advertisement

To leave on or not to leave on!!!

Hi do you switch off your hi if gear between listening sessions or do you leave on all the time.....would like to build up a consensus and opinions....

I switch off stuff that has an easily reached off switch, but some of it doesn't, and just goes into sleep/standby mode. If I'm going to be away for more than a couple of days I switch the lot off at the wall socket. When I used a valve power amp I was paranoid about accidentally leaving it on. The off switch was round the back, which was a right PITA.

Can't say I've noticed much need for warm-up in the stuff that does get switched off.

My Naim gear always on. I think it sounds better when on all the time, but is this autosuggestion because I read that I should? Who knows.

Leave the phono stage on because it is SS but the power and pre amps are switched off.

Left the power/pre amp on overnight once and came downstairs to a furnace in the morning.

Border Patrol may sound good but they pump out some serious heat and Western electric 300b valves are not cheap.

My Naim gear always on. I think it sounds better when on all the time, but is this autosuggestion because I read that I should? Who knows.

My first Naim kit years ago was left on 24/7, because the dealer said so:D

Now I switch everything off when not in use. Yes, it does seem to sound slicker after half an hours warm up but as you say I'm not sure whether it is fact or in fact autosuggestion as you mention.

Exposure amps on 24/7 as recommended by the manufacturer. Linn Lingo on 24/7 as well as my Yamaha, NuForce and NAD which have standby modes.

I just noticed this thread is in off topic, it might get more attention in the audio forum.

all off. some times the minidisc deck in standby as it cannot be turned off other than pull the plug. I dont think anything that gets hot should be left on eg the Audiolab 8200cdq - I have seen them in some hifi shops left on all the time even in hot weather, would never buy a demo model from those shops. Also there is the mtter of power cost and I wonder about ageing of microchips due to the heat.

Used to leave on all the time.
Now turn off overnight.
Back on first thing, various listening through the day

Valve pre stays on most of the day, once it's switched on. It's a type 26 DHT, and runs very cool. SS power amp auto switches off after a few minutes; I plan to modify it to stay on for at least 30 minutes.

What's wrong with British (company) shares, Mick? Or do you live near Hinckley Point?:D

Oh yes; kit in transition currently but if it's Naim, it's on 24/7

The only thing I leave on is the NAPSC because it doesn't have an off switch and the 82 loses it's settings if it's switched off.

Everything else off.

Didn't half notice the reduction in leccy bill when I bought out of the Naim bullshit and started switching it off.

advertisement

Back