advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

Interesting stat: PL "passes per defensive action". Best Spurs - 8. Worst Forest - 17.
England - 28.
He's taken Gordon as an alternative to Rashford and Grealish based on form. And hasn't played him a single minute. Eze looked lost (in a "no one has told me what I'm meant to be doing here" kind of way when he came on).

You could also add, no fully fit left back. He's taken 26 players, how many of these will not even get a kick of the ball, this is a serious omission imo.
Yes, what I mean is that people will point the finger at his selections and everyone will have their own reasons. There's also no functioning midfield as people have pointed out. Making controversial selections is lose lose for a manager though most of the time. If Rashford and Grealish had let him down then they get at least a portion of the blame. There is enough space in the squad not to have to.

Still, he does not know his best team, and I maintain that the central midfield is the clear issue.
In addition, the omission of Jack Grealish, who would have provided huge support to the LB, was an error.
Regardless, you need to play a left-winger to give support to Trippier. Either Gordon or Eze would do fine.
Stones can easily step into midfield to allow Bellingham to join the attack, but Southgate seems to have stifled that.

---------------Pickford------------------
Walker---Stones------Guehi---Trippier
--------Bellingham-----Rice-----------
Palmer------------------------------Eze
----------------Foden------------------
-----------------Kane-------------------

4-2-3-1 without the ball

I said earlier in the thread, Southgate doesn't even know his best team.
He is out of his depth at this level, playing too many players out of position (not the first England manager to do this)
This does not account for players unable to control and pass the ball. I would love to know what Southgate is telling the players or if it is the players who don't want to be at the Euros, rather be on some far away beach relaxing.
I did think Walker played well and Guehi at least tried.
It will be interesting to see England's line up for our final group game and tactics used, hopefully yesterdays performance will act as a 'kick up the a--e' to both players and manager.
Finally, will someone tell Pickford to stay in his area, he has no business outside there.
It is weird to see players of the calibre of Rice making such simple errors.
When there is so little movement, it is so at odds with what these players are used to with their clubs, it must affect their confidence badly.

Still, he does not know his best team, and I maintain that the central midfield is the clear issue.
In addition, the omission of Jack Grealish, who would have provided huge support to the LB, was an error.
Regardless, you need to play a left-winger to give support to Trippier. Either Gordon or Eze would do fine.
Stones can easily step into midfield to allow Bellingham to join the attack, but Southgate seems to have stifled that.

---------------Pickford------------------
Walker---Stones------Guehi---Trippier
--------Bellingham-----Rice-----------
Palmer------------------------------Eze
----------------Foden------------------
-----------------Kane-------------------

4-2-3-1 without the ball
Pretty much agree with all that apart from Foden, he’s not done enough for me, Palmer deserves a go.

Cheers BB

Pretty much agree with all that apart from Foden, he’s not done enough for me, Palmer deserves a go.

Cheers BB
Palmer is a top-talent, but the issue isn't Foden (I would say that).
The issue is in the central midfield and it isn't allowing any forward player to shine.
The utter lack of collective press is bizarre.
I would have chosen Palmer for Saka but I think the latter justified his place after the first match.
If your central midfield is as deep as ours, pressing as a forward makes you look like an absolute numpty.
The whole team needs to press, not one or two.

can name 12, and use 5 in normal time. IIRC 1 more is allowed in extra time.

also read substitutions must occur within a maximum of three stoppages in play per team, excluding half-time and other match delays.

What exactly?
The tournament
the english FA have given the team a series of boutique, fashionable managers, who had a good resumé in charge, because of the class of player available, regularly, to them. Now, apart from Kane, you have NO world-class players . A squad of very good players, but importantly, no on-the-park leaders as in bygone days. Too many fans have been taken in by the premier league's propaganda. It is not the best league in the world. It has some of the best players in the world but none of them are English! From the very first minute, apart from several other tactical moves, Denmark simply did not play up their left-hand side ....at all... for 90 minutes. This left Walker bereft, in wide open spaces. Thought Southgate would have done something about that at half time...but no...Looks like he sent them out with a Hail Mary and 3 more defenders. Ah well...:cool:
4 points though and top of group.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ref players bring left behind.

@Spraggons Den agree. Those players replacing those omitted, and getting playtime, would answer some of GS critics.

The fact he can't see the pictures being painted on the pitch, is bewildering.

Regarding a fit LB, why not look for a player in the championship?

The fact he can't see the pictures being painted on the pitch, is bewildering
He's out of his depth, too negative in his outlook. The proof is in the pudding, look at our last match, plus previous matches against Croatia and Italy. When your team is on top, one goal is never enough.

Southgate out of his depth with this squad - we should be playing way better than this turgid rubbish
It's been going on for decades with England, the '98 team is possibly the best England team on paper in recent memory, yet we failed because the team didn't gel. It's not always about picking the best players at a particular time, balancing the team is more important. Gareth started his England career doing just this but has fallen into the same trap as everyone before him at this tournament. He has been a lucky manager, if you look back at those tournaments, England had quite an easy ride but ultimately failed when faced with serious opposition.

Either Gareth makes some hard decisions regarding his star players or the system has to change to counter Kane's lack of pace & his ageing years. Put the ball in the penalty area & Kane will score goals, but it's not that easy at this level.

Cheers BB
Foden has not done enough simply because he is playing out of position, he needs to be central, just behind the striker, I would love to see Watkins or Toney given a chance, hard hat time for me because I would drop Kane.

Either Gareth makes some hard decisions regarding his star players or the system has to change to counter Kane's lack of pace & his ageing years. Put the ball in the penalty area & Kane will score goals, but it's not that easy at this level.
He's shown in Germany that he can still score! He did have the luxury of being a relatively unknown quantity there for a while but nonetheless. The team needs to play to his strengths instead of leaving him to find his own crumbs!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ref players bring left behind.

@Spraggons Den agree. Those players replacing those omitted, and getting playtime, would answer some of GS critics.

The fact he can't see the pictures being painted on the pitch, is bewildering.

Regarding a fit LB, why not look for a player in the championship?
I watch a lot of Championship football, I’m struggling to think of an English left back who would do better than Trippier.

I’m sure Southgate can see what’s going on, if he can’t he’ll have an analyst sat in the stands who can. He can’t have instructed the 11 that started last night to play slowly and constantly be on their heals. Any half decent league manager could set that team up, the players have to take responsibility once they cross the white line.

We can all disagree on individual players and formations but whatever team we put out should do better than that performance last night.

Perhaps motivation is a problem, to the layman it’s hard to believe but we do have history of very good squads under achieving.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back