advertisement

Tyres.

Not quite sure which folk you’re aiming this at, but my predilection for decent tyres is essentially about getting the best grip for cornering and braking at any speed.
The four contact patches are small relative to the mass of the car and its occupants. I would never sacrifice grip to save a few bucks. The thing is you never know when you need maximum adhesion. You don't need to drive on the Nurburgring to appreciate the confidence imparted by max performance tyres.

John Peel famously talked about driving around Essex to get back home to Suffolk when leaving the studio in London. Being an Essex boy I know a bit about Essex drivers and they can be a bit 'pushy'.

John Peel famously talked about driving around Essex to get back home to Suffolk when leaving the studio in London. Being an Essex boy I know a bit about Essex drivers and they can be a bit 'pushy'.

Snap!

I might return to Wickford one last time this year, just to visit any old haunts that remain, but I’ll have to bite my tongue and sit on my hand, I suspect.

The four contact patches are small relative to the mass of the car and its occupants. I would never sacrifice grip to save a few bucks. The thing is you never know when you need maximum adhesion. You don't need to drive on the Nurburgring to appreciate the confidence imparted by max performance tyres.

This. Accidents DO happen - for what ever reason - it matters not. What does matter is that IF you have a moment, skills failiure, force majeure, small dog, child, meteor - etc - you really want the best rubber underneath you and on ALL 4 corners. Ignore this at ones peril for a few quid (or pennies per day as mentioned) and accept risks (or dismiss them if one is that way inclined.

Examples given are always in extremis. It's up to individual if they feel they can constantly run different tread depths front to rear; if they never want to renew 4 boots at one time; and if they believe as they are not BarryBoys or on track days, ESP on FWD will bail them out from unplanned road departures.

Plenty manufacturer advice out there - why not pay heed? Plenty morons out there too, so even if you are low miles low speed, account for them crossing your path....

This.

Michelin cross climates are a good idea if you drive all year in most weather conditions.

I am particularly impressed by these tyres, especially the +Plus variant. Seems to offer all - good grip in summer, great grip in winter wet in damp, ice and sludgy; adequate to get you home in full on snow - very long tread life, and not breaking the bank.

Just fitted a set to third car - daughters Honda Jazz - £320 a set fitted, to keep her mobile and safe in and around S Wales valleys on Phisio duty. I stopped her buying budget crap she was looking at for £220 all in.

I am particularly impressed by these tyres, especially the +Plus variant. Seems to offer all - good grip in summer, great grip in winter wet in damp, ice and sludgy; adequate to get you home in full on snow - very long tread life, and not breaking the bank.

Just fitted a set to third car - daughters Honda Jazz - £320 a set fitted, to keep her mobile and safe in and around S Wales valleys on Phisio duty. I stopped her buying budget crap she was looking at for £220 all in.

I also really rate Michelin Cross Climates apart from the noise, they were definitely noisier on my car, but that was the only downside. For an extra £100 it seems like a good investment.

Only down side of the Crossclimates seems to be a little more noise a little more "crashy" on rough road surfaces.

So you change your tyres every month? Wow.

?? How do you arrive at your daft conclusions. ?

The only one doing anything remotely in the 'monthly' zone here is you. Wow indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts. The tyres are what are between you and the road surface. A very small contact area. I renew the tyres on the cars, perhaps, more regularly than necessary. It is evident to me when the “grip”factor begins to fall off the scale. It is a tell tale sign, unless of course I fancy a trip to Goodwood... Whilst I have not tried out cheaper brands of tyres, I would rather not experiment to save a few pounds.

In all this thread though, and to an extent I have only skim read it, what doesn’t seem to have been mentioned is simply driving according to the conditions...

It's easy to tell whether a fancy car is owned by someone who appreciates driving or just wants their mates to know they have a nice car: Just look at the tyres. I've lost count of the number of Porsches, BMWs and Mercs fitted with LingLongs, Triangles and other sh!tty black donuts pretending to be sports tyres.

That's true. It's one thing fitting Long Wangs to a shopper and school run family workhorse that seldom gets beyond third gear, another to cheap out on a performance car. The same goes for everything else on the ca r however. Too many people think it's all about the tyres because that's what they can see. Just as important are shocks and bushes, loads of drivers neglect these, including those who think that by fitting premium tyres they cover the bases and that nothing else wears out.

It's one thing fitting Long Wangs to a shopper and school run family workhorse that seldom gets beyond third gear, another to cheap out on a performance car.

Not true at all - I have a workhorse car and have had the dreaded Accelera's fitted to a used car when I bought it,those tyres were taken off within a month,they were not only like driving on threepenny bits (if you remember them) but they also had zero grip.

Have a look at the tyres used car dealers fit - not a pleasant sight.

The same goes for everything else on the ca r however. Too many people think it's all about the tyres because that's what they can see. Just as important are shocks and bushes, loads of drivers neglect these, including those who think that by fitting premium tyres they cover the bases and that nothing else wears out.

Very true.

Last year it was discs, pads, pipes and bushes all round.

Next week two shocks to be replaced whilst the service is being carried out.

It all makes a difference.

It's easy to tell whether a fancy car is owned by someone who appreciates driving or just wants their mates to know they have a nice car: Just look at the tyres. I've lost count of the number of Porsches, BMWs and Mercs fitted with LingLongs, Triangles and other sh!tty black donuts pretending to be sports tyres.

You'd be surprised then at the amount of time between some batches of tyres. Last two times I specced tyres for one of the cars I had no choice and no quoted delivery time for P zero directionale or assimetrico.

Irritates me every time I notice it!

Not true at all - I have a workhorse car and have had the dreaded Accelera's fitted to a used car when I bought it,those tyres were taken off within a month,they were not only like driving on threepenny bits (if you remember them) but they also had zero grip.

Have a look at the tyres used car dealers fit - not a pleasant sight.
What do you mean, not true at all? Very true in my experience and that of the thousands of drivers pootling about town on cheap tyres without the car hurling itself off the road. You had one car running one brand of cheap tyres of unknown history that drove badly and that makes everyone else's experience "not true at all" . Apparently.

It's easy to tell whether a fancy car is owned by someone who appreciates driving or just wants their mates to know they have a nice car: Just look at the tyres
Actually that's always been one of my acid tests in viewing s/hand cars; if the description of 'service history, great care blah blah blah' is matched by simple things such as good quality tyres in pairs in reasonable condition - and I don't just mean 'properly inflated' but evenness & state of wear around the visible (=alignment and general maintenance reflected) - well, its a very quick to-do, but essential part of the subjective appraisal.

(equally in the UK, you'll often see a Meriva or Picasso on the school run with at least three spherical kids inside, and if you can spot -in traffic , from behind - more than one dented panel, you can bet there's at best 2mm of tread left on 25% of at least one tyre, the other three being ..shot. and underinflated; and the driver distracted.

Things I actively steer around ...)

advertisement

Back