advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Listening to Roots And Herbs. Hmmm, good but not great? I wonder if the source material not quite up to the standard of the others perhaps. Can’t really explain why but sonically just not quite “there”?

Listening to Roots And Herbs. Hmmm, good but not great? I wonder if the source material not quite up to the standard of the others perhaps. Can’t really explain why but sonically just not quite “there”?

Wish you hadn’t of said that, as Roots and Herbs arriving tomorrow along with Silver’s Further Explorations and Tyner’s Tender Moments. But at least they will be the best versions of themselves (ugh! can’t believe I’ve just said that!)

That’s surprising, I like my copy. I’ll give it another spin. The only one I’ve noticed any sonic issue with is the Chick Corea where there is a tape drop-out that loses much of the left channel for a few seconds on one track, but still a really great album and absolutely worth a punt.

PS It will take me some time to really pick the bones out of them as I’m currently buying them faster than I can digest them really, and (ducks, covers!) so much is similar era hard-bop it all kind of merges into one gigantic album! My only criticism of the series is that it doesn’t mix and match more, e.g. some hard bop, some more angular late-60s stuff, some ‘70s funk and soul-jazz etc. I’m really looking forward to the Scofield Metheny landing as that is a real outlier in this series. No regrets at all; I’ll keep on picking ‘em when they are ripe and just process them later.

I know what it might be...listening to it after Tender Moments and Oblique...it is “just” a regular blowing session (this seems incredibly disrespectful but hopefully you know what I mean) rather than the more unique music on the other 2 albums. Nothing wrong with it as such, just not quite as amazing!
I’d certainly like to investigate more of the somewhat more sophisticated/left field stuff...

I’m same as you Tony, getting in far more of this music than I can give adequate time to!

My only criticism of the series is that it doesn’t mix and match more, e.g. some hard bop, some more angular late-60s stuff, some ‘70s funk and soul-jazz etc.

I’d agree, and there are plenty of great titles on Blue Note that fit your description. But reading biogs and interviews by musicians and surveying the jazz scene from the late 50s onwards I think it’s fair to say that comparatively Blue Note was a fairly conservative label. How many less commercial albums were shelved? Quite a few. Impulse, Saturn, ESP and other independents such as Zulu, Tribe, Strata East, Flying Dutchman pushed the boat further out. And that is just the states.

I’m listening to The Kicker now. Utterly sublime. How did RVG get vibes to sound approx a zillion per cent better than a piano though?!

Blue Note's forte was always hard bop but there were definitely some less conservative stuff. The problem is that most BN reissuers tend to focus on the same tired 'classics'. Partly the reason is commercial, the avant garde or less mainstream records may not sell. In this regard I think the Tone Poets are actually pretty good in that they try to reissue a more diverse range of music.

Tony, do you not have the TP records from Wayne Shorter, Sam Rivers, Andrew Hill, Joe Henderson (@ VV) ? Certainly not hard bop.

PS It will take me some time to really pick the bones out of them as I’m currently buying them faster than I can digest them really, and (ducks, covers!) so much is similar era hard-bop it all kind of merges into one gigantic album! My only criticism of the series is that it doesn’t mix and match more, e.g. some hard bop, some more angular late-60s stuff, some ‘70s funk and soul-jazz etc. I’m really looking forward to the Scofield Metheny landing as that is a real outlier in this series. No regrets at all; I’ll keep on picking ‘em when they are ripe and just process them later.

Charles Lloyd and Joe Harley are friends and it was Lloyd that gave him the nick name the Tone Poet some years ago as he had worked as producer or sound technician for him on some of his albums, including 'Lift Every Voice', 'Vanished Gardens' and Lloyd thought he had a "very descerning pair of ears". I think Harley may have worked on Lloyds last album as well 'Kindred Spirits'.

Good to see that The "Tone Poet" series is venturing into quality new releases. CD and vinyl so I wonder if it was recorded to analogue tape?

As an aside (sorry if off topic) I can remember in the very late 1960's early early 1970's being at a concert at what was then the Hammersmith Odean and the bill was Charles Lloyd in the first half an Sonny Rollins as 'the star' for the second half. Pretty much an audience of hard core main steam jazz fans who had mainly come for Rollins and hated Lloyd who's performance they felt was too 'way out' and to much influenced by rock music. Plenty of booing throughout his performance offset by a few cheers by those of us who were enjoying his performance that was being spoiled by the interruptions. Fights nearly broke out in parts of the audience. By chance I happened to be sitting next to Paul Jones from Manfred Mann (also a Jazz fan who is on Carla Bley's, avant garde at the time (1971), 'Ecalator Over The Hill') who got into a really heated dispute with a guy in front. Luckily things calmed down for the Rollins set.

Jim, your encylopedic knowledge never fails to add value to my appreciation of this series.

I checked my copy of Wild Man Dance and there is Harley's name as sound consultant. Given the quality of Lloyd's recent output and of the sound on his recordings ( some of the ECM CDs are among the best I've heard) this might well be an essential purchase - and meet the wish in posts above for a little more variety in the series.

Hopefully the music will be in line with the 2016 set recorded here which I've watched quite a few times - they do a great version of Lady Gabor at the start of this set which is on the coming release. I'm a big Frisell fan and his playing is sublime throughout - it'll be especially good to hear his guitar with TP clarity and tone.

Jim, your encylopedic knowledge never fails to ass value to my appreciation of this series.

I checked my copy of Wild Man Dance and there is Harley's name as sound consultant. Given the quality of Lloyd's recent output and of the sound on his recordings ( some of the ECM CDs are among the best I've heard) this might well be an essential purchase - and meet the wish in posts above for a little more variety in the series.

Hopefully the music will be in line with the 2016 set recorded here which I've watched quite a few times - they do a great version of Lady Gabor which is on the coming release. I'm a big Frisell fan and his playing is sublime throughout - it'll be especially good to hear his guitar with TP clarity and tone.
Kevin, thanks - much too kind.

I love most of Charles Lloyd's stuff old and new. Not with Harley, but the 2014 release of recorded 1965 Manhattan Stories with Gabor Szabo Guitar, Ron Carter on Bass and Pete La Roca on Drums is good.

Yes I hope this adds to variety in the Tone Poet series as well. I do though agree with Hockman above. Harley has made a real attempt to add some of the less conservative Blue Note material. An especially vailent effort when he was well aware that those type of recording sat in the Music Matters catalog for years without selling many copies This with pressing runs thought only to about 500 initially and only recently have these taken off (post Tone a Poets) and started to sell out. The same problem Alfred Lion and Francis Wolff had in the sixties. You like and want to support this music, but can you do it and still stay in business or make any money?

Good to see the Charles Lloyd. I love his ECM stuff. I just hope the price dips a bit!
Hopefully, but perhaps unlikely as that is the BN store price and now that Amazon has prices up not down from that and elsewhere are at best a £1 cheaper? :(

Hopefully, but perhaps unlikely as that is the BN store price and now that Amazon has prices up not down from that and elsewhere are at best a £1 cheaper? :(

I managed to get a preorder of the Scofield & Metheny on Amazon at £36 (though for some reason it’s now listed under the drummer’s name so it wouldn’t surprise me if it got cancelled!).

I managed to get a preorder of the Scofield & Metheny on Amazon at £36 (though for some reason it’s now listed under the drummer’s name so it wouldn’t surprise me if it got cancelled!).
I saw elsewhere that someone had ordered this at a similar price on Dodax UK or Fr. and some others that were cheaper than elsewhere. They then claimed they were out of stock and put the price up. Obviously they made a mistake on the pricing, probably thinking it was a single. I hope you get yours though and Amazon do guarantee their pre order prices. ( now at nearly £40).

I got the Chambers, Gordon and Morgan as pre orders on Amazon UK at a few pence over £33 with free Prime delivery.

I hope you get your though and Amazon do guarantee their pre order prices. ( now at nearly £40).

It was up at £69 at one point! I think Amazon only renege on a price if there is a huge pile-on and hundreds or thousands ordered at that price. I doubt that is the case here. My main worry is they have it wrongly credited as Bill Stewart (the drummer), so they could pull an ‘item cancelled as unavailable’ stunt or whatever.

Tony, do you not have the TP records from Wayne Shorter, Sam Rivers, Andrew Hill, Joe Henderson (@ VV) ? Certainly not hard bop.

Buried deep within the Hoffman Tone Poet thread, there was talk of Hill’s Andrew!!!! and Dance with Death being considered. Let’s hope it happens. Both essential.

advertisement

Back