advertisement

Tonearm upgrade

For me this is easy - if Rega-spec mounting is an option and it is in budget I'd go for an Origin Live Onyx.
I've just added one to my Lenco PTP L75 and it's superb - much better than anything I've used before which includes an Akito and Roksan Nima...
I’d love one of those, but not really within budget. I saw on Fleabay a little while ago - it was there for about 5 minutes! (But still too much)
I might try and save up 😎

I’d love one of those, but not really within budget. I saw on Fleabay a little while ago - it was there for about 5 minutes! (But still too much)
I might try and save up 😎
FWIW I really think it's worth it. Build quality, the solidity, sensible and clever design, and also the after-sales support from OL is really positive. And it sounds great of course.

I’ll take anyone’s Series V for £300 😊🤪

More seriously, this guy does SME-Rega plates and many others soundsupports.co.uk/product/sme-to-rega-adaptor-plate/

I think, much as I’d love an old 774, my safest bet with the med-low compliance K9 would be to go Rega, although the 774 does have the paddles to compensate…..
Whichever, I’ll probably rewire it myself.
Thanks for the lively discussions! Most informative and enjoyable.
774 is in a different league to the older Rega arms IMO, don’t know about the newer ones. Didn’t seem fussy to me about cartridge compliance, even without the paddles. Such a big, clear sound - Rega sounded a little muddy and flat in comparison. Again, this was an old RB300. I've heard a newer version but only on a Rega deck, and I wouldn't call that combination muddy at all.

Thanks for input everyone! The deck is pre-cut for an SME fitting. The current Linn arm is on a circular arm board.
Took me a while to find that out ! I was looking only at Linn drop-ins, but then my scope was suddenly widened.
Found a chap who makes aluminium SME to Rega plates, so that would be simple enough.
I’m guessing that the mounting plate for an original 774 would fit there too.
Someone on another forum suggested that the 774 would be no better than the Basik, but I trouble believing that. Maybe referring to the other 774s.

If changing deck, would a Rega P3, RB300 be a good step up?
774 no better than a Basik, who suggested it Tommy Cooper?

Hi all. Belated thanks again for all the input.
Bought an RB251 on FBay. Rewired it with Cardas copper to a 5 pin din. Had an adaptor plate made from acrylic which gave the perfect arm height on the Michell. Made a tone arm cable,from Mogami mic wire and the whole thing sounds great. Bass is taughter, highs less grainy, etc. Everything just seems better.
Very happy.

Hi all. Belated thanks again for all the input.
Bought an RB251 on FBay. Rewired it with Cardas copper to a 5 pin din. Had an adaptor plate made from acrylic which gave the perfect arm height on the Michell. Made a tone arm cable,from Mogami mic wire and the whole thing sounds great. Bass is taughter, highs less grainy, etc. Everything just seems better.
Very happy.
Good news. I don't know why people persist with arms like the Basik when even the entry Rega arms are so much better. Even the lowly RB251 you've got will happily take a good moving coil cartridge. And they cost about the same as a Basik too!

The Michell came originally with an LV V, so the easy, logical step up seemed to be the Basik Plus. It was better and, importantly, was a drop-in replacement. Plus at the time I thought I had to go Linn mount. Didn't realise there was a much bigger hole under the Linn adapter.
But now the 251 is in place it’s a whole new game. Much better sound, as I mentioned, but also a much more “engineered” feel when using the arm, which is very satisfying.

The Michell came originally with an LV V, so the easy, logical step up seemed to be the Basik Plus. It was better and, importantly, was a drop-in replacement. Plus at the time I thought I had to go Linn mount.
I think this is the primary reason Linn tonearms still exist!

When Rega introduced the RB300/250 it decimated the UK tonearm market. Lots of turntable manufactures who had been using budget Linn arms switched, all of them really, and soon the only way Linn could sell any tonearms at all was on their own turntables. Both the Basik and Axis turntables had no detachable armboard so you couldn't fit a Rega arm without mutilating the deck. The propaganda that Linn arms don't work on the LP12 worked well until they changed all of the sub-chassis to ones which extended under the arm mounting so that it was impossible to fit a Rega arm to an LP12 without changing the sub-chassis as well.

I'm not saying Rega arms are the best in the world but they are astonishing value and miles better than anything Linn offer for similar money. I's just a shame that so many people still buy the Linn party line and stick with tonearms which really aren't very good.

I bought a Roksan Nima unipivot tonearm a while back. It looks the nuts, but I'm unconvinced my records sound that much better than they did with the pimped up RB250 it replaced. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Rega Arm.

What ever happened to the Zeta? It was considered a top arm in the past. Or a Stogi? Would neither work on the TT? or are they just too rare/too expensive etc

3009 any good to you? I'm selling this one.

Linn geometry will be easiest, for sure, maybe an Akito would be a worthwhile step up for sensible dosh. There are other arms using the same geometry - my Alphason HR100S dropped straight onto a Linn armboard, but that might be OTT for the deck and/or budget.
Hi. Had Akito arm, then Michell Tecnoarm, followed by SME 309 on Michells. Budget sadly didn't allow for Alphason HR100 in the day-looked lovely.
Tony

advertisement

Back