advertisement

Twitter and antisemitism

Hey Santa Claus you ****, where's me ****in' bike?
I've unwrapped all this other junk and there's **** all here I like
I wrote you a ****in' letter and I come to see you twice
You worn out geriatric fart, you forgot me ****in' bike

An excerpt of a roy chubby brown song I could sing at 10 and still remember .

Kevin bloody Wilson surely?

That's a reference example of why pfm doesn't allow joke threads. :)

I had the misfortune to work in a theatre where R"C"B did a show in the early 80s.
The audience was mainly elderly women, which still puzzles me.

Kevin Bloody Wilson's stuff is outrageously non-PC, but sometimes it is simply not possible to stifle the guffaw, I'm ashamed to say:)

Chris

Therein lies the problem. Who determines when any given statement crosses over from just being offensive to actually inciting hatred.

I would assume the prosecuting authority in any particular country would make this determination according to local law and precedent.

This is the system used for clarifying and interpreting laws while preventing the mythical slippery slopes that seem to haunt some folks, and it has worked OK so far IMO.

Racist tweets cannot be considered comedy in any viewpoint, if someone finds it funny they have no sense of humour.

No; if someone finds it funny, their sense of humour differs from yours. Humour is such a personal thing; if I tell a joke and half the people listening laugh and the other half don't, which half has a better sense of humour?

No; if someone finds it funny, their sense of humour differs from yours. Humour is such a personal thing; if I tell a joke and half the people listening laugh and the other half don't, which half has a better sense of humour?

i'm surprised someone hasn't joined this thread to tell you that was a rhetorical question joe.... ;)

seriously you didn't want an answer did you?

at least you get 50% laughing.

There are jokes you think funny; those you don't; those you think funny but would not want your friends to know that you find funny; those you feel guilty about finding them funny; those you would condemn others for finding funny.

As for racist jokes that must depend on your ethnic origin and inherent sense of humour. If an English bloke makes a joke about the Irish, is that equal to or worse than an Irish bloke making a joke about the French?

i'm surprised someone hasn't joined this thread to tell you that was a rhetorical question joe.... ;)

seriously you didn't want an answer did you?

at least you get 50% laughing.

The correct answer is that the 50% who didn't laugh were actually clinically dead.

Have no idea who chris rock or toby keith are

Never mind, my point was that sometimes a comedian who belongs to a group that is the subject of a stereotype or prejudice can make jokes hamming them up that someone outside that group cannot (tastefully). With someone subject to the stereotype or prejudice delivering that content it is obviously absurd rather than malicious and the humour is self evidently at the expense of those who hold such views.

There is a lot of Alf Garnett material on YouTube. I think everyone thought that it was silly at the time, that was the point. Now everyone seems to be more sensitive.

There is a lot of Alf Garnett material on YouTube. I think everyone thought that it was silly at the time, that was the point. Now everyone seems to be more sensitive.

I think perhaps we have to walk a mile in the shoes of someone who has grown up on the receiving end of racism, or feeling like they are a second class citizen to be able to judge whether they're being overly sensitive.

I agree if the speech is just offensive, but at some point it crosses the line into inciting violence, and at that point I think there is some justification in banning it.

If we're talking direct incitement to violence I agree wholeheartedly, when it gets more abstract not so much. I suppose my position is best explained by paraphrasing J S Mill, 'Wherever the rights of others to be free from physical harm are not imminently endangered, the law should protect as wide a sphere of free expression as possible.'

I think perhaps we have to walk a mile in the shoes of someone who has grown up on the receiving end of racism, or feeling like they are a second class citizen to be able to judge whether they're being overly sensitive.

What like Trayvon Martin ... or his family?

Anti Semitic.... Jesus Christ!

Im a Believer

What like Trayvon Martin ... or his family?

Anti Semitic.... Jesus Christ!

I haven't heard any yet, but you can bet your life there are a slew of Trayvon Martin jokes doing the rounds. And some of them will be genuinely funny.

Chris

advertisement

Back