advertisement

To leave on or not to leave on!!!

Having an Exposure 15, 19, 13 and 18 and Linn Lingo powered on 24/7 appears to use a total of 40 watts. That's less than $50 a year in energy cost. I'm going on 17 years with no problems and the hi-fi sounding great when I want to listen to it.

My Albarry amps are designed to be left switched on permanently and only use 8 Watts when in "standby mode", but if yours consume more power or you're not sure, then I would say switch off after use, warm up to a listenable level is usually 20-30 minutes tbf.

cheers Al

Charging and discharging is what causes internal heating. Hotter = shorter life.

Thanks, S-Man. Wasn't sure about your further advice (bit technical for me) but the above surely makes a case, AT LEAST FOR THE CAPS, of keeping them charged. I.e. that the Class B s/s amplification is kept powered.

Thanks, S-Man. Wasn't sure about your further advice (bit technical for me) but the above surely makes a case, AT LEAST FOR THE CAPS, of keeping them charged. I.e. that the Class B s/s amplification is kept powered.

The switch on / off surge current will cause some heating but it is a once a day or so event so of negligible effect. The main cause of electrolytic capacitor deterioration is ripple current heating which occurs the whole time the unit is powered up, though not to a massive extent with a class AB amp where the quiescent current draw is quite low.
It really all depends on the amount of times and time that you use the kit compared with the time it could be switched off, The effect of warm up / cool down on the soldered joints should not be overlooked as well.

Quote from Exposure:

Typically, full performance conditions are reached within 24 hours. We, therefore recommend leaving the preamplifier’s power supply switched on continuously.
There are no associated penalties with regard to reliability or longevity (indeed, electronic components generally have longer lives when powered up continuously), and this practice ensures optimum musical performance whenever you wish to enjoy music on your system.

This is copied from one of the current Exposure setup manuals/posters...

"Please note that your Exposure 3010S2D Integrated Amplifier may take up to 48 hours to “run-in” before reaching its optimal performance. Each subsequent "run-in” will then take about 20 minutes."

AFAIK the only issue with amps is operating temperature so the 20 minute figure makes sense.

When it comes to DACs, I read some measurements showing the clock can take a lot longer to stabilise, I don't know why this is. That's why I have the DAC on from beginning to end of day (if there's a chance I'll use it).

This is copied from one of the current Exposure setup manuals/posters...

"Please note that your Exposure 3010S2D Integrated Amplifier may take up to 48 hours to “run-in” before reaching its optimal performance. Each subsequent "run-in” will then take about 20 minutes."

The new ones are crap, that's the reason because it doesn't matter if you switch them off.:p
Farlowe forever.:D

AFAIK the only issue with amps is operating temperature so the 20 minute figure makes sense.

When it comes to DACs, I read some measurements showing the clock can take a lot longer to stabilise, I don't know why this is. That's why I have the DAC on from beginning to end of day (if there's a chance I'll use it).

Here's Audioquest take on DAC's time on vs jitter:

http://www.audioquest.com/resource_tools/downloads/whitepapers/Phase-Noise-Jitter-Report-0317-14.pdf

Arkless Repairs has always seemed pretty consistent on the issue: switch amps off. E.g.
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2038590&postcount=11

Arkless's comment that no amplifier (or pre-amplifier?) was designed to be left on is likely to be right; not least because this aspect would be unlikely to figure highly in a circuit design.

However, as the jury is apparently still out as regards long term powering up, his use of the word 'misguided' can only reflect his own opinion.

Until someone fully acquainted with the science of electronics and able to categorically state the pros and cons of this old chestnut AND in a language accessible to lay audiophiles, there will continue to be controversy.

I too think audiophile ethernet cables are hokum Keith. But the phase noise measurement we have to assume isn't fabricated - maybe I should switch on the DAC the day before! Thanks Radamel.

Digital stuff, Leave them on. I got bitten by the so called "Experts" advice that it takes only seconds for CD players to be at their best.
I could not work out why my system was so unlistenable. I had a nice Sony 555ESD player with the TDA1541 ... I sold it as it was harsh every time I switched it on. I Know what people mean when they mention digital screech puts them off listening.

My thought on phase noise is that recently manufactured boards have damp flux residue. This stuff is conductive and even after cleaning will reduce the high resistance across any crystal enough to reduce Q and increase jitter. After a few days warm running the board will be fully dry and as good as it gets. Switching off will have no bad effects so long as the equipment is indoors in a dry room

I too think audiophile ethernet cables are hokum Keith. But the phase noise measurement we have to assume isn't fabricated - maybe I should switch on the DAC the day before! Thanks Radamel.

Not a problem. :)

IIRC John Westlake always has his MDAC on.

As my Audiolab 8200CD had no standby mode I used to have it always on too.

I now keep my Mytek Brooklyn on standby (the external LPSU is always on).

advertisement

Back