advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Get well soon, my cough started like this, only had a few hours feeling rough.

thank you - started on Saturday, I think Joey who works in our local gave it to me on Thursday last week. He was suffering with exactly the same - Louise even went over the road to buy him some Strepsils to get him through his shift.

sore throat (lost voice, which some might say is a good thing), blocked sinuses, phlegm and low level ear ache.......

trying to work out whether it is worth a day trip to Derry (from Belfast) when we are in Belfast in a few weeks.
I like Derry, very interesting place and friendly locals.

Mashed it all then fried it in lard covered in hundred n thousands and ate it. Think the portion weighed over a stone. Dont feel to clever at the minute.

Mashed it all then fried it in lard covered in hundred n thousands and ate it. Think the portion weighed over a stone. Dont feel to clever at the minute.

empty your bag and relieve the pressure. Then you can have that apple and kidney pie with custard

Visited a lovely fishing village called Cadaques where Salvador dali lived .wonderful to see orange laden tree and plenty of cacti .quite expensive houses some costing 5m

Very pleasant weather with plenty of sun .season only just started so some shops still closed for winter .quite a shock to pop into spar but closed from 2pm till 4.30 for siesta

in the office for a f2f business planning event - throat still sore and limited voice. Taking my deputy to the pub later.

Went to look at 3 potential jobs in London this morning, now sat in my new home office, much better than the dining room table, which I've been using for 2 years. Swimming tonight.

Cheers BB

Another day off for daddy day care, but the boy is mostly at school anyway, doing extra sessions for the upcoming GCSE's. Then the new computer arrived. The old one was getting so slow, probably all the junk on it, and not Win 11 compatible, so with a bit of surplus in the current account, went for one of these:

Was on offer at £649 when I ordered. Didn't think it was worth £100 more for the i7 for the marginal difference for normal everyday use, so hopefully the i5 will do for 10 years or so, like the old one managed.

With the SSD, boots up in 10 secs (ish), compared to many, many minutes for the old Lenovo i3 all in one.

Already done 2 back ups from the old machine, but will just keep most of it on the backup drives, and just pull off the regularly used files to avoid clogging it up and slowing it down. Tomorrow will be wiping the drive on the old machine ready to see if I can offload it.... looking like it's not worth much at all though.

Another day off for daddy day care, but the boy is mostly at school anyway, doing extra sessions for the upcoming GCSE's. Then the new computer arrived. The old one was getting so slow, probably all the junk on it, and not Win 11 compatible, so with a bit of surplus in the current account, went for one of these:

Was on offer at £649 when I ordered. Didn't think it was worth £100 more for the i7 for the marginal difference for normal everyday use, so hopefully the i5 will do for 10 years or so, like the old one managed.

With the SSD, boots up in 10 secs (ish), compared to many, many minutes for the old Lenovo i3 all in one.

Already done 2 back ups from the old machine, but will just keep most of it on the backup drives, and just pull off the regularly used files to avoid clogging it up and slowing it down. Tomorrow will be wiping the drive on the old machine ready to see if I can offload it.... looking like it's not worth much at all though.

If the old one had a good graphics card with HDMI it could be useful as a tv tuner, put in an SSD for the OS.

Mine does HDTV and is a good tuner for BFI, YouTube, ITVx etc into an old smart TV.

If the old one had a good graphics card with HDMI it could be useful as a tv tuner, put in an SSD for the OS.

Mine does HDTV and is a good tuner for BFI, YouTube, ITVx etc into an old smart TV.
Thanks, but we don't really need another telly, got 4, one of which never gets used. Will just offload it for whatever I can, does not really owe us anything.

Woke up again, ragged, with the first glimmer of dawn. Worried about the house sale, the wretched solicitors dragging it out so long that I wonder if we will complete before the hurricane hits. Two terrible weekends at the shop portend of what's coming, and I dwell on my part in that. It feels calamitous. I try tea to beckon a couple more hours sleep, but it doesn't work, so I dress and drive up onto the Weald with the dog.

At the water tower there is already a grain lorry loading up from the store, though it's only just after six. The farmer is undoubtedly counting his blessings at having held some back, prices through the roof due to the bloody war. The light is beautiful, mountains of white cloud. The barley is suddenly turning, last weekend it glowed, now it is already decadent. Wild oats are growing tall through it at the edges. The skylarks are up again, and on full song. I stop and record them on my phone, for they'll be done for this year soon. The track is sticky from yesterday's rain, and the cloud-defused sun is already hot on my back, so I stop, unravel camera paraphernalia, and take my jumper off, but when I go into the forest it is dark, cool and damp, and it smells of peat and leaf mould. Strands of fresh, green bramble have grown across the path only in the last couple of days, Owen's 'clutching and clinging like sorrowing arms'. I try to make sense of the trees for the camera, try to find semblances of order in the chaos, but I can't do it. How do Amar and Mark LJ and the others decipher it, I wonder, again, to myself? The soft light on the fields at the edge draws me back, but the flat-bottomed clouds don't work for the camera when I get there.

I choose the longer route back, taking the path through the meadow, soft now with hayseed, and over the oddly named Marconi Occupation Bridge across the railway, down past the ruins of the old Redoubt. At the top of the track down to the farm I can just pick out my house, almost hidden by the poplars and the chestnut tree, perhaps 3 miles away. I am looking back at myself from my own horizon, soon to be gone, at least to me. The sky is luminescent, glowing. At the foot of the hill I lean on the gate and watch the white cattle for a while, the calves sheltering from the morning sun under the two trees. There's someone feeding horses as I walk through the poor, tragic farm buildings, once a model for the Scottish arrivals of the 1890s to emulate, now falling into pitiful ruin. Primrose McConnell wrote his original notebook for them here, to guide them through the peculiarities of the heavy Essex clay. There's an enormous Limousin bull in one of the elegant brick-built yards, the outgrown pot-bellied pig in the next, and the long-horned store cattle awaiting their fate in the open-fronted sheds beyond, breathing cow-breath and snorting at the dog. One of them accepts a rub on the hard ridge behind his horns, and tries to lick the salt from my skin with his rough, sticky tongue. The garden at Dial House is full of colour, the potager, as always, neat and well-stocked, a sign on a box hanging by the gate with hand-painted instructions for parcels to be left - no innoculations here - and no sign of the incumbents. I photograph one of Paul's roughly-carved figures, dear, strange, talented Paul who made people care, and who didn't wake up one morning a decade ago.

My footsteps ring back sharp from the the brick lining of the tunnel beneath the railway, then up the long track to the water tower. I can smell cattle on the other side of the hedge, and I'm dive-bombed by a squadron of 'stuka' flies until I'm further up the hill.

The grain bulker's gone now, the farmers are scooping the rest of the golden grain to the back of the store with a vast articulated mechanical shovel. Their Landrover has the letters MOO incorporated into the number plate.

So, onto the day.
This was beautifully written a great start to a book........

Just suddenly woke up after dreaming buying german listz sausage will make me a powerful leader and people will look up to me . I have no idea that listz sausage is even a thing or exists. Watch this space.

Had to complain at the Swimming Baths tonight. As I can only do breast stroke I stay in the slow lane (there’s intermediate and fast too, each lane big enough for you to swim one side and back the other). For the second time in a week a rather rotund lady has been in my lane, she mixes breast strike and a fast crawl, she’s passing me every other lap and I’m one of the quickest in the slow lane. She swims down the middle of the pool, forcing everyone else to pull their arms in. The lifeguard watches on right next to all this and does nothing, he’s about 14 and I doubt he’d notice if the water emptied from the pool. On top of this there’s 2 women who swim slowly chatting to each other, annoying enough but when fast lady leaves the pool they start swimming abreast of each other. I moved into the intermediate lane at this, I just about held my own for the 10 minutes I was in there. I read their pool etiquette notice when I got out, which does include both these things. Speaking to the Duty Manager afterwards it was obvious he didn’t want to get involved until I mentioned that it would cause a scene if fast lady surprised me and I didn’t pull my arms in, in time. He said he’d put word out to monitor the situation. I told him I’d be telling people the error of their ways if it happens again. Sorry for the long post.

Cheers BB

• Hug new Granddaughter. Marvel at her tiny hand grasping my thumb. Feel a rush of love for the tiny bundle in my arms as she sleeps on my chest, hand her back when she starts squawking :D
  • Sausage casserole promises, and robust discussion re chips vs. baked taters
  • 30 albums cleaned yesterday - not sure how many I will get through today, probably clean another 15 or so
  • Planning Beer & Music with my oldest friend at the weekend, need to check stock levels as I usually only have some ale when he turns up. Mental note to get some crisps in.
that is my day so far.

it is Thursday!

advertisement

Back