advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Up betimes at 07:00 hrs, cleaned teeth then raked out discolored, failing grouting and caulking from around the bottom of shower enclosure.

Finished raking out and regrouting by lunchtime, then walked into town to pick up silicone caulking ready to finish the job tomorrow.

Now feeling stiff and knackered from bending and working in the confined space of the shower and 10k walk to town and back.

Think I've earned a big Suntory Toki later this evening :).

Will finish the caulking tomorrow.

Horrible job !! What sort if silicon do you use for caulking ?
My local independent DIY place has so many makes I'm spoiled for choice and spent ages dithering : should I just buy the cheapest - about £2.50; or most expensive - about £6.50. I eventually spotted one called "151" for £4.50 so bought that. I'd never heard of it before, but then I'd not heard of the others either. The thing is I'm not a pro builder and I use it so rarely that whenever I buy the stuff the names have all changed and I don't recognise any of it. That said, I've never had any failures and I'm convinced it's all the same stuff, just in different tubes at different prices. What's your take on it?

Yes 151 is a good budget brand but i like unibond bathroom silicon or forever white silicon which is great to apply and antimould which is the key . Thing is normally caulk is acrylic and only used for decorating and stuff as not normally used for bathrooms .but i stand to be corrected if anyone uses it.

I did try an acrylic based bathroom sealer some years ago but didnt last long

Yes 151 is a good budget brand but i like unibond bathroom silicon or forever white silicon which is great to apply and antimould which is the key . Thing is normally caulk is acrylic and only used for decorating and stuff as not normally used for bathrooms .but i stand to be corrected if anyone uses it.

I did try an acrylic based bathroom sealer some years ago but didnt last long
The 151 stuff I used is silicon not acrylic.

I've never use acrylic caulking for sealing sanitary or kitchen ware, only for general decorating.

I tend tend to think of caulking as embracing both silicon and acrylic.

Lovely drive through Sierra Nevada mountains to Granada to see Alhambra.
As a young family, as part of a decent break to utterly-nowhere, nothing-to-do on the Med coast about due south of Granada: we did exactly that 20yrs ago when Jess was small.

Very, very fondly remembered by all as maybe the best holiday evah.
It is a splendid part of the world.

The Wife has gone to Birmingham to watch the Black Sabbath ballet.

https://www.brb.org.uk/whats-on

Apparently we are having a Chinese takeaway (again) this evening. Wife was impressed the last time (didn’t have tummy ache due to too much msg) so there it is.

Today I have two self-inflicted jobs to (start) complete.
Yesterday I cleaned a large pile of Beatles Singles, today I am going to try and identify which copies are which issue. Due to the many reissues of various Beatles hits, I know from experience that this will be a ballsache.

Second, more fanciful task is to remove a 2m Black from a tone arm, not so bad. Then to attach said cartridge correctly to a headshell yet to be selected - potential ballsup.

I have all day to keep changing my mind about my chinese takeaway choices.

Started with coffee and listening to some records. A good start.

Going to view a house Mrs BB likes the look of. Going to a quiz tonight with friends. Hopefully get to listen to Boro v WBA this afternoon.

Cheers BB

found a roaster that roasts light - good for pourover.

Now in the three blind mice taproom

20230225-123024.jpg

Second, more fanciful task is to remove a 2m Black from a tone arm, not so bad. Then to attach said cartridge correctly to a headshell yet to be selected - potential ballsup.

Be very careful pulling the tags off the pins, as I have heard instances of the pins coming away on some 2M's.

My local independent DIY place has so many makes I'm spoiled for choice and spent ages dithering : should I just buy the cheapest - about £2.50; or most expensive - about £6.50. I eventually spotted one called "151" for £4.50 so bought that. I'd never heard of it before, but then I'd not heard of the others either. The thing is I'm not a pro builder and I use it so rarely that whenever I buy the stuff the names have all changed and I don't recognise any of it. That said, I've never had any failures and I'm convinced it's all the same stuff, just in different tubes at different prices. What's your take on it?
I don’t think they are all the same - far from it. I used a cheap DIY store brand round the sink in the kitchen and it soon failed (ie leaked into the figment below). When I came to rebuild the shower enclosure about 15 years ago (it too had leaked) a plumber friend recommended Dow Corning bathroom sealant, 761 IIRC. That is still perfect after 15 years.
It gets black mould stains after a few months, my wife applies neat bleach and it’s gleaming white again. I was a bit dubious about this but after doing it for years the sealant is still flexible and doing its job. It’s more expensive, but not a a lot of money to do it properly. I would guess it’s about a tenner now.
I have no connection with Dow Corning, and indeed was a bit hostile when it was suggested to me - they made napalm for the Vietnam war.

Packed off the boy this morning for a trip to the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds with Air Cadets.

While doing some random Googling today (after watching Law and Order: SVU last night), was amazed to discover that Mariska Hargitay is the daughter of Jayne Mansfield! Things you never knew....

advertisement

Back