advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Look, I'll admit I may have a problem. There is a burndy in this lot, I have never owned naim kit that needed one!

ukqbgh.JPG

Cleaning and grading for Headway charity today.

Looking forward to a delivery of Joe Jackson’s new album later - we are booked to see his show later in the year.

Swapped the speaker wiring back to bi-amped/bi-wired after a period of other.

Seriously considering buying another secondhand c.d. player.
There is a Technics SL-P777 for sale near me… never heard one, but it looks interesting.

Fish pie and multi veg later.

Spent most of Saturday doing a level 3 first aid course. I seem to have managed to get to my sixties without any proper first aid training. I’ve put myself down for courses at work and never been able to do them due to other clashes, so it was well past time to take matters into my own hands. We covered CPR in some detail, also choking, and learnt about how to approach and deal with severe bleeding, drowning, burns. Delivered by a paramedic and a security person in the hospitality trade (big events) with some really interesting and useful insights into what happens in real world incidents. So glad to have finally done it. Mrs P-T is a nurse, so I’ve relied on her knowledge hitherto; now I feel more able to help her if she needs it.

I spent yesterday exhibiting a number of facets of old age.

Helpful old man -

A friend asked me if I could take her to the Big City Hospital for an outpatient’s appointment. No problem. Despite being overwhelmed by the sheer size of the place I managed to find the right department at the first attempt. I dropped my friend off and moved on to Morrisons, where I took advantage of their 4-for-3 offer and filled my bag with eight bottles of Duvel.

Short-sighted old man -

I couldn’t help thinking my bill was somewhat larger than it should have been. I looked at the receipt and discovered I had picked up a more expensive kind of Duvel than the one I wanted, which comes in a remarkably similar bottle…

Exasperated old man -

…at which point my phone rang. ‘There’s been a mistake. Someone has booked me in for the wrong test and it can’t be done today. I’m ready to be collected now.’ I explained I was in the middle of consumer hell and could be some time. Right. Take this slowly. First step - do they have any of the Duvel I want?

Helpless old man -

Back to the shelf. Aha! There are some lurking right at the back! I stood wondering how to get to them. A young woman, substantially shorter than me, saw my problem and offered her help - but of course she couldn’t reach them either. She began to pile boxes of Stella on top of each other. I tentatively put my foot on the empty bottom shelf to see if I could gain enough height. ‘DON’T DO THAT!’ she shouted. I jumped back in shock, let her climb her Stella tower and collect the four bottles on the shelf for me.

Confused old man -

Then - after queuing - customer services. I put my four new bottles with their receipt on one side and explained that they had nothing to do with the problem. I then unloaded the eight incorrect bottles. Only there weren’t. There were six, and two of the correct ones. Oh no, this is going to be so hard to explain…

‘You see, I bought eight of these by accident. But there are only six, two are the cheaper kind. But she charged me for eight of the expensive ones, so that’s what I need to be refunded for…’

‘No she hasn’t. Look, here on the receipt. Six of those and two of those.’ Idiot. I’d seen the expensive bottles on the receipt and in my bag and hadn’t checked any further.

Shrewd old man -

‘So you just need to be refunded for these eight’ she continued, tapping the items into her machine. I was about to remind her that two of the bottles had in fact been free under the 4-for-3 offer when my inner voice told me to keep my mouth shut. After all, no point in confusing the nice lady any more. I nodded enthusiastically and offered up my card.

Contented old man -

After collecting my friend and gratefully accepting her suggestion of coffee and cake somewhere (I chose The Neighbourhood in Leamington, a good excuse to pop upstairs to Seismic and order the new Charles Lloyd album) I got home and totted up my various receipts, purchases and refunds. As I suspected, five pounds to the good. Or, nearly three bottles of Duvel. I poured one of them and prepared to unleash my inner Fagen. I’ll crack that intro one day.

20240324132436-77eb18c8.jpg

Boring old man -

This morning I decided to post, in step-by-step detail, everything I did yesterday. What could possibly be more interesting for everyone else? Wait a minute, I forgot my afternoon walk. It’s the same one I go on most days, which is up the drive, across the lane, turn left…

Last edited:
Spent most of Saturday doing a level 3 first aid course. I seem to have managed to get to my sixties without any proper first aid training. I’ve put myself down for courses at work and never been able to do them due to other clashes, so it was well past time to take matters into my own hands. We covered CPR in some detail, also choking, and learnt about how to approach and deal with severe bleeding, drowning, burns. Delivered by a paramedic and a security person in the hospitality trade (big events) with some really interesting and useful insights into what happens in real world incidents. So glad to have finally done it. Mrs P-T is a nurse, so I’ve relied on her knowledge hitherto; now I feel more able to help her if she needs it.
fabulous , you can practise the Heimlich manoevre if anyone choking in the restaurant !! very useful .

disabled friend in hospital , they will need a POA soon so thinking do i commit to this again. its a huge committment really because if you want to move away it makes it hard . also it often means very hard decisions when disagree about care . last time last year it was a nightmare giving sleepless nights as half the friends said a person should be at home and half should be in a care home . fortunately as POA I had the authority to act in their best interests and get them into care . caused quite a few rows though which is hard .

Good for you. I booked into a first aid course a few years back because I didn't want to be in a position where someone needed help in an emergency and I didn't know what to do. I suspect I need a refresher.

Around the same time I was working somewhere when we were alerted to someone in the street outside whose wrists had been slashed with a broken bottle and was bleeding out and losing consciousness. The allocated first aider refused to go near them because there was so much blood but thankfully another member of staff took charge and I was able to help them until an ambulance arrived.

Really brought home to me that the classroom is one thing but sometimes it requires a bit of bravery to step into what can be an uncomfortable situation.

Nice walk today through the woods with the family and dog. Opened up to a lovely huge green field. Knackered out the dog with his ball (I thought!), then a leisurely walk back through woods to the car.

The dog found mud. Lots of it. He was truly filthy dirty, but that's a spaniel trait I suppose. Now home and dog showered.

Lamb roast cooking. Smells awesome. Small glass of nice Sauvingnon in hand as I type.

I shall spin up some records shortly, whilst the Mrs finishes off the roast (she's a chef so I get gently edged out of the way as I have inferior cooking skills).

A lovely relaxing Sunday.

I forgot to say. The supposedly knackered dog is currently sprinting round the house like he's Usain Bolt!!!

yes came across a chap in the street some years back having a cardiac arrest . started cpr on him and did the compressions but broke his ribs which is quite common . anyway ambulance eventually came and took him away . some weeks later i spotted him walking somewhere and avoided his gaze in case he sued me for the ribs !! shows cpr can work though

mixed the sound today which went well

Enjoyed watching the long video of the audio delux film on youtube today . awesome amount of effort into putting all that kit in rooms .

Busier than a usual Sunday. First thing, made a new ramp to enable the tortoise to get in and out of the vivarium as she wishes. The front panel is around 5" high, and I built a false floor for it, so the floor is level with the front bottom panel. The old ramp was a bit Heath Robinson, and prone to occasional collapse.
Did a quick shop for Chicken parmigiana bits for tonight.
Then mowed the lawns (first time this year), and trimmed my bush at the front (!).
Now having a chill and lunch (bag of Doritos, 2 Penguins and a coffee), before I need to iron the boys school uniform, then construct the chicken parmigiana.

i`m impressed , cant remember the last time i did the ironing !!!! 😄 i have a lady come in to do it , not sure how much longer as her son married into the family of one of the worlds most well known bands !!

advertisement

Back