advertisement

Trump Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear that Bercow, Cable and Corbyn have refused to attend a state dinner with Trump. Furthermore, Bercow hasn't invited Trump to address Parliament. Regardless of what one thinks of Trump, I expect a public servant in his capacity as Speaker of the House to be able to recognise the office of the President of the US and act accordingly, regardless of the characters involved. I can only apologise to our American cousins for the disrespect being shown to their democratically elected leader. The speaker is specifically required to be impartial, the sooner he goes the better.

Corbyn and Cable as opposition politicians can do what they like.
You have cousins in America? On the subject of respect, the thing currently occupying the White House is incapable of recognising the concept. He couldn’t stop disparaging John McCain, even in death. A state visit to Britain is just another one of May’s terrible miscalculations that’ll come back to haunt her.

Last edited:
And all queue up like good little Oliver Twists but don’t forget to bring your NHS and food standards bowls.
Assume the position, we gotta keep that relationship special.

I hear that Bercow, Cable and Corbyn have refused to attend a state dinner with Trump. Furthermore, Bercow hasn't invited Trump to address Parliament. Regardless of what one thinks of Trump, I expect a public servant in his capacity as Speaker of the House to be able to recognise the office of the President of the US and act accordingly, regardless of the characters involved. I can only apologise to our American cousins for the disrespect being shown to their democratically elected leader. The speaker is specifically required to be impartial, the sooner he goes the better.

Corbyn and Cable as opposition politicians can do what they like.
I think you can equally well argue that it is respect for the OFFICE of President that requires politicians not to offer respect to an INDIVIDUAL who is subverting and demeaning that office.

You have cousins in America? On the subject of respect, the thing currently occupying the White House is incapable of recognising the concept. He couldn’t even stop disparaging John McCain, even in death. A state visit to Britain is just another one of May’s terrible miscalculations that’ll come back to haunt her.

Yes, cousins and quite a few friends and acquaintances. Of course I understand he is hated by many here and in the US, just as many politicians are here and abroad.

Just reading these threads, I doubt some here could even stomach a dinner with a tory MP, or any other flavour. The level of intolerance is staggering. Trump is democratically elected. I'd have more respect if someone held the view that we should not be inviting representatives of a State that fell below standards of human rights, like still supporting the death penalty etc which would of course include the US, and this would be beyond the scope of personality.

As it stands, this is a snub to US citizens, and something I don't support. He wouldn't have been my choice as a President but he is theirs and I respect that choice.

Well, this cousin doesn’t blame Bercow at all. Trump has made the office of POTUS unrecognizable!

I get that, I do. Just as if Corbyn was elected PM here, I'd be secretly delighted if you made him get a cab to his hotel. And then cancelled his meeting. Or held him in immigration for 72 hours. But in reality, we ought to be able to make the distinction between personality and office, and he should be treated with respect as our representative.

Trump is democratically elected. I'd have more respect if someone held the view that we should not be inviting representatives of a State that fell below standards of human rights, like still supporting the death penalty etc which would of course include the US, and this would be beyond the scope of personality.

I have huge respect for the USA, it is responsible for much if not most of the greatest music, art, science and innovation of the past 100 years. They have however elected a truly vile misogynistic white supremacist who’s tenure is riddled with corruption to the office of President and that can not possibly be ignored.

We should have the basic dignity and intellect not to deal with such people, and that obviously includes Saudi, Brunei, Iran and other murderous dictatorships, though the UK is such a shithole in death-spiral decline these days nothing surprises me. I found out earlier that the bookies have our electing a popularist fascist in the Trump mould, Nigel Farage, by 2025 at just 3/1. In any even remotely sane country that should be at least 3,000,000/1

Will he come up north this time?

go_home_jobby.jpg

Yes, cousins and quite a few friends and acquaintances. Of course I understand he is hated by many here and in the US, just as many politicians are here and abroad.

Just reading these threads, I doubt some here could even stomach a dinner with a tory MP, or any other flavour. The level of intolerance is staggering. Trump is democratically elected. I'd have more respect if someone held the view that we should not be inviting representatives of a State that fell below standards of human rights, like still supporting the death penalty etc which would of course include the US, and this would be beyond the scope of personality.

As it stands, this is a snub to US citizens, and something I don't support. He wouldn't have been my choice as a President but he is theirs and I respect that choice.
Trump defines and represents the ‘staggering intolerance’ you used in your post and being utterly intolerant of him is perfectly defensible. Claiming that snubbing trump, snubs American citizens just rings hollow to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back