advertisement

Today I have mainly been v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today we went down to 'The Metropolis' by train. We always go away for the boys birthday, and as he was banned from Malta on account of having no jabs at 12, we are doing some London sightseeing. 1st class on the train was the first surprise for him. He is 13 on Sunday, so his choice for the day was up The Shard, so that is booked.
Tomorrow is other stuff included in The London Pass - Tower of London, London Bridge Experience, Tower Bridge and what else we can squeeze in.
We're staying at the Hilton London Tower Bridge, nice room & location.
No galleries?
There are some fantastic art exhibitions currently.

I used to holiday in Scarborough when I was a kid. North Bay, in some complex with chalets etc. We went a few times.
I absolutely hate Scarborough.

My Mam & Dad love it, and visit frequently. They stay in a hotel with an excellent view out to sea, which I think is on the north end of South Bay.

Were you headed up, down or West from there? I am sure I remember the roads were slow back then from Nottingham way.

Sure I heard on the traffic report earlier that there was a 36 mile tailback near Manchester (?)

Bet it’s raining there as well.
I was born in Scarborough & my parents still live there. I must confess I have no great love of the place, I’ve become too used to living in a city, seemingly impossible to get a decent cup of coffee in the town.

The pubs are pretty terrible also, very, very uniform with the same mix of mainstream fizzy lager & fruit ciders.

There is a group of cyclists there who I have got to know, always have a good crack with them but even that went tits up due to a mix up over the meet time.

I do generally find seaside towns rather depressing but really enjoyed a visit to Tynemouth last week.

I’ve lived in Sheffield for the last 30 years & love the place, utterly fantastic if you are into the great outdoors; loads of green space & great cycling into the Peaks. I am always happy to come home.

Scarborough has to be one of the worst coastal resorts in England.

I have no idea. It was 40+ years ago when I last went.

I am sure that many like it, like my parents do. No doubt you are a bit more Ingoldmells Bob.
(can’t get him off the slots and Bingo ;))

I was born in Scarborough & my parents still live there. I must confess I have no great love of the place, I’ve become too used to living in a city, seemingly impossible to get a decent cup of coffee in the town.

The pubs are pretty terrible also, very, very uniform with the same mix of mainstream fizzy lager & fruit ciders.

There is a group of cyclists there who I have got to know, always have a good crack with them but even that went tits up due to a mix up over the meet time.

I do generally find seaside towns rather depressing but really enjoyed a visit to Tynemouth last week.

I’ve lived in Sheffield for the last 30 years & love the place, utterly fantastic if you are into the great outdoors; loads of green space & great cycling into the Peaks. I am always happy to come home.

I have no issue with the place, there was loads to do when we went there. I think there was a concrete skatepark or bowl and I remember rollerskating at an indoor place on the Front in South Bay. Had a ramped wall I think? Roller Disco with some apparatus. Must have been about 1981. ish edit - maybe 79-80?

I also had a girlfriend who was from Scarborough and grew up there. we lived together for a few years.
(name withheld as you may know her ;))

I have no issue with the place, there was loads to do when we went there. I think there was a concrete skatepark or bowl and I remember rollerskating at an indoor place on the Front in South Bay. Had a ramped wall I think? Roller Disco with some apparatus. Must have been about 1981. ish edit - maybe 79-80?

I also had a girlfriend who was from Scarborough and grew up there. we lived together for a few years.
(name withheld as you may know her ;))
Ha, I went to the same roller disco, I think it was called ‘Rollers’. It had two rooms, one flat & a larger room with a selection of ramps. The skate park was at ‘the mere’, there is now quite a decent one on the seafront facing the marine drive.

I think the roller rink would have been early 80s?

Just had a heart-warming time with The Daughter talking about Nursing in a way that only Nurses can.
The Daughter works on a Covid Heavy unit. Things do not sound good. Young patients, very ill.
Staff burning out. Incident Forms every day. Beds for very ill patients are getting hard to find.
Very scary, very frontline.
The Daughter is still a ‘new’ Nurse and is receiving mental health support, she hasn’t been qualified for a year yet. Disturbing news. I am very glad that she has sought help, it sounds like hell. (from a Nurse who’s career was built on caring for dying people)

The Daughter is having a social evening with her work colleagues soon, her first one.
I told her about some of the Nurse evenings out that I had been to. ;)
‘Work hard, play hard,’ is too weak a cliché. All of that is not for here.

If I was ill, I would want my The Daughter to look after me. It will happen.

We agreed that tomorrow we might watch ‘Blazing Saddles’ together. Or something violent.

Hilton London Tower Bridge

Good location to stay, we've stayed there are few times. There are a few nice restaurants on Shad Thames with great views of Tower Bridge. Le Pont (French), Chop House and an Italian. Le Pont is our fav, I used to know the cocktail team quite well.

we are off to London for the night. Got a lunch and dinner booked, staying in Kings X.

The 'cocktail team'. I think I've yet to encounter one of those.

The Tower Bridge Hotel is amongst the most unsightly of London's many carbuncles, the more so given its prominent and historic setting. Built on the site of Thomas Telford designed warehouses destroyed in the Blitz.

Dynamite it, I say.

Good location to stay, we've stayed there are few times. There are a few nice restaurants on Shad Thames with great views of Tower Bridge. Le Pont (French), Chop House and an Italian. Le Pont is our fav, I used to know the cocktail team quite well.

we are off to London for the night. Got a lunch and dinner booked, staying in Kings X.

Don’t forget St Katherine Docks and Borough Market!

Just had a heart-warming time with The Daughter talking about Nursing in a way that only Nurses can.
The Daughter works on a Covid Heavy unit. Things do not sound good. Young patients, very ill.
Staff burning out. Incident Forms every day. Beds for very ill patients are getting hard to find.
Very scary, very frontline.
The Daughter is still a ‘new’ Nurse and is receiving mental health support, she hasn’t been qualified for a year yet. Disturbing news. I am very glad that she has sought help, it sounds like hell. (from a Nurse who’s career was built on caring for dying people)

The Daughter is having a social evening with her work colleagues soon, her first one.
I told her about some of the Nurse evenings out that I had been to. ;)
‘Work hard, play hard,’ is too weak a cliché. All of that is not for here.

If I was ill, I would want my The Daughter to look after me. It will happen.

We agreed that tomorrow we might watch ‘Blazing Saddles’ together. Or something violent.

Agree with nursing comments , i was with a student nurse this week at the end of her tether on a ward , just hanging in their becuase she has to get her `book` signed . very short staffed . not too far away 5 staff just resigned from the nhs , they have had enough . so sad when i hear this . i do my best to support them in every way i can and i can only hope they manage to complete their training which nowadays costs money to become a nurse

Agree with nursing comments , i was with a student nurse this week at the end of her tether on a ward , just hanging in their becuase she has to get her `book` signed . very short staffed . not too far away 5 staff just resigned from the nhs , they have had enough . so sad when i hear this . i do my best to support them in every way i can and i can only hope they manage to complete their training which nowadays costs money to become a nurse

The Daughter described a situation in a hospital corridor were she met another Nurse coming the other way. They both knew each other, but only from secondary school.
The Nurse asked my Daughter where she worked - My Daughter replied, and the other Nurse took 2 big steps backwards. The ward/unit my Daughter works on has a reputation for being Corona C-19 Central.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the television cameras etc. return to the unit, it sounds like it is ready to pop.
I was surprised that there is a lack of Health Care Assistants on my Daughters unit. (apologies if that is the incorrect term) Then my Daughter pointed out there are plenty of H.C.A’s but not many want to work on Covid-Central unit. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back