advertisement

Tweaks for Rega decks?

...it wouldn’t surprise me if their current three-screw arm fitting was designed to allow far lower torque settings, i.e. the armbase can’t rotate when using the cueing arm at all now.
I'm not a physicist but I wonder whether one reason for Rega's move to a three-point fixing is to get the centroid, the geometric centre, of the arm pillar in line with the stylus tip.

If you picture a tepee with three poles, when you move the poles outwards, the tepee's height is reduced. Similarly, by 'splaying' the fixing points as Rega have done, you move the centroid, the notional centre of the arm-fixing forces, downwards, perhaps into line with the stylus tip, so stabilising the arm in its response to forces generated by the stylus. But, as I said, I'm not a physicist.

Last edited:
Back in the day, we were all putting squash balls under our P3s (empty tape box halves also worked quite well) - but obviously completely antithetical to the ethos that the firm subsequently adopted as the 9 and then the RPs were introduced. I have tried loads of different matts on a P6 and then on a P8, and even made a very long and quite boring thread about it here.

With the 10 I am quite happy with the (thinner, I think) supplied white felt. The main thing I'm thinking about is different non-Rega carts, the VTA issue, whether I can be bothered with any of that, etc.
It was ice hockey pucks for me and they worked

I doubt is the QSN40 model, all the torque screwdrivers in the series look just the same. With a setting of .4Nm you can grab the screwdriver shaft and tip with your bare hands and make it click. That's fine for the headshell screws, but for the tonearm base would be too loose. Besides, I've done way more than that on a P6 with no issues.
Torque driver is obviously set to maximum and one can see that 40cN.m is the setting (at least on my monitor). Keep in mind that this is per fastener at the extremities of a tripod, with each fastener screwed into through plinth threaded metal sleeves as anchors*, not a single large nut and washer clamping a bit of pipe either side of a large hole in board (for the old RB250/RB300/etc. torque was set to between 15N.m and 25N.m depending on plinth).

Screenshot-2024-01-19-111846.png

* These are 3 of 6 x fasteners that connect the top and bottom braces together at the tonearm end via 3 x internally threaded metal posts, with the main bearing well clamping the braces together at the other end.

Last edited:
When I first wall-mounted my RP10 with my home-made shelf I used the outer plinth as well. I compared with the deck ‘bare’ and went with the latter. Then I compared it with soft feet and the accessory hard feet and preferred the latter. Then I compared it with and without it sitting on the marble kitchen board I have had for 20 years, one of those £15 things at the time. I preferred the latter.

It’s possible that all of this is unnecessary with the Rega wall-shelf of course, I already had a sheet of decent Finnish Birch Ply and I wanted the larger footprint for brush, stylus brush and fluid etc.

Apart from that when it was time to change from the Apheta 2 I listened to a few carts and I preferred the Hana ML, I expect we all differ but cartridges are seasoning as we know and worth comparing. I also changed from the Aria to the PH10 then added the PS10 later.

OP, good luck with getting your sound where you need it to be.

Ditch the glass platter and perhaps something like the Achroplat must be worthwhile.
I recall Funk Firm having given up making these. They seemed to have a problem getting the centre hole the correct size for standard 18mm Rega hub centres (they did loads with 19mm centre holes!). Regardless, I don't recall Funk ever making ones that were intended to fit RP6/P6 or higher, which require a thinner area of platter that sits upon the drive hub. Even if they had done so, there is no way that Funk's plastic would provide anything like the flywheel effect of Rega's RP6/P6 layered glass, let alone that of RP8/P8.

Phil from cheshire audio always says on his videos that almost every after-market bearing that he's seen shows excessive wear even only after a small amount of time.

Phil seems a lovely bloke, and certainly knows his way round Rega decks.

He does appear to be in need a foo fuse intervention though.

If he sells them because his customers seem to want them then who cares?
Having worked in hi-fi retail, I do detect a difference between carrying something that one doesn't necessarily believe in one's self vs. actively shilling for such.

Perhaps Phil should consider just keeping them quietly hidden behind the counter along with a supply of tiny plain brown paper bags.

Then again, at circa 600 quid a pop (pun intentional), I imagine it must be difficult not to shout about something that could cover a good portion of the months rent with one sale.

Last edited:
Have a Herzan TS-140 Active Platform under my 10. Costs more than a Naia circa $15,000
Local Univ sold one off for almost scrap value few years ago , made a huge difference in sound quality

TS-140-with-Turntable-Mike-Levigne-2.jpg

No Planar 10 , A Vibration Measuring Machine works much better with no external vibration
Herzan used to isolate scanning electron microscopes from vibration

No Planar 10 , A Vibration Measuring Machine works much better with no external vibration
Herzan used to isolate scanning electron microscopes from vibration
The difference between a microscope and a turntable is the turntable creates vibrations of it’s own. How that interacts with the active vibration control device would be worth considering.

Have a Herzan TS-140 Active Platform under my 10. Costs more than a Naia circa $15,000
Local Univ sold one off for almost scrap value few years ago , made a huge difference in sound quality
Could anyone in plain language explain what this guy is talking about ?

Then again, at circa 600 quid a pop (pun intentional), I imagine it must be difficult not to shout about something that could cover a good portion of the months rent with one sale.
In a recent video he said that he initially bought the shop outright so his running costs are lower than if he was leasing or renting. Gives a certain freedom to pick and choose what he stocks, e.g. he says he does not believe in or stock streamers.

Are you sure? I can't imagine you having a P10
Have several dozen TTs , 28 at the last count DD , Belt , Idler

Was not aware as a Rega owner comments where not allowed about Rega

I use a Les Davis Audio mat instead of the felt one on my P6.

At the store I heard it demonstrated on a P10 (versus the standard felt).

On both decks it was a good improvement.

advertisement

Back