advertisement

Turntable upgrade. Rega P3 to P6 or to Origin Live Aurora/Silver tonearm?

Of course, it could all be in my head but I just had one of those nice experiences associated with new stuff.

I've been playing a few jazz records on the new deck and so far all have been fine.

I another thread I mentioned that I was playing some old Queen albums.

I thought I'd put on my rather worn copy of A Night At The Opera as I'd played it a few days ago and through it was nice to hear again, the sound was a bit underwhelming.

Just now on the P6 it sounds really great, no longer a bit muffled etc.

Yes! I'd hate to set you up with ridiculously high expectations so will leave it there... but I think you're in for a pleasant surprise. You're moving to a better turntable and to a better phono stage and to a better cart and from MM to MC. You won't know which bit makes which difference but be prepared to smile a lot.

Report back!

You were right

I modded a Planar 25 with Technoweight, Incognito rewire and a Heed PS and certainly lifted it above my CDS3/XPS2 that it wasn't funny. I doubt it was like a modern P10 but very good for sure. P3s are made to a price but the design philosophy does support significant uplift. It's possibly better just to buy the higher Rega model though...
Always liked the look of the P25. Is it still worth a listen?

advertisement

Back