advertisement

UEFA Euros 2024

Spraggons Den

pfm Member
With the club football season over and Englands first warmup friendly tonight at St.James Park, I thought this might be the opportune moment to start a dedicated threat for the upcoming feast of football.

Last edited:
There's a soupçon of Yoda in the title as well :).

So, is it coming home or are we coming home early?

My guess is we'll go pretty deep but do something like lose to one of the eventual Finalists. Unfortunately, though we have a very good front six (and subs), we look short at the back.

The thread will turn into the usual pro & anti Southgate from fans who are obviously experts;)

I think we will do well but probably won’t win. Would love to see England win a major trophy.

My guess is we'll go pretty deep but do something like lose to one of the eventual Finalists.

Yeah, maybe. Draw and potential England games outlined here:

England ought to top their group after playing Serbia, Denmark, and Slovenia; leaving an easy-ish last-16 game, and perhaps a quarter-final against Italy, France semi-final, and…

Anyway, I watched highlights of England’s Euro 2004 opener against France recently. Beckham missing a pen for 2-0, Zidane with a great free kick and winning pen (after famously puking on the pitch, sry) in time added on. Decent England side back then.

I predict engerland to play boring football, not win the final, and the world's most boring manager will get a knighthood for winning g nothing again.
I will watch the first 10 mins of every game till I lose the will to live.
Bty thanks Spraggon for starting the thread

Yes I'd seen that prediction

My tournament dark horses, Hungary (in Group A with Germany, Switzerland, and Scotland), could well beat Italy in the last-16. They haven’t lost since making Szoboszlai captain early on in qualifying.

(Nemeses. : ) )

I fully understand folk wanting a return to the good old days of Capello, Hodgson and Big Sam when our best chance of scoring came from long throw ins as it was much easier to kick back and relax into the tournament once we had exited at the last sixteen or even better the group stage (losing to Iceland a particular high point).

Plus the poor tabloids have been properly starved of salacious and melodramatic stories during Southgate’s tenure. Squad unity/harmony is overrated too and we faired much better when we had Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal players who refused to sit at breakfast and dinner with each other during the Ericsson era.

I fully understand folk wanting a return to the good old days of Capello, Hodgson and Big Sam when our best chance of scoring came from long throw ins as it was much easier to kick back and relax into the tournament once we had exited at the last sixteen or even better the group stage (losing to Iceland a particular high point).

Plus the poor tabloids have been properly starved of salacious and melodramatic stories during Southgate’s tenure. Squad unity/harmony is overrated too and we faired much better when we had Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal players who refused to sit at breakfast and dinner with each other during the Ericsson era.
Exactly this.

Having watched the plus 1 event, I was surprised, that with Engerlands talent, there was once again, a lack of ideas against a reasonably poor side.
But I'm never really surprised.

Having watched the plus 1 event, I was surprised, that with Engerlands talent, there was once again, a lack of ideas against a reasonably poor side.
But I'm never really surprised.
A friendly fitness kickabout with the second string that was comfortably seen out at 3-0 once a few of the first teamers came on. But enjoy the confirmation bias.

Win nothing wearing cardigans. Since becoming a WAG i have glued glitter on my Geordie jeans and discovered raw haddock and scallops arent battered anymore.

I think he'll be a bit disappointed with the 'trialists'. I guess Palmer moved forwards...

advertisement

Back