advertisement

Top Five Overrated bands/musicians

That was a rather feeble improvement but I will answer your question in order to encourage you to pen your questions in a more socially acceptable manner.

I do not know what I am doing next.

I am visiting (hopefully next Thursday) ATC's factory to look at their speakers.

The ATC's have their own power amp built into the speaker, so until I have heard these speakers, I cannot comment on my next move.

The Briks are very good and I have really two choices

1. Retain the Briks and the NAP300 and go for a 552, this was my original strategy.

2. Buy the ATC's and sell the Briks and NAP300.

I am now retired and spending more time listening to the Hifi and am buying a lot more music than ever before and I want to choose a good system that will keep me going for the next 10 years.

There is a fair chance that we will buy a house in Spain to spend the winter months in. This will create the need for another system and that will start off another purchase, so it is all balls in the air at the moment.

Regards

Mick

Regards

I for one am interested in how you get on with the ATC's, regardless of any genital references.

Keep us posted.

alex

Originally posted by Mick Parry
The ATC's have their own power amp built into the speaker
Mick,

That certainly will reduce the chances of wiring them up out of phase :)
Sorry, couldn' t resist. Seriously, I'd like to hear your thoughts on these -
especially the stand-mounters.

cheers,

Dan

Let me ask you fatcat, do you think people who like obscure music are cool? Do you think anybody else think people who listen to obscure music are cool, including the people who listen to obscure music?
No. I don’t think people who like obscure music are cool and I don’t think they are uncool. I do not think of ANYBODY in terms of them being cool or uncool. I do think people who act in a certain way to appear cool are pretentious arseholes. I therefore probably agree with Tony’s point.

As I have stated earlier, I don’t think any of the obscure music fans on this forum are trying to act cool. I see you all as enthusiast perusing a hobby and interest. I think of you as the music industries equivalent of trainspotters.

I have, however, never generally denounced mainstream music, nor can I think of anyone else on this forum who has.
Please read Tony's quote below
People normally buy the current best selling record on the planet due to unbelievable laziness and ignorance. Most people who have very mainstream record collections have heard of very few of the bands I and others here rave about, yet we have heard all the ones they do

Not only do people slag off mainstream music, but slag off people who listen to it.

by gulping up hype and marketing bullshit that surrounded Cobain’s death some idiots thought getting into Nevermind (well after the fact) made them look cool, but being so clueless about the music that preceded it ensured they weren’t
The above states being so clueless about the music that preceded it, makes them not cool.
This by definition must mean NOT being so clueless about the music that preceded it, MAKES them cool.
Shamefully, I have none of Kit's list, the majority of which I haven't heard of.
You are ashamed, because you have not heard of a few records Kit owns. Say no more.
It’s the equivalent of owning just a copy of The Division Bell and a matching mullet hairstyle and thinking it makes you an expert on UK prog rock, i.e. very, very sad indeed.
HMMM. Not knowing who made The Division Bell, not having a mullet and not knowing the definition of UK prog rock, IYO I would probably not even reach the heights of very, very sad.

Not everybody wants to be an expert and to be honest I find them to be tiresome and boring. Yet a flock of them can be amusing.
He was great at taking the cash for singing tripe, I mean....little boxes.......let's get real, it was rubbish.
Mick
Little Boxes. Was he not singing about shoebox Naim amps.

Originally posted by fatcat

Not everybody wants to be an expert and to be honest I find them to be tiresome and boring. Yet a flock of them can be amusing.

So finding a lot of "experts" talking about music on a hi-fi forum is tiresome and boring eh?

Hmmm.....

Rich

Originally posted by Mick Parry

I am visiting (hopefully next Thursday) ATC's factory to look at their speakers.

The ATC's have their own power amp built into the speaker, so until I have heard these speakers, I cannot comment on my next move.

Mick -

I think you'll be well impressed w. ATC speakers; a friend of mine has big 3-way powered ATCs which he runs his CDP and turntable through, it's frightening. In a good way. Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Bruce

Originally posted by fatcat

So finding a lot of "experts" talking about music on a hi-fi forum is tiresome and boring eh? Hmmm.....
Rich

The quote you have highlighted was a respnse to Tony's quote
It’s the equivalent of owning just a copy of The Division Bell and a matching mullet hairstyle and thinking it makes you an expert on UK prog rock, i.e. very, very sad indeed.

If you are talking about this hihi forum. I didnt realise there where a lot of experts talking music on this site. There are a lot of people airing their opinions on this site, this is the purpose of a forum, they are only opinions. Even MY opinions may seem incorrect to a few people.

Some people who post in DIY could be described as experts, eg ALW or Les. What they say is probably based on scientific fact or R&D.

I would be interested to know if you regard yourself as an expert.

Fatcat

Using the term expert relatively - as there is no 'qualification' as regards enjoying music that I know of then, yes, I would regard myself as an expert. Seeing as music takes up a huge proportion of my waking hours - listening to it, playing it, reading about it, buying it....etc.

I think one of the points this thread has raised is whether people who spend a lot of time listening to music, enjoying it, finding that what they have listened to links to something else, go off and find that something else, etc.....ultimately finding themselves enjoying some very diverse and non-mainstream music - should then be classified as people who think they are 'cool'. And whether that classification is one that they apply to themselves or that others apply to them.

On the basis that I am over 18 any coolness is massively lost to me now as I know very few people who would give a shit about my unhealthy obsession with Josef K and the other bands on Postcard Records (to give one random example of my taste). Admittedly when I was 18 i thought it was brilliant to wind up the Genesis fans in the 6th form block with a bit of Radio Drill Time but that fun has long since passed. But what it did do is set me off on a course of searching out all the various influences of the Postcard bands - back and forth through 'pop' history getting into all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff (and no small amount of shite as well!).

To the extent that I am now an expert compared to the guy who stuck with Genesis and their offshoots (Mike and The Mechanics perhaps). Mainly due to the fact that the Genesis dude has got other things to occupy his time I'm sure.

So in the same way that the he now concocts loads of varied recipes from cuisines all over the world - and I stick to beans on toast - he is a food expert - I am a music expert. No coolness attached to either really.

Cheers

Rich

PS 'Genesis foodie' man doesn't actually exist - that I know of.

Well as the "Genesis foodie man", that I am I suppose a short reply is in order. If I hadn't been into Genesis when aged 18 I wouldn't have looked into their influences and thus would have missed out on King Crimson, Eno, etc, etc. through ever expanding horizons. Cool wasn't the issue but discovering new music was.

Ok I left (most) of Genesis behind and discovered food and whisky and now have an expanding waistline as well as an expanding record collection.

But to remind you of an "oldie but goodie" by The Tower of Power
So you wanna dump out yo trick bag,
Ease on into a hip bag.
But you ain't just exactly sure what's hip.

So you start to let your hair grow.
Spent big bucks on your wardrobe.
But somehow you know there's much more to the trip.

What is hip? Tell me tell me, if you think ya know.
What is hip? And if you're really hip, the passing years will show,
That you into a hip trip, maybe hipper than hip.
But what is hip?

So you became part of the new breed.
Been smoking only the best weed.
Hanging out with so-called hippest set.
Been seen in all the right places,
Seen with just the right faces.
You should be satisfied,
But still it ain't quite right.

What is hip? Tell me tell me if you think you know.
What is hip? And if you're really hip.
The passing years would show,
That you into a hip trip, maybe hipper than hip.
What is hip?

Hipness is what it is!
Sometimes hipness is what it ain't!

You done went and found you a guru,
In an effort to find you a new you.
And maybe even managed to raise your conscience level.

As you're striving to find the right road,
There's one thing you should know:
What's hip today might become passe'.

What is hip? Tell me tell me if you think you know.
What is hip? And if you're really hip, the passing years would show
That you into a hip trip. Maybe hipper than hip.
WHAT IS HIP? ,

Now tell me was this ever cool?

reunion%20photo.jpg

Tom

Perhaps Genesis wasn't a good example - in that I was referring to their Abacab period rather than Trespass!

With you implicitly with Tower Of Power though - Freebo on tuba!

Cheers

Rich

advertisement

Back