advertisement

Tory leadership failure Part V: Rishi ‘Infosys’ Sunak

It's money and the (rather dubious) belief that the Conservatives are the frugal low tax party whereas Labour will bankrupt us all in a fortnight.

When you're young and don't have any money you vote Labour so they can redistribute someone else's cash. When you're old and sitting on a pile you vote Conservative in the hope that they'll let you hang on to as much as possible.

Sad and wrongheaded but there we are.

Yes, that’s about the sum of it. Most people have worked hard for what they have in life and don’t want to risk some green eyed politician coming along and swiping it. Yes, it’s parochial but that’s the reality.

Yes, that’s about the sum of it. Most people have worked hard for what they have in life and don’t want to risk some green eyed politician coming along and swiping it. Yes, it’s parochial but that’s the reality.
Ironically, though, it was the Conservatives who brought in the legislation that has seen so many of them having to sell their houses to fund care home places.

Ironically, though, it was the Conservatives who brought in the legislation that has seen so many of them having to sell their houses to fund care home places.
And the 'tax-cutting' Tories almost halved the pension lifetime allowance and froze income tax thresholds so fiscal drag means everyone pays more tax.

But everyone still thinks they're the low tax party. It's a good trick.

That's the nub of it in many ways - and cemented by the ineffectiveness of Westminster (and government in general).

It's money and the (rather dubious) belief that the Conservatives are the frugal low tax party whereas Labour will bankrupt us all in a fortnight.

That is the thing that astonishes me as someone who has traded all my life and is a business owner. I guess most Tories are just employees, and the rich ones live on largely inherited wealth or public school privilege and have not even the slightest clue about the real world. Anyone who has actually run a business will grasp investment for future growth is absolutely essential, and if need be borrowing cheaply against future prosperity is entirely logical as without that borrowing that prosperity would not occur.

A example, though it is hard to remove from the obvious corruption and asset-siphoning of the Tory Party, is HS2. As a transport infrastructure project it would have paid for itself multiple times over given time as the UK road and rail system is barely above 3rd world levels these days. Cancelling it after so many £bns were spent was utter insanity, though I do grasp the underlying motive here was theft of public money and access to undervalue land for party donors. Even so the underlying point is that absolutely anything good this country has ever done has involved considerable investment. There is no way to do it without.

Carol Vorderman/Byline Times making very good points regarding ever-increasing Tory gerrymandering.

PS I couldn’t decide whether to post this here or on the rise of the far-right thread. Really it needs to be on both. Vote rigging/gerrymandering is a well-trodden route to fascism. The Tories know they can’t win fairly so they’ll buy, bend and distort the rules every which way they can. Trump/Bannon is the model. The goal is to non-Tory votes from the table and they are going to play exceptionally dirty as these days they czn only be viewed as a criminal entity with zero interest in politics beyond obtaining power and oligarch access to the state.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, they've also removed the single transferable vote for London mayoral elections, which was originally voted for by referendum. So we voted to change the voting process and the goverment changed it back without another referendum. You could easily be mistaken for thinking they'd respect referendum results after all the rhetoric of the last eight years, but no. The gerrymandering still won't hand them the mayoralty though, given their selection of another woeful candidate.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, they've also removed the single transferable vote for London mayoral elections, which was originally voted for by referendum.

Yes, that was mentioned. The Tory London mayoral candidate, Susan Hall, is a truly vile racist bigot. Thick too, even for a Tory at this late stage in the barrel-scraping, so hopefully she’ll get nowhere (I’m rooting for well behind Count Binface). If by any chance she can gerrymander her way in London is in for a truly horrific time that will cost the UK £millions. She’s a UKIP/EDL/NF-grade idiot.

Listened to the BBC R4 WAO hostess make repeated attempts at inducing Andy McDonald, Labour MP for Middlesborough into carrying out self-denunciation on air for calling the Tory Freeport baron, “Lord” Houchin a scammer. A distraction from the fact that Houchin and his cronies had been widely criticised in a parliamentary investigation.

I don’t know how to upload photos to this site, and can’t be arsed trying to work it out. But the cover of the new Private Eye is piss your pants funny, best one for a while.

I don’t know how to upload photos to this site, and can’t be arsed trying to work it out. But the cover of the new Private Eye is piss your pants funny, best one for a while.
This one?

1615_big.jpg

Reactions: MJS

advertisement

Back