John Collins definitely was world class.

The problem with Scotland is the bowling club mentality they hand out caps like confetti to average players and have done forever.

I remember when Dalglish was going for his hundredth cap, think the was on 97 or something at the time, and Ormonde dropped him because he would have beaten George Young's cap record, Young was a big lump and hopeless but he was the rangers captain, Dalglish eventually surpassed his record but that just sums Scotland up.

I made this point upthread and I noticed the BBC pick up on it pre-match yesterday but it's the weakness of the Scottish leagues and the consequent lack of money trickling down to youth football. The way that money has grossly distorted the PL has left Scotland behind. They had some figure about scottish players making the PL being greatly reduced too.
There's no doubt that the SPL is poor but at least half of that Scotland team play in England and a few of the players play at near the very top of the game down there ie Teirney, Roberston and McGinn who's had an amazing season with AV and is about to start in the CL next season.

Robertson has won a CL with Liverpool those are not poor players above in fact you could probably say that those two, along with Gilmore, have been the three most recent top class players Scotland have produced.

Paul McStay probably and how many caps did he receive?
A mercurial talent. His loyalty to Celtic was culpable in preventing a big move south. Had he done so, he would be talked about as one of the all time great Scottish (and British) players.

There's no doubt that the SPL is poor but at least half of that Scotland team play in England and a few of the players play at near the very top of the game down there ie Teirney, Roberston and McGinn who's had an amazing season with AV and is about to start in the CL next season.

Robertson has won a CL with Liverpool those are not poor players above in fact you could probably say that those two, along with Gilmore, have been the three most recent top class players Scotland have produced.
Many fewer than used to be the case and they make, relatively, many fewer starts, it was very revealing.

advertisement

Back