advertisement

Troubles with a well regarded UK dealer

naca5

pfm Member
Guys,

Can I ask you a favor?
I'm in a middle of a fight with a dealer about the add you can see above.
What do you understand when you read the add?
From my point of view, bass panels are refurbished and electronics services.
I'm wrong?

Thanks for your help

Tony, I hope I can do this and I'm in the right place to do this.

From what I can see (by pressing "Quote" and copy/pasting the image address into my browser's navigation bar), it says "Refurbished bass panel fitted" but unless there was more info in the ad then I wouldn't expect any more than one such possibly second-hand panel to have been fitted, and unless it says more in the ad then I wouldn't expect the electronics to have been touched either. Is that a reasonable price? I would have ignored that listing. Caveat emptor.

Hmm! As it's a dealer, I'd suggest that 'seller refurbished' would apply to the entire speaker, despite the fact that he mentions (only?) the bass panels.

Besides, the 'back to base' guarantee must apply to the whole speaker, not just part. Unable to see anything but the pic. and price etc. details, so maybe there's more info. which changes the perception.

<moderating>

pfm can't be dragged into customer service issues as it's way beyond the scope of the site (it's actually a minefield if one isn't directly involved and often means I end up having to act as some kind of arbitrator in matters I have zero knowledge of, stake in, or even the ability to determine what actually happened as accounts often tend not to align), so please keep it all very non-specific and general. No names, no pack drill, just what would one do in a situation of X with Y product etc.

PS I've removed the link, not that it worked!

PPS reading the above I take it we are discussing a pair of Quads with one or more dodgy panels?

Hi Tony,

Sorry for that and thanks to let me discuss this on the forum.
The name of the dealer was erased of course.

So to make the story short (and without pics of the ad)
A pair of 63 is made with 4 bass panels as everybody here knows.
Three bass panels were originals black non refurbished Quad panel with a lot of issues on each panels.
The last one must be white Quad panel.
So first of all, two different bass panels on a speaker is not acceptable for me.

Then the panels were sent to a well regarded Quad refurbisher (the one who bought all the original tools from the Quad plant).

Bad voltage from each EHT....
Mylar was also destroyed by a bad shipping (horizontally instead of vertically).

Tony I hope you will accept a pic of the damages:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KjX4jPdbAFJoSeTCJr7y9S10MNyFe54U2T-NIBf1bN0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yj2LiML-yV2Vsg7HWN2JnS10MNyFe54U2T-NIBf1bN0?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EUs0srRlKucp1I7GB1FFfC10MNyFe54U2T-NIBf1bN0?feat=directlink
So what's the point?
I've paid with paypal and paypal refund me; OK
I've lost two expensive shipping (200£)
But, yes, there is a but. I trade some cables in the deal (for a value of 400£) and the dealer apparently don't accept to send the cables back!

So does anyone knows how I can get my cables back?
And Guys, be aware if you trade some stuff in the future, pay the item you buy and ask a refund for the trade-in amount!

I really don't like such commercial transaction, this is the first bad experience for me.

Thanks again for your thoughts, help and a special thanks to Tony for his open-minded reaction.

"Refurbished bass panel fitted"

If this is what it did say (I can't see the images), then it is in singularis and is not talking about anything except a (one) bass panel. So strictly speaking the seller has not done anything wrong - but again, I can't see the images and I'm only basing this on the quoted text from this thread.

Small claims court. It costs comparatively little to try (about £50 I think). It's a question of whether you think it's good money after bad - £400 is worth it, imo.

Would the distance selling regs not work in your favour? Think it's only 2 weeks though.

It works but I've lost the trade-in....

Thanks for your point of view.
Next times I will ask how many panels were refurbished and matched like a vale amp!

i doubt that you will get your cables back

You got your money back via paypal but this is not the case regarding your cables and small claim is limited so may cost you more than cables worth

Have a polite word with him if that doesn't work go back with 3 friends and stick a B&W nautilus up his arse, sideways.

It's the only way to keep these dealers honest.

If the mylar was damaged in transit did he ship with insurance? Ask if he'd be willing to pay the refurb costs?

So they’ve effectively stolen your cables? Am I missing something because that sounds ridiculous to me and I’m shocked they’d risk their reputation. Are they denying they have them, claiming they should cover carriage of them or something else? How are they trying to justify this?

Personally I’m just of the personally that couldn’t let something like that go, you can’t let them get away with that.

i doubt that you will get your cables back

You got your money back via paypal but this is not the case regarding your cables and small claim is limited so may cost you more than cables worth

I'm aware of that, I really can't live with, but this is paypal rules!!

Have a polite word with him if that doesn't work go back with 3 friends and stick a B&W nautilus up his arse, sideways.

It's the only way to keep these dealers honest.

If the mylar was damaged in transit did he ship with insurance? Ask if he'd be willing to pay the refurb costs?

DO you have two good friends :) I live abroad :-(

The shipping was insured, but when you get the panels the delivery guy don't wait until you've plugged them and hear bzzziiiityzbbztyy coming from the panel.

So they’ve effectively stolen your cables? Am I missing something because that sounds ridiculous to me and I’m shocked they’d risk their reputation. Are they denying they have them, claiming they should cover carriage of them or something else? How are they trying to justify this?

Personally I’m just of the personally that couldn’t let something like that go, you can’t let them get away with that.

They just don't answer to my messages......
The last one wa:
"I will start a thread on a forum to ask the community if I'm right"

I must perhaps send the link to them?

But some pfmer think that I'm wrong and I wouldn't expect that all bass panels were refurbished.

As told previously I can't imagine a speaker with two different panels!!
As told again, it's like a push-pull amp with let's say, a nice KT66 Mullard with à shitty chines one in front of....

Thanks for your thoughts

Offer to name and shame the dealer by private message or email to anyone who asks and send the dealer a link to this thread.

Sometimes there really are two sides to a story. All of this seems, from what we have been told, to centre around the meaning of a 'panel.' It's far from clear that the dealer has done anything wrong, and all this relentless dealer bashing can become quite unpleasant.
I don't think this should ever have been put before a forum, because, frankly, we are no position to judge . Most dealers are fair, it's in their interests to be so. If you are convinced you are in the right, take the earlier advice and go to the small claims court....just be sure you do have a good case......

Sometimes there really are two sides to a story. All of this seems, from what we have been told, to centre around the meaning of a 'panel.' It's far from clear that the dealer has done anything wrong, and all this relentless dealer bashing can become quite unpleasant.
I don't think this should ever have been put before a forum, because, frankly, we are no position to judge . Most dealers are fair, it's in their interests to be so. If you are convinced you are in the right, take the earlier advice and go to the small claims court....just be sure you do have a good case......

Yes, I think this is good advice considering the lack of balanced info. Just the threat of so doing may bring rewards......!

advertisement

Back