advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Oblique up next. Stunning! The delicacy of the playing...and Joe Chambers again. What a force of a nature, and a composer as well. First time I’ve heard Albert Stinson. Life tragically cut short at 24. This is so so good. I need to hunt down more Bobby H.
The Kicker is on Tone Poet the same lineup as Idle Moments and The even better Dialogue is scheduled for a Tone Poet release hopefully this year.

I need to hunt down more Bobby H.

Components, Dialogue & Happenings are all essential, as obviously is his playing on Eric Dolphy’s Out To Lunch and Grant Green’s Idle Moments. There’s a load more later stuff that I’ve not heard and I bet is great too.

PS Definitely up for Dialogue if that gets a TP release!

What’s the best pressing of Idle Moments (that’s commonly available)? Got a heap of GG but not that one. Might ask my second hand dealer if he has it on a Japanese issue...

Mine is one of the late-90s ‘Mastered By Capitol’ 180g pressings and it isn’t bad. I’d expect a Japanese pressing to beat it though. I suspect it will end up in the BN Classics range given time, it’s in most people’s top 30 or so.

What’s the best pressing of Idle Moments (that’s commonly available)? Got a heap of GG but not that one. Might ask my second hand dealer if he has it on a Japanese issue...
Idle Moments and Happenings are on both on Music Matters, but very expensive now. Because of this they won't appear on Tone Poet anytime soon. So a Japanese pressing is possibly best if you have a good source. I just have the CD's plus the DeAgostini of Idle Moments as well that is fairly good, but I expect as Tony says this is almost certain to appear as a BNClassic as it's a top selling title.

Some of his best playing is on Out to Lunch and I have the Music Matters 2x45rpm of that that is excellent. Well ahead of the two other pressings and CD I have, one is the DeAgostini again.

'Stick Up' is also good and there are rumours of a Tone Poet eventually for that one. In the meantime there is a Heavenly Sweetness reissue.

And I also forgot that he is on Grachan Moncur III's Evolution that is an essential album. I have an MM of that one.

I doubt anytime soon as there does not seem any reference to them in Joe Harley's own Instagram posts or from those who know him personally on the SH forum. He seems to have listened to pretty much all he is considering over the next two years.

What are the odds of any ‘70s Blue Note hitting Tone Poets? I really want to dive into the funk

Midnight Creeper has been hinted at, but nothing more recent. Donald Byrd’s Kofi would be nice to have from 1969/70 - his In A Silent Way.

The 2021 release schedule should appear soon.

I’ve got what I think is a Scorpio of Lou Donaldson’s Midnight Creeper so I’d certainly swap that out for a TP. The TP of Mr Shing-Aling sounds amazing! I’d love all the ‘70s Byrd, Electric Byrd sounds interesting too. I grabbed last year’s Ethiopian Knights and that’s great.

I’ve got what I think is a Scorpio of Lou Donaldson’s Midnight Creeper so I’d certainly swap that out for a TP. The TP of Mr Shing-Aling sounds amazing! I’d love all the ‘70s Byrd, Electric Byrd sounds interesting too. I grabbed last year’s Ethiopian Knights and that’s great.

I think I have the same Midnight Creeper, sounds a bit lacklustre and shut in by comparison. Gatefold sleeve but hard to identify pressing origin.

Donaldson’s Alligator Boogaloo in the BN80 series is a must have too, sounds great. Those three LDs make a nice set.

along with Ronnie Laws Pressure Sensitive

Just googled it, agreed. I definitely need more of that sort of stuff. The more I look into it the more it looks like the 1970s have been airbrushed out of Blue Note history. Highly annoying as this sort of stuff is very ‘now’ again with a lot of the London jazz scene and people like Thundercat diving back into groove-driven ‘70s jazz funk. It is an area I know I like but have a lot of exploring to do.

Are you familiar with Spiral by Bobby H? Got a chance of a UK 1979 pressing

Yes, I have a copy and know it well. Mine is a 1979 UA copy and sounds excellent. As its release was delayed until 1979 it will probably be a first press. Most tracks recorded in 1968 with Harold Land on Tenor, Stanley Cowell piano, Reggie Johnson bass and Paul Chambers drums - so a stellar line up.

The final track Jasper is from 1965 and has the brilliant Sam Rivers on tenor sax and bass clarinet.

One of Hutcherson’s more avant release, but I prefer it that way. I’d grab it now.

R-1063934-1362871934-6240.jpeg.jpg

I have this one. It’s excellent. The UK reissues (jazz file?) of this LT series are quite good in my memory

Are you familiar with Spiral by Bobby H? Got a chance of a UK 1979 pressing
No unfortunately I don't have a copy, but I do have a few of the UK Jazz files that John C mentions above, they are AAA and as UK issues probably from a copy master. Solid Blue Liberty label similar to those mentioned in post (901)above (but with made in England in the text). No RVG stamp, but Sound quality is generally excellent. Many of these were first releases around 1979 of shelved mid sixties recordings. I'm looking at Hank Mobley's 'A Slice of The Top' at the moment. Recorded 18th March 1966 and first released in 1979. They are usually still cheap? If it's one of these grab it. I would like to find more. :)

No unfortunately I don't have a copy, but I do have a few of the UK Jazz files that John C mentions above, they are AAA and as UK issues probably from a copy master. Solid Blue Liberty label similar to those mentioned in post (901)above (but with made in England in the text). No RVG stamp, but Sound quality is generally excellent. Many of these were first releases around 1979 of shelved mid sixties recordings. I'm looking at Hank Mobley's 'A Slice of The Top' at the moment. Recorded 18th March 1966 and first released in 1979. They are usually still cheap? If it's one of these grab it. I would like to find more. :)
Yeah I'm grabbing it for £10! Will report back.

Donald Byrd's - 'Byrd In Flight' arrived here late yesterday and I giving it a spin today. These Joe Harley / Kevin Grey masterings seem just to get better and beteter. This one is spectacular, demonstration quality. Really superb macro and micro dynamics, often at the same time, with no sacrifice in instrument separation, tonal quality and soundstage width or depth. Just listen to Donald's tonality on his subtle, but still dynamic solo, The Blues number 'Gate City'. Mobley, Pearson ( particularly for an RVG recorded pianist), Watkins and Humphries all sounding good as well. This really swings. Mark me down as impressed. :)

Tina Brooks - 'The Waiting Game' supposedly arriving today. I hope this is as good.

advertisement

Back