advertisement

Turntable speed analysis part II

I concur.

I think eddy current will be pretty constant for a fixed rotational speed, but I would expect it to alter in a less linear manner if speed varies.

The only concern I might have with viscous drag is the effect of temperature - probably not a big deal if the liquid is chosen carefully but it would be interesting to see if there is a warm up effect.

Jason

A perusal of the relevant material properties suggests this is not an issue. However, alteration of the bearing tolerances due to (ambient) temperature is more likely to be an issue (depending on the materials used, tolerances chosen etc.).

Interesting.
I assumed the temperature would increase a by 20 or so degrees, I suppose that a thin layer surrounded by metal means that is an over estimate.

Jason

Reducing cogging torque appears to be quite an active research topic - a google search for any of:
  • Skewing stator stack or magnets
  • Using fractional slots per pole
  • Modulating drive current waveform
  • Optimizing the magnet pole arc or width

brings back a number of papers.

As available computing power has increased it has become easier to test ideas with finite element analysis, certainly things have improved a lot since the 70/80s when most turntables were designed. Replacing the standard Airpax/Premotec motor with something that exploits some of the recent technical advances therefore would look like a good solution rather than trying to work round the problem.

Jason, if I was you I'd expect a temp change with use of exactly SFA with a Linn bearing, maybe a fraction of a degree. The liquid used is stable over a hundred degree working range, so temp is no issue.

@JC Yeh, but sadly nothing has been made for under a couple of thousand for motor and controller that beats the humble Premotec with a bit of load applied. So all the development is for naught if it cannot be utilised due to cost and scarcity.

The 4 points you mention above have been known about for decades, the Lenco motors were all shaded pole with skewed stators.

I would like to tray a maxon ec motor. These are effectivly 3 phase ac synch motors. I think sme use them.

There is also the Thingap motors.

MY SME 10 used an external rotor, 3 phase Pabst motor with a digital control, capable of trimming each phase. My current Premotec set-up measures better.

I've experimented with the Maxon motor and the very latest in load compensated DC motors, they all replace one issue with another (or more).
_____

It's true that motor technology has developed, but it has been largely developed with an eye to producing motors with different requirements than those of a TT.
_____

The Thingap motors look intersting though.

@JC Yeh, but sadly nothing has been made for under a couple of thousand for motor and controller that beats the humble Premotec with a bit of load applied. So all the development is for naught if it cannot be utilised due to cost and scarcity.

Of course you can spend a couple of grand on the Linn Radikal solution, but I cannot see any reason why an AC synchronous motor driven by a simple power supply should not be as good - if the motor design is correctly optimised. Obviously, no one is designing motors specifically for turntables any more but there is clearly still a lot of interest in minimising cogging for other applications, so there may be a better affordable solution out there. Specifically, I would be interested to see the torque cogging/ripple curve for the Premotec motor. If torque varies by >20% over a 360 degree rotation, it should be possible to find (a lot) better. If you can measure that torque ripple decreases as a function of load, even better. I don't think this data has been published anywhere.

The 4 points you mention above have been known about for decades, the Lenco motors were all shaded pole with skewed stators.

Well, electromagnetic theory was essentially complete in about 1880, but that does not mean we knew everything about applying it. ;-)

Experience says the torque doesn't vary like anything like that on the Premotec, you can read the torque curve direct from one of the samples. See those twelve bumps every rev, there's your torque variation, repeated at each pole crossing. I figure it's in the low single digits %.

Now look again at mine with the added drag, see how there's next to no apparent variance any more- there's your published data. The speed data is the torque data, give or take belt compliance.

Just swamp the inherent torque variance with added load and the job is done.

= sub-critical damping.

Just pick your target Q and there will be several ways to approach it.
I think eddy current will be pretty constant for a fixed rotational speed, but I would expect it to alter in a less linear manner if speed varies.
No; fortunately it's dead linear, else generators would not work as they do. Fleming's right-hand rule etc.

Experience says the torque doesn't vary like anything like that on the Premotec, you can read the torque curve direct from one of the samples. See those twelve bumps every rev, there's your torque variation, repeated at each pole crossing. I figure it's in the low single digits %.

Now look again at mine with the added drag, see how there's next to no apparent variance any more- there's your published data. The speed data is the torque data, give or take belt compliance.

Just swamp the inherent torque variance with added load and the job is done.

SQ, what oil would you recommend? I would like to see if this makes a difference to the PL-71..

fortunately it's dead linear, else generators would not work as they do. Fleming's right-hand rule etc.

OK, I will do some reading.

I wonder how strong the magnetic field will have to be to achieve the level of drag I envisage as appropriate.

Edd's Yamaha,

The demodulated spectrum between 0 and 20Hz, there were also noticeable spikes at 60 and 120Hz.

Edd_demod_0_20.png

and the polar,

Edd_polar.png

Paul

John C's LP12,

The centre frequency seems to be 3166Hz, so the turntable is running a little fast. An ideal candidate for a little added drag...

The spectrum between 1 and 20Hz (the eccentricity was dominating at 0.55),

JohnCLP12_0_20.png

And, for future reference, the spectrum between 45 and 55Hz, this might relate to the intrinsic cogging, there's a smaller spike at 100Hz.

JohnCLP12_45_55.png

The polar,

JohnCLP12_polar.png

If John could make another recording using the Lingo's 45rpm function then we can do an interesting comparison to see if the 50Hz spike really is drive frequency cogging.

Paul

To be fair, the Lingo seems to be doing a pretty good job.

But the Yamaha........

I'm not sure the Lingo will take well to having a resistive mechanical load applied to it.

That's a decent reading for a standard (motor wise) LP12

A word of warning re increasing drag, the Hercules didn't like it at all, it made speed stability worse, I guess it's not up to the task from a current delivery POV. Certainly with a Geddon clone it's none issue. I'd investigate cautiously with the Lingo.

advertisement

Back