advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Black Friday 30% off at the Blue Note UK store with the voucher code....

BNOTE30

Those slightly less essential Tone Poets are a lot more attractive at £23 to £25. I just filled my boots. Several are 'New stock on the way' so I may have to wait. But at the price it'd be rude not to.

Black Friday 30% off at the Blue Note UK store with the voucher code....BNOTE30

Thanks for posting this - just doubled by collection of TPs by getting these four for just over £100incl delivery, which feels like a bargain:

Expansions
Comin' Your Way
My Point of View
Prayer Meetin'

TBH I was lucky a lot of the other choices were already sold out, I would have got very carried away...

I am tempted by the two Joe Henderson records, both of which are in stock.

I do already have these on a double pack CD which sounds pretty decent and I play then quite regularly. Has anyone done a comparison? Is it worth shelling out for the vinyl?
I think I'm right in thinking they were a digital recording?

I am tempted by the two Joe Henderson records, both of which are in stock.

I do already have these on a double pack CD which sounds pretty decent and I play then quite regularly. Has anyone done a comparison? Is it worth shelling out for the vinyl?
I think I'm right in saying they were a digital recording.

The CDs are very good. I'm not listening - la la la :)

I've been away from this thread for a long time, due to disillusionment with Blue Note, after they kept me waiting 6 months for an order, with really crap customer service. I also found I had over-invested in some good but not spectacular reissues and wasn't playing them enough to justify the price.

However I was tempted back by 'The All-Seeing Eye' and I'm now thinking of hoovering up some I've missed in the sale.

My impressions are that Sonny Clark, My Conception is a good session for Mobley, and perhaps worth it for me for that. I'm just going through Blakey's 'Witch Doctor' on Qobuz and at leat some of it is pretty compelling, though Blakey is outdoing his reputation for brutalism at points. Again, might be worth getting for me for the horns. Katanga I have to check out.

Any thoughts? Are those three a good sales-buy-trio?

(Of the other 2021 releases I have One Flight Up, Passing Ships, and The All Seeing Eye.)

Addendum .. I think I can live without Witch Doctor

I've been away from this thread for a long time, due to disillusionment with Blue Note, after they kept me waiting 6 months for an order, with really crap customer service. I also found I had over-invested in some good but not spectacular reissues and wasn't playing them enough to justify the price.

However I was tempted back by 'The All-Seeing Eye' and I'm now thinking of hoovering up some I've missed in the sale.

My impressions are that Sonny Clark, My Conception is a good session for Mobley, and perhaps worth it for me for that. I'm just going through Blakey's 'Witch Doctor' on Qobuz and at leat some of it is pretty compelling, though Blakey is outdoing his reputation for brutalism at points. Again, might be worth getting for me for the horns. Katanga I have to check out.

(Of the other 2021 releases I have One Flight Up, Passing Ships, and The All Seeing Eye.)

Katanga is great IMO and a super pressing.

I have all of those you mention plus a couple you don’t mention.
IMO Witch Doctor is good in parts, but not essential as you have probably already decided.
My Conception is well worth having. Excellent for both Clark and Mobley. Just a little below their best ones.
Katanga is first rate. It was a must have for me.
One Flight Up, All Seeing Eye and Passing Ships are excellent as you have found out.
You don’t mention McCoy Tyner - Expansions and I would rate that as Essential as well if you don’t have an excellent copy.

I have all of those you mention plus a couple you don’t mention.
IMO Witch Doctor is good in parts, but not essential as you have probably already decided.
My Conception is well with having. Excellent for both Clark and Mobley. Just a little below their best ones.
Katanga is first rate. It was a must have for me.
One Flight Up, All Seeing Eye and Passing Ships are excellent as you have found out.
You don’t mention McCoy Tyner - Expansions and I would rate that as Essential as well if you don’t have an excellent copy.

Yes, I have Expansions - sorry I didn't realise it was this year. Time is elastic for me of late. Thanks for confirming my feelings. I've been going through Katanga since I posted and like it.

Just have to go through the recent Classics Series, although I think the ones I would want are either out of stock or duplicating ones I have on Music Matters (e.g Maiden Voyage).

I 'only' have 10 or a dozen Tone Poets. I especially like Lee Morgan - The Cooker and the Andrew Hills Black Fire and Passing Ships plus One Flight Up...

Yes, I have Expansions - sorry I didn't realise it was this year. Time is elastic for me of late. Thanks for confirming my feelings. I've been going through Katanga since I posted and like it.

Just have to go through the recent Classics Series, although I think the ones I would want are either out of stock or duplicating ones I have on Music Matters (e.g Maiden Voyage).
I also had Lee Konitz Meets Gerry Mulligan (21) in the above TP’s, but could have happily passed on that one.
In the Classics I passed on most because I have had very good copies (mainly Music Matters or good early ones) plus a couple of the most recent ones don’t appeal to me. I did get Maiden Voyage because although I had pretty good copies I did not have the MM for that and thought it might be better. It was. Excellent both mastering and pressing. I also got Six Pieces of Silver as I need a good vinyl copy of that, but have not had time to give it a spin yet.

Priorities my friend ;)
Got back from a few days away late yesterday and this morning found, my even more elderly than me, neighbour had had his computer and bank account hacked with money taken and he was being inundated with more scams phone calls. I felt helping him resolve it all was my top priority today. :(

Got back from a few days away late yesterday and this morning found, my even more elderly than me, neighbour had had he computer and bank account hacked with money taken and he was being inundated with more scams phone calls. I felt helping him resolve it all was my top priority today. :(

Oh gosh - all the best!

Of the ones I have you've got all the stand outs, I think (apart from Katanga). I think the Sam Rivers and the other Andrew Hill will be growers though.

Thanks very much Colonel_Mad! I've just ordered:

Art Blakey - Witch Doctor
Stanley Terrentine - Hustlin'
Jutta Hip with Zoot Sims

Much obliged for that 30% off!

I have a few TP's. Latest couple that I really like are Katanga and the Kicker (Bobby Hutcherson), the Grant Green (Born to be Blue) is really nice too.

The real left field surprise though was Donald Byrd's "Places and Spaces" (ok, not a TP, it's a BN Classic) - not what I would usually listen to but what a beautiful album!

Of the ones I have you've got all the stand outs, I think (apart from Katanga). I think the Sam Rivers and the other Andrew Hill will be growers though.

I liked the Sam Rivers a lot when it came out but haven't listened for ages. The Hill have all been very good, though none quite a match for the Music Matters 'Point of Departure', which is of course an all-time great and one of the best reissues I have.

advertisement

Back