advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Chet Baker and had a listen last night. Fabulous recoding for 1956, and I think I’ve convinced myself that I like his voice (sort of).

incidentally, over at Steve Hoffman, after initial posts saying how good the latest batch of Tone Poets are it seems they all suffer from ‘piano warble’. I don’t hear it myself.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Chet Baker and had a listen last night. Fabulous recoding for 1956, and I think I’ve convinced myself that I like his voice (sort of).

incidentally, over at Steve Hoffman, after initial posts saying how good the latest batch of Tone Poets are it seems they all suffer from ‘piano warble’. I don’t hear it myself.
Glad your (sort off) liking his singing as well. The the unhyped natural recording of his voice and the whole recording is top rate, up with the excellent standard of all this latest batch and I don't hear any problems with the piano either. When I last looked on SH all the posts were as enthusiastic as I was. So the warblegaters are off again over there. :mad:

Given the recent passing of McCoy Tyner I'd liked to see what JH & KG could do with the 'Real McCoy'. I guess it won't happen on Tone Poet as there is a Music Matters version, but perhaps a BN80 if that series continues to run after May?

McCoy Tyner’s Tender Moments is more in the hidden gem mode the Tone Poets go for. A lovely record with some great ensemble playing.

Joe Harley has made a post on the SH Forum about the present status of the mastering and pressing of the Tone Poet series. Of course delivery into the U.K. And Europe even for the ones listed to come out as scheduled may be protracted:

"Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop in very briefly to offer my profound hope that you all remain healthy and safe during this incredibly stressful time for the world.

Forum member Scotti asked me if I would give a quick update on the status of the remaining titles in the Tone Poet program this year. I agreed, as long as it was a “one and done”.

Here’s what I can tell you at the present time:

April 24

· Lee Morgan – The Cooker (Blue Note, 1957)

· Duke Ellington – Money Jungle (United Artists, 1962)

· Lonnie Smith – All In My Mind (Blue Note, 2017)

The three above will all come out as scheduled.

June 26

· Stanley Turrentine – That’s Where It’s At (Blue Note, 1962)

· Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (Blue Note, 1963)

· Jackie McLean – It’s Time (Blue Note, 1964)

· Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1985)

The four above have all been mastered, stampers created and the artwork has all been prepared and approved.

July 24

· Horace Silver – Further Explorations (Blue Note, 1958)

· Jimmy Smith – Prayer Meetin’ (Blue Note, 1963)

August 28

· Herbie Hancock – My Point of View (Blue Note, 1963)

· Duke Pearson – The Phantom (Blue Note, 1968)

The above four have all been mastered, stampers have been created and I've received test pressings.

September 25

· Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)

· Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)

The above two have been mastered and stampers made. I have received test pressings of Roots & Herbs but not Oblique, which I will not until RTI reopens.

October 23

· Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)

· McCoy Tyner – Tender Moments (Blue Note, 1967)

November 20

· Donald Byrd – Byrd In Flight (Blue Note, 1960)

· Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)

The above four have all been mastered (just two weeks ago during a two-day mastering marathon!) and thankfully were all plated the next day, just like I demand, even though RTI was about to shut down.

December 11

· Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)

· John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)

The above two have not yet been mastered but hopefully, we’ll get to these very soon. Kevin and I will do our best to practice social distancing at the console!

Work continues on at Blue Note as we all work from home. And some very exciting new projects are being discussed as well!

Again, my personal best wishes for your collective good health!

Joe"

Joe Harley

Thanks I see that only the Ellington is available for pre-order at Amazon.
Yes I had that pre ordered at Amazon somewhile ago. It was originally scheduled for March, but now has a 24th April release date. It was delayed initially because the covers were accidentally destroyed at RTI and Stoughton had to produce more. I assume that's been done if JH says it will meet the 24th release date, but as the pressings are RTI and shipped from the states, presumably normally by air, its likely that date won't be met over here?

Thanks poco a poco for the update. Typically some of the titles I’ve been looking forward to from June onwards look like they will be held up at pressing whilst RTI is closed.

And here’s looking forward to more Joe Harley/Kevin Gray involved projects - like a continuation of BN80 alongside TP, and a revisit of the Rare Groove series would be nice.

Picked up Grant Green’s Nigeria today. Most pleasing.

Dithering on this one, RickyC6. Essential Green or just pleasing? Anyone?

Dithering on this one, RickyC6. Essential Green or just pleasing? Anyone?

Graham, I like this Grant Green a lot more than some of the more well known ones of his, I have quite a few. I think he is a bit more adventurous and takes a few more chances in his solos particularly on 'It Ain't Necessarily So'. Perhaps Blakey isn't so good a match as a drummer for him as Louis Hayes or Elvin Jones, but I think he does push him a bit and he and Sam Jones maintain a good 'groove' throughout. Sonny Clark is good on this as well. I'm surprised it took till 1980 to get a release, but then Grant had plenty of other releases in the early sixties and Alfred Lion may had thought less of it? The sound quality is really good with excellent detail and studio ambiance as well with great projection into the room on his solos. On a further careful listen though there is a bit of overload distortion on Blakey's cymbals.

Edit: Can you stream it to judge for yourself? Here is 'It Ain't ...' on YouTube:

Last edited:
What about Herbie Hancock's The Prisoner, I have that on preorder too, due 17th April?
Martin, Some people already have their copy of the Prisoner in the states. It has been released, but there are delivery delays there as well due to the current situation. Still showing as the 17th of April on Amazon, but as above shipping to the U.K and Europe may be a problem unless already done?
I actually passed on this one as it's later period Hancock that I'm not too keen on, but reports on it are making me reconsider.
Jim

Thanks again Jim/poco, I had listened to the track you mentioned yesterday but did’t get any further - I appreciate your feedback as I have some reservations about Grant Green. But I agree with you, his playing really sings on It Ain’t Necessarily so - probably worth the ticket price alone. I wish Talkin’ About with Larry Young was on the TP/BN80 schedule.

Thanks again Jim/poco, I had listened to the track you mentioned yesterday but did’t get any further - I appreciate your feedback as I have some reservations about Grant Green. But I agree with you, his playing really sings on It Ain’t Necessarily so - probably worth the ticket price alone. I wish Talkin’ About with Larry Young was on the TP/BN80 schedule.
Talkin' About may make BN80 at some point, but I have the Music Matters 2x45rpm of it ( :) )and as it's been issued by them it won't appear as a Tone Poet based on what Joe Harley has said previously.

advertisement

Back