advertisement

turntables with 12" arms that don't cost a fortune?

jamesd

pfm Member
basically, Garrard 301 alternatives.

what exists out there that is less costly than a refurbished 301?

This is a good question, with no simple answer, especially if you don't want a fifty-year- old deck. Michell used to offer a special 'mount' for 12 inch arms, perhaps they still do. If so, a Gyrodeck would be nice.
But, basically, I'm stumped.

A Thorens 125 or 126 if you re-build or modify the plinth. Or a Lenco 75. In fact almost anything if you modify it.

A Thorens 125 or 126 if you re-build or modify the plinth. Or a Lenco 75. In fact almost anything if you modify it.

Yep, I'd agree with that. It's finding a 12" arm that don't cost a fortune that's the biggest challenge. I'd be interested to see some answers.

Yep, I'd agree with that. It's finding a 12" arm that don't cost a fortune that's the biggest challenge. I'd be interested to see some answers.

The Wand. But choosing the deck isn't so simple. A lot of people don't want the potential hassle of very old decks. And fifty years is a long long time....there just don't seem to be modern decks for 12 inch arms at a sensible price. As for arms, The wand springs to mind. Or if you do like older stuff, the classic 3012 11, in good nick, is comfortably under a £1000. And you will never lose a single penny when you resell. So that's as cheap as it ever gets...a long-term cost of nothing (probably a profit if you look after it well.) And a decent arm should be without the sheer hassle that older decks often entail. Less to go wrong. The 3012 sounds rather fine too....I've had one for years. Would never sell it.

The Wand. But choosing the deck isn't so simple. A lot of people don't want the potential hassle of very old decks. And fifty years is a long long time....there just don't seem to be modern decks for 12 inch arms at a sensible price. As for arms, The wand springs to mind. Or if you do like older stuff, the classic 3012 11, in good nick, is comfortably under a £1000. And you will never lose a single penny when you resell. So that's as cheap as it ever gets...a long-term cost of nothing (probably a profit if you look after it well.) And a decent arm should be without the sheer hassle that older decks often entail. Less to go wrong. The 3012 sounds rather fine too....I've had one for years. Would never sell it.

I was agreeing with the idea of of modifying decks. There are plenty out there that could be re-plinthed quite easily.

I have enough rega bits to build a working deck, I'd just have to make a plinth. My mother is a funeral director so I could get a nice polished granite one knocked up easily. :)

Never heard a deck with a 12" arm but it's something I might play with in the future :)

I've heard a number of 12" arms and I can't say I have been tempted to pursue this option (despite having a deck that will take 12" arm(s) in a state of part manufacture.

If you want to do a modern deck at a reasonable price point then have a look at the Project Audio Xtension 12 Evolution.

The latest version of Pro-Ject’s in house 12 inch Carbon fibre arm is not bad now that its got the integrated head shell and the beefed up bearing assy.

xtension.jpg

Or you could go all out and get the Ortofon 12 inch Arm.

xtension_2.jpg

Personally I don’t think the few extra percent reduction in distortion its worth the hassle and the complications the extra arm length brings. You now have a heavier arm so cartridge compliance / cartridge matching becomes a big issue and the extra length also introduces bending modes and resonances that are allot easier to control with a shorter arm. But thats just my experience anyway.

LPSpinner.

If you want to do a modern deck at a reasonable price point then have a look at the Project Audio Xtension 12 Evolution.

The latest version of Pro-Ject’s in house 12 inch Carbon fibre arm is not bad now that its got the integrated head shell and the beefed up bearing assy.

xtension.jpg

xtension_2.jpg

Personally I don’t think the few extra percent reduction in distortion its worth the hassle and the complications the extra arm length brings. You now have a heavier arm so cartridge compliance / cartridge matching becomes a big issue and the extra length also introduces bending modes and resonances that are allot easier to control with a shorter arm. But thats just my experience anyway.

LPSpinner.

I suppose that and the size of the deck is why most arms are 9".

I ran a Technics SP10 in a slate plinth with a 12" Ortofon - the results were pleasing and the cost was sensible.

i'm probably barking up the wrong tree asking about the 12" arm, though the answers have been interesting and I'm still interested in hearing more options.

I suppose the question should have been: I can't afford a Shindo 301. What's closer to the price of a RP10?

xtension.jpg

xtension_2.jpg

LPSpinner
Yes, these are the negative theories often sceptically trotted out, and there's some truth in these. However, the compliance issue is generally beneficial, as most l.o. moving coils prefer a more massy arm. Bending modes don't exist in a well designed 12" arm, or at worst have negligible influence.

Positives are: They look superb and business-like. They have a more sure-footed presentation with no end-of-side tracking problems. They're easier to cue because the balance is better. They must, also, have a beneficial effect on the stylus profile from a practical as well as a sonic p.o.v.

This aficionado is not for turning now I've got two. Simply wouldn't revert !

Bending modes exist in all arms - whether they have a 12" arm tube or not and end of side tracking distortion is not literally negated by the use of a 12" arm tube.

advertisement

Back