advertisement

Tour de France 2024

Why aren't there more world class black cyclists, you know, it being an endurance event?
High cost of entry to even begin to train is definitely part of it. Bike, shoes, helmet, race fees don’t come cheap. Not a mainstream sport with loads of sponsors using high school and universities as feeder training camps (mostly applies to US).

Last edited:
Should hopefully find out how closely-matched our top two are today, and also the chance of a stage win for Tom Pidcock if he’s anywhere close to the front for the long descent finish from the top of the Galibier.

Last time the Tour was there…

…on the way to his win on Alpe d’Huez.

Hi cost of entry to even begin to train is definitely part of it. Bike, shoes, helmet, race fees don’t come cheap. Not a mainstream sport with loads of sponsors using high school and universities as feeder training camps (mostly applies to US).
You also need actual roads, a lot of impoverished areas don’t have usualble surfaces. Running is comparatively very cheap & accessible.

Should hopefully find out how closely-matched our top two are today, and also the chance of a stage win for Tom Pidcock if he’s anywhere close to the front for the long descent finish from the top of the Galibier.

Last time the Tour was there…

…on the way to his win on Alpe d’Huez.
Days like today I wish I was unemployed.

I love Galibier and Sestriere.
Sestriere has a darker side in winter. It's on the refugee trail. This brilliant Unreported World 30 min doc reveals the extent to which poorly equipped people navigate treacherous terrain losing life and limb.

Last edited:
Just settling down to watch on France 3. It passes through my adopted part of the world today. I lived in Briançon for a year in '89 - '90, and have been going back there ever since.

I don't know much about the cycling, but I love the pictures ! :) The other étape I'll definitely be watching is on 16th. It goes through Sommières, Calvisson and Vergèze on its way to Nîmes, all places I know from the last set of school exchanges. The school was in Calvisson, and over the years, I stayed with teachers in Sommières and Vergèze. Nîmes is a great place.

So Cav got over the Galibier in one piece much to many people's surprise and well inside the cut off.
I think it's a tough ask, given his form this year, for him to win a stage, especially given how competitive the sprint was on Monday. Maybe if he gets a fantastic lead out from his team as I can't see him doing it the 'hard way'.

I think it's a tough ask, given his form this year, for him to win a stage, especially given how competitive the sprint was on Monday. Maybe if he gets a fantastic lead out from his team as I can't see him doing it the 'hard way'.
Yep. Seven possible sprint stages remaining including today, and any Cavendish win will maybe have to come with some help and a reduced bunch. Biniam Girmay’s far from a typical sprinter though, so not impossible.

There’s a stage next week to Saint-Amand-Montrond… you’ll know the wild one finishing there in Cavendish’s first season at Quickstep, when he won ahead of Sagan from a tiny group after a day in the crosswinds saw him effectively getting a 120k leadout. Worth looking up for him looking completely wrecked in the interviews afterwards. : )

I also think the style of riding in tour over the past 5 years has meant a reduction in bunch sprints and opportunities for pure sprinters.

True. Seems way more chaotic, the GC teams get involved, and sprint teams don’t have as many big lads who are only there to chase down breaks and ride on the front…

IMG-2203.webp

advertisement

Back