Bon Jovi
Coldplay
Beautiful South
Smashing Pumpkins

With shite like this around how does the King even get a look in :confused:

Regards,

Mus

Anything I don't like is overrated.
Anything widely popular and well known is overrated.
The only cool music is made by bands you've never heard of.
The coolness of a band's music is inversely proportional to the number of albums they've sold.

You all sound part trendy-insecure-teenager and part failed-musician-now-I'm-a-critic-for-NME.

Rant off.

I think Coldplay are overrated.

Inevitably, well known bands are more likely to be termed overrated because lesser known bands were never really rated in the first place. I don't see that as snobbery.

And yes, Coldplay are overrated.
As are most bands who sell millions.

Try as I may I just dont see what all the fuss is over Bob Dylan.

Agree! He wins my "most overrated award". He's not excactly bad, some of the early stuff is even quite good, but he's not THAT good, far from it.

So, O V E R R A T E D!

Others who are overrated:
- Beatles. They where maybe the best band ever, but that's not stopping them from being overrated (people are still crowding at the Zebra crossing on Abbey Road after 35 years. I know, I've done it myself, I'm a big fan ;) )
- Springsteen. Some stuff is fantastic, and a concert with him was one of the two best I've been to, but he's not as good as the hype say.
- Led Zep. I have the complete box on CD, and no, it's not that good.
- Punk. As someone has said, it's just Heavy Metal played badly.

JohanR

1. Supertramp (I HATE this band)

2. Yes (Boring)

3. The Eagles (Dull)

4. Queen (Some ok songs)

5. Led Zeppelin (Some good songs)

To those people that listed, Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, David Bowie and all of Punk. Well, I can only shake my head in disbelief.

Er,
1. Beatles
2. Radiohead
3. Manic Street Preachers
4. Oasis
5. Oasis

Did I say Oasis...?

andy c!

But then again i have Naim Kit so have no taste at all anyway LOL :D

REM
Franz Ferdinand
Eminem
any rap
Springsteen
anything on MTV or VH1

I'm an old codger, I know...

I knew some trendy would react to that:p .

I actually don't mind the pixies, in fact I quite like some of their stuff, but to suggest (as many do) that they invented Grunge (well at least the Quite/Loud aspects) when in fact dozens of bands were doing the same sort of thing at the same time (or before) as the Pixies, removing the Pixies from the equation would make no differance to anyone. It was only Nirvana bringing the whole Genre to the Mainstream that made an impact.

I love how you call me trendy greeny!
I agree Nirvana brought grunge to the mainstream with Smells like teen spirit, but as Nirvana were hugely influenced by Pixies...
Anyway, the fact that Pixies weren't as big as Nirvana makes them underrated in my book.

With timely reporting, today's Guardian has a section about over-rated bands/tv/films/authors.

Unsurprisingly Included in the music section are:

Prince
Beatles
Stones
Springsteen
Strokes

and rather surprisingly The Stone Roses.

There are others mentioned, but I can't remember who they are.

…removing the Pixies from the equation would make no differance to anyone. It was only Nirvana bringing the whole Genre to the Mainstream that made an impact.

To whom exactly is this 'impact' relevant? Many of us simply don’t care about the ‘mainstream’, whatever that may be. Had I been able to look into the future and see that a load of unimaginative people would buy Nevermind after Cobain’s death because they thought it made them look cool would have had little effect on my enjoyment of the Pixies / Sonic Youth etc gigs I went to or records I bought four or five years earlier.

Tony.

Overated by who?
Nobody has answered this question yet.

Overrated by critics
Overrated by the media
Overrated by record buying public
Overrated by other musicians
Overrated by the wife

Overrated for their musicianship
Overrated for their vocal ability
Overrated for their song writing

unimaginative people would buy Nevermind after Cobain’s death because they thought it made them look cool
I think you’ve got this totally arse about face.

NODODY buys the current best selling record on the planet in an effort to look cool.

Sad people who want to look cool, buy music made by musicians nobody has heard of.

NODODY buys the current best selling record on the planet in an effort to look cool.

Sad people who want to look cool, buy music made by musicians nobody has heard of.

People normally buy the current best selling record on the planet due to unbelievable laziness and ignorance. Most people who have very mainstream record collections have heard of very few of the bands I and others here rave about, yet we have heard all the ones they do – we just spend more time learning about what is out there. It has nothing to do with some stupid perception of ‘coolness’. I do it because I am genuinely interested in music even though it takes some effort and results in my hearing a lot of stuff I don’t like in the process. I will listen to absolutely anything to see if I like it. How uncool is that?

IMHO any public perception of ‘cool’ or ‘not cool’ is usually arrived at well after the fact, so people who have a genuine interest in new music tend to bypass that process completely. I have always liked seeing bands at the very start of their career when they are playing tiny venues with very low admission prices – it means I can see more bands for my money and can see them in venues that are more local, have cheaper beer, less queues at the bar etc. At this time it is not known what a band’s future is, and usually I know next to nothing about their past (I don’t read the music press). As a result I’ve seen 1000s of bands that few people have heard of, some crap, some great, some had no success, some became absolutely huge. I have never remotely cared whether a band is considered ‘cool’.

Tony.

How would mainstream artists become famous if nobody bought their "unheard of" first albums?

I personally love discovering an album that I haven't previously heard, and thinking - this is brilliant! Mainstream or cult act, it matters not. Only the music matters.

I have always liked seeing bands at the very start of their career when they are playing tiny venues with very low admission prices – it means I can see more bands for my money and can see them in venues that are more local, have cheaper beer, less queues at the bar etc.

Cheaper beer, better venues, less travelling, etc. I can't think of a better reason to listen to everything! :D

rod

Tony/Rod

Calm Down Calm Down

I think you have miss interpreted my post. I am not saying people who listen to obscure bands are sad people trying to look cool. This is a ridiculous thin to say.

I listen to obscure bands as well as mainstream bands. I also listen and appreciate every type of music. If it’s good music, it’s good music.

The point I was making is SOME people in an attempt to look cool prattle on about bands nobody has heard of.
Usually, if a band subsequently becomes popular they will insist they are now crap.

advertisement

Back