advertisement

Tone Poet Blue Notes

Yes the video was supposed to be about his favourite records - he did get there eventually!

Mazzy - the host - got on my nerves, too much to say about nothing, didn’t give JH enough space. But worth listening to - JH always interesting. Some nice Soul Note/Black Saint recommendations from Joe, esp Geri Allen. It seems Soul Note/Black Saint could finally be having its day. Got loads of them here - this is where 80s jazz was happening.

Mazzy - the host - got on my nerves, too much to say about nothing, didn’t give JH enough space. But worth listening to - JH always interesting. Some nice Soul Note/Black Saint recommendations from Joe, esp Geri Allen. It seems Soul Note/Black Saint could finally be having its day. Got loads of them here - this is where 80s jazz was happening.

I do like Mazzy but he does make a lot of videos

As Jim said, Fusion/Thesis (1961 double LP on ECM) was one of his choices, not reissue. Interestingly a friend has the original Verve pressings and they sound quite different to the ECM set; more present, less ambient. I think Eicher must have added some ingredient (reverb) at mastering in keeping with the ECM aesthetic of the early 90s.

I’d agree Bley’s output is hard to criticise, I’m a big fan, but I do have an inclination toward his earlier 60s material such as Mr. Joy, Touching, Footloose, Turns etc. His solo LP Open to Love is also beautiful, in a robust kind of way.
It does sound remarkably ECM: I guess that’s Eicher pointing towards the label’s precedents and adding his own emphasis to make sure everyone gets it. No complaints though it’s lovely on both CD and vinyl.

I love Bley’s ECM work with Barre Phillips and Evan Parker, which I think you pointed me to yourself Graham, along with a lot of other great stuff over the last few years.

Harold Vick Steppin' Out and Bobby Hutcherson Stick Up! arrived yesterday. Been living with fairly miserable copies of Stick Up! for some time now, and this version eclipses them beyond expectations. It's an excellent album, no duds, great energy, monumental at times. Don't hesitate on this one.
Agreed. Great album. And a crazily wiiiiide sound stage.

Yes I agree if Massey hadn’t spent so much time trying to talk over Joe with his own anecdotes the whole interview would have a lot better and smoother. I think I only have one album with Geri Allen. I’ll have to have a listen to his recommendations.

Any comments on the Steppin' Out yet? I just bought the Hutcherson this time...

More of an acquired taste than full out recommendation, falls somewhere between post bop and soul jazz - neither one nor quite the other. Others disagree - over on the H site people are preferring it to Stick Up! - which is plain nuts IMO. Sound wise it reminds me of the way RVG recorded Art Blakey, less space than I prefer. Others love its full on sound.

I bought it because I like all the players, and I’ve had my eye on a decent copy since it was reissued by Heavenly Sweetness about 10 years ago. There is a character called Mr. Britt who posts over at Hoffman on the TP thread, his posts are worth reading. He’s obviously a well informed drummer. A recent post of his links up the various drummers on BN soul jazz BNs. Interesting reading.

Still awaiting my copies of this and Stick Up supposedly arriving today now. I bought it for the same reason as Graham. I can’t see me preferring it to Stick Up though. If you want to explore this line up in a cheaper, but high quality version, then the BN Classic John Patton ‘Ho Baby’ has exactly the same line up. I have been enjoying that one more than I thought I might as I not a real jazz organ fan.

Mr Britt is one the the few best posters on the SH Tone Poet Forum. Very knowledgable especially with regard to drummers and writes well with some good anecdotes about them.

Still awaiting my copies of this and Stick Up supposedly arriving today now. I bought it for the same reason as Graham. I can’t see me preferring it to Stick Up though. If you want to explore this line up in a cheaper, but high quality version, then the BN Classic John Patton ‘Ho Baby’ has exactly the same line up. I have been enjoying that one more than I thought I might as I not a real jazz organ fan.

I passed on the John Patten but got the Turrentine, which I'm really enjoying.

Ha! - vice versa here. Although Patton’s Oh Baby! is the same line up as Vick’s Steppin’ Out, stylistically I hear them as being very different, much preferring Oh Baby! Although there is room for both......

Sorry, I didn't watch the video so had just assumed that it was about Harley's favorite choices to be on TP.

Geri Allen (RIP) is also one of my favorite pianists especially when she played with Haden & Motian. Interestingly, one of Bley's best albums - Memoirs - is also with the same guys.

Patton's earlier albums are in the vein of 'soul' jazz. I much prefer his later BN work - Memphis to New York, Understanding and Accent on the Blues. They veer towards harder hitting funk and are much recommended. Sadly not often reissued.

Although I like a lot of Turrentine’s output and this has the bonus of Idris Mohammed (Leon Morris) on drums. I thought this was a safe pass for me. Two different sessions and although I of course like Dylan as well I thought I could definitely pass on this version of Blowin’ in the Wind. ;) But sure as Graham there is room for all.

The Turrentine is really good. If I hadn’t read the title on the sleeve I doubt I would have realised it was a Dylan song. It’s just a blues really.

Although I like a lot of Turrentine’s output and this has the bonus of Idris Mohammed (Leon Morris) on drums. I thought this was a safe pass for me. Two different sessions and although I of course like Dylan as well I thought I could definitely pass on this version of Blowin’ in the Wind. ;) But sure as Graham there is room for all.

The Blowing in the Wind is possibly the hightlight, funnily enough. I agree with Ricky, a very blusey album

Agree in general with Graham H on this one. It’s very nice but probably in the bottom half of the Tone Poet league table, if I could ever decide on such a thing.

Recent interview by Ken Micallef with Richard Capelesss (DG Mono) about record Collecting, Blue Note and RVG that covers a number of topics including Mono v Stereo, Original v Reissues, Compression & Distortion on RVG recordings and his own play back system (as with my with a number of collectors not that high end, but he has made specific choices that suit him).

Recent interview by Ken Micallef with Richard Capelesss (DG Mono) about record Collecting, Blue Note and RVG that covers a number of topics including Mono v Stereo, Original v Reissues, Compression & Distortion on RVG recordings and his own play back system (as with my with a number of collectors not that high end, but he has made specific choices that suit him).

Interesting that one of his favourite keepers is a BN75th reissue (Larry Young’s Unity). I find myself frequently in agreement with DGM, especially on the subject of groove wear on original 60s pressings, (but not on his choice of Unity, I thought the MM33 was far more dynamic).

Interesting that one of his favourite keepers is a BN75th reissue (Larry Young’s Unity). I find myself frequently in agreement with DGM, especially on the subject of groove wear on original 60s pressings, (but not on his choice of Unity, I thought the MM33 was far more dynamic).
Graham, my findings are the same with regard to 60’s original pressings, certainly the first half, in that it is difficult to find noise free pressings mainly due to Groove wear. Later ones, mainly ones that I bought new at time that I have kept in good condition are fine though. I have the the same Optimal BN75 Of Unity and also the Music Matters 2x45rpm as well. Although this was one of the better BN75’s it is not in the same league as the MM. I wouldn’t want to disparage his system (each to own and what they can afford), but I think dynamics would not be one of its strong points.

It is interesting that many collectors of original pressings are playing them on inexpensive systems though.
Frederik the Scandinavian collector he mentions, who only collects the very best pressings and covers, started quite late so must have paid a fortune for some of the originals he has. Some more expensive than his whole fairly modest system.

advertisement

Back