advertisement

Today I have mainly been v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
making lunch of from the cupboard (and since Ocado decided to deliver 2kg of carrots instead of the one we orderdd) , Carrot, Coconut Milk and Peanut Thai flavoured soup (Galangal, Lime leaf, chilli, fish sauce, garlic…tamarind paste). Quick 30 mins

... lighting a bonfire in the garden, waiting for EWA LS-80s to turn up (they just have :)) and wondering where we're going to live.

We've been here for 351/2 years, but the neighbour is in hospital, probably terminally. Access to our house is through his garden (it's an odd arrangement that goes back to his family's history). It's all legally sorted, but any new neighbour could make life awkward. We're very rural, too, with no relaible bus service. We have one at the moment, but with covid recovery funds to improve rural public transport, it's vulnerable. Last time the (Labour) goverment improved rural bus services, we lost our bus so that the "improved" service could improve things elsewhere ! :) At 65, I don't know how long the driving licence will last, and my wife hasn't got one anyway.

We've kept the neighbour going since his wife died 14 years ago, especially through the last three years and his various illnesses and the lockdown. Putting eardrops in twice a day for a fortnight, and waiting the 10 minutes per ear for them to soften the wax as a prelude to his going to a clinic to have it removed, anyone ? At least the long-lost/hiding son has put in an appearance, and is planning to come down next week-end, presumably to visit his dad, but mainly to start emptying the house. :rolleyes:

So what to do ? I'm from Leeds, but left in 1979 and family is all gone now. My wife is from Reading, but likewise family gone now. We don't have enough money in the bank to contemplate our hoped-for scheme: France.

A daughter in Hackney (not enough money); a son in Barcelona (see above); a son with granddaughter in Dublin. Tempted by Ireland, but it's quite expensive and wet. Wondering about Dumfries and Galloway, though that's probably quite wet, too. It wouldn't be too far to the ferry to Belfast, and then a shortish drive or train. We might go have a look next week.

It'll be quite a wrench to move from here, and will we find a house with a room suitable for the ESL63s ? We're quite picky: not overlooked, not too isolated now at our age and cheapish.

Interesting times.

so good you have been able to look after this neighbour . wonderful . sad he is on his last legs . its amazing how family come out of the woodwork when money and housing is mentioned

zoom call with architect to plan yet another iteration of kitchen project and reorder at church

loaded a load of stuff onto the mobile recycling unit that has come nearby . sadly they didnt tell enough residents so poorly used

A surreal sort of day for me here on the Sussex coast. Walked the dogs this morning with one of the women I sometimes meet in our local wood. We then had lunch together back at my place and I weighed her old gold teeth on my new scales. They're worth about £300 at today's prices. She is well pleased and will sell them next and take me out to lunch on the proceeds. A bit of a win win really.:)

A surreal sort of day for me here on the Sussex coast. Walked the dogs this morning with one of the women I sometimes meet in our local wood. We then had lunch together back at my place and I weighed her old gold teeth on my new scales. They're worth about £300 at today's prices. She is well pleased and will sell them next and take me out to lunch on the proceeds. A bit of a win win really.:)

did you bury her under the patio? Good and deep to avoid stains or in the freezer?

Blimey, what on earth did you give her for lunch? Military grade pork scratchings?
No, we had smoked salmon, green salad, stuffed vine leaves, cornichons, brown bread, and a bottle of supermarket Pinot Gris. She's had new ceramic crowns fitted.

Sonnet 30: When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
BY WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past,
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
And with old woes new wail my dear time's waste:
Then can I drown an eye, unus'd to flow,
For precious friends hid in death's dateless night,
And weep afresh love's long since cancell'd woe,
And moan th' expense of many a vanish'd sight;
Then can I grieve at grievances foregone,
And heavily from woe to woe tell o'er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,
Which I new pay as if not paid before.
But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restor'd, and sorrows end.

Absolutely nails it. Thank you.

go to pub for 1 whilst waiting for bus…keeping an eye on the Arriva app. Nip out to the bus stop, ping, bus is cancelled. Check app, next one on the timetable is in 30 mins, but is 15 late. Call a taxi, oh that’ll be 25 minutes. Back to pub, buy a pint…ping your taxi has arrived…fVckers…did make him wait whilst I guzzled it back

That whole day sounds more interesting than a year of mine.

Practising ‘America’, one of the pieces I need to learn if I’m going to keep my rash promise of becoming (possibly) one of the oldest people to take Grade 3 sax next year. I’m trying not to channel my inner Emerson by jumping over the instrument and playing it from the wrong side (although that might be an improvement) - but it has come mighty close to having daggers stuck in it once or twice.

I drove up to London (Camden) to collect a printer. The traffic was awful, half of the time you were lucky to hit the newly ubiquitous 20mph speed limit. Speed cameras everywhere.

I've not driven the Seven Sisters way in since 2016. Vast, overbearing residential blocks going up everywhere, the rest is just the same scruffy, grubby looking fast food and tatty newsagents, hairdressers, plastic shop signs, very depressing, really hasn't changed that much since the 1980s. Pleased to get back out again. Every time I go to London I feel that it has lost its soul. Its quirky secrets have all been exposed to daylight, or swept away.

I think I liked the then grit and grime, not the now grit and grime. You could still feel old London, but for me at least, that's gone.

There was plenty of grit and grime around in the 70s and 80s when I lived there. The trains were particularly grimy because they were never cleaned and because there were still smoking carriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back