advertisement

Today I have mainly been v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats interesting . my bro took my dad round the london area [ near millwall i think] before they demolished the slums he lived in. he worked in and around the docks as a boy .

It isn't at all unconnected. The London Docks were able to be demolished thanks to the London Docklands Development Corporation (LDDC), which was set up by the Thatcher government as a means of regenerating the East and South London riversides, which had become industrial wastelands following containerisation and the movement further out of port facilities. The result was Canary Wharf, the 'yuppification' of the riverside, and the enrichment of the developers, which continues. Council tenants were offered first dibs at discounted prices, but I'm not at all sure that they benefited in the long term, and the aesthetic, and the rich heritage beneath it, certainly didn't.

Steve,

That would be the last thing on my mind. I'm utterly absorbed when I'm watching the Trek.

Joe

Joe, if you don’t already own this shirt…we’ll, you should!

E848-A3-B0-9-F8-D-4494-A798-11-DAB8-A29-F49.jpg

I have a couple of Trek T-shirts, but not that one. Yesterday I wore my Daystrom Institute T-shirt.

You should have seen the look on Gisele Bündchen's face! She was green with envy.

Joe

I have a couple of Trek T-shirts, but not that one. Yesterday I wore my Daystrom Institute T-shirt.

You should have seen the look on Gisele Bündchen's face! She was green with envy.

Joe

Perhaps if all academics spoke like Dr Daystrom, we'd start listening to experts again.

work, still firefighting workload issues. Offering someone a job which they accepted...then this afternoon off to sign on the dotted line :D

Drove up to Whitby for fish and chips. Pea-souper north of Pickering and bleak over the North Sea but good to get out.

Trenchers or Magpie? Come to think of it Trenchers used to close in the winter - think the owners went off to the Caribbean while the restaurant was refitted or deep cleaned. Mind you it was a few years ago I was last up there.

Trenchers or Magpie?

Hadley’s is our chippy of choice in Whitby. Been a couple of times to the Magpie for f&c and only thought it OK. I suspect their forte leans more towards salads, crustacea etc but when it’s 2° outside I’m looking for battered cod, chips and Yorkshire caviar.

Looking forward to an evening with my best friend who I haven’t seen for over a month ish.

Sorted a few things to listen to, beers chilled and a big bag of crisps ready.

We will probably discuss his new art work/project, he has been obsessed with bridges for a while, but now has a liking for juxtapositions - ‘burnt out cars in a woodland setting’ sort of thing.

We will be playing loud, The Wife will be avoiding the whole situation and watching tripe on television.

If he makes it to midnight without falling asleep, or vomiting, that will be a win.

If I puke, that will be a surprise.

Address to a Haggis
Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o need,
While thro your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An cut you up wi ready slight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like onie ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin, rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an strive:
Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
The auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
'Bethankit' hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout,
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi perfect scunner,
Looks down wi sneering, scornfu view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as a wither'd rash,
His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit;
Thro bloody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll make it whissle;
An legs an arms, an heads will sned,
Like taps o thrissle.

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies:
But, if ye wish her gratefu prayer,
Gie her a Haggis

@Bob McC Thanks for your post Enjoyed reading the Address tae the Haggis. While the North East Doric is a bit different from the language used by Burns it is easy for me to read it and enjoy. Must read some more Burns some time.

PS

By the way I enjoyed my Haggis neeps and tatties tonight.

It’s Burns night. haggis, neeps, tatties and a whisky cream sauce for dinner and lots of a rather nice Tamnavulin sherry cask.

This was my youngest going to school this morning. :D:D:D

07-FAEE9-F-F5-A8-44-EC-814-E-72768-C344218.jpg

I did manage (just) to get into my kilt for Heather's funeral. I bought the kilt for our wedding back in 1987. I really need to lose a little of my spare tyre to make the kilt more comfortable, a properly made kilt makes all the difference. I do enjoy wearing it, and it makes me feel good. I always fancied a kilt and our wedding was the perfect excuse.

On a freezing building site all day in Liverpool, now in a crappy hotel sharing a room with a heavy snoorer, can't wait to get home :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back