advertisement

To have one amplifier or several

I like high powered solid state amps into reasonably insensitive speakers. I also like flea powered valve amps into very sensitive speakers. I like a bit of tubey colouration sometimes in my amplification chain, at other times I prefer everything to be as uncoloured as possible until it gets to the speakers. I have a classic Quad system, a classic Naim system, some classic American hifi, some Japanese exotica, and some DIY projects.

There are no right answers in hi-fi, and I enjoy exploring the different forms of wrongness on offer. It's all part of the fun. I had the same high end 47 Labs system for over 15 years until the pandemic, nowadays I buy and sell mainly vintage gear, and try out loads of different things, much as I did when I was younger, although nowadays the equipment available that I can afford to muck about with is much better quality than it used to be.

But what is 'the best'? I had more expensive components and yet still found the need to change whilst now I like every one and enjoy listening to them in turns.

Without wanting to read too philosophical, isn't it better sometimes to just accept imperfections and enjoy what something does well? A bit like life in general.

I have lost quite a bit of money in the upgrade process over the last 3 years, especially with my ventures into active systems. I don't have that issue now nor do I feel to upgrade per se (but I am looking to add another one).

Did you watch the YT video on page 1?

I just accept that what I choose is likely a compromise but one that I am happy with. I have had various amps from the same manufacturer for over 40 years now and the same albeit much upgraded TT for a similar length of time because to me they give the compromise that I want. I only focus on the hi-fi aspects of my system when making a change, the rest of the time focus on enjoying my choice of music. This for me is the way to hi-fi and music happiness.

I didn't watch the video as I don't use headphones.

You can go around in circles chasing a dream of perfection, which does not exist, or you can alter your expectations and be happy with reality. It's your call but the second option is a lot cheaper.

What is the second option and why is it cheaper?

I really like all 12 of my amps (I didn’t include preamps). Seven are in constant use (I cheated and included the four in the active speakers). One is a spare if any others break. None of the others are big brands and are worth far more to me than their second hand value. The kids can have them when they move out.

Nonetheless, I don’t swap any in and out. Leak ST20 and Genelec 8030Cs downstairs, Temple Audio monoblocks upstairs. Oh, and I forgot the one in the sub.

I guess if I had the space (and transport!) I might be more interested in box swapping. As it is I'm happily settled on my little Croft Integrated - one box, sounds great, job done really.

I think my nerdiness is channelled instead into old jazz records. There's always another interesting record I've not heard waiting to be discovered on Discogs at 1am : )

That said, I have a Leak ST20, a Fisher valve receiver and a Densen B100 gathering dust....

I was going to write a reply, but this pretty much sums it up :)

Do what brings you joy, I like exploring the kit as much as the music, you may not, it's all good.

I should probably add that I currently have 1 integrated, 1 diy stereo power here, another stereo power off being serviced, a pair of monoblocks, two diy passive pres and two active pres, diy phono stage and another diy stereo power waiting to be built.

The powers of self justification are strong with this one ;)

But what is 'the best'? I had more expensive components and yet still found the need to change whilst now I like every one and enjoy listening to them in turns.

There are no right answers in hi-fi, and I enjoy exploring the different forms of wrongness on offer. It's all part of the fun.

I just accept that what I choose is likely a compromise but one that I am happy with.

As Sideshowbob has mentioned, there is no right or wrong so it's all good.

You can go around in circles chasing a dream of perfection, which does not exist,
I believe RoA is not chasing perfection. He just enjoys making a change every now and then like few others here. I used to be in that position previously during the pandemic but don't have the luxury to indulge in that anymore these days. Perhaps when I have more free time or when things get boring, I may start to make changes. It's all part of life.

Changing gear on a occasional or frequent basis may appear to be chasing perfection, but it can also be a case of people having fun, to explore a different sound or experience which is totally unrelated to chasing the dream.

Densen B-350 125W mono blocks
I have been keeping an eye out for these, but haven't seen any available on any market I know of, and they do not appear to be available new anymore. Have you heard/read any comparisons with the current Densen B-330+ stereo power amp?

I have been keeping an eye out for these, but haven't seen any available on any market I know of, and they do not appear to be available new anymore. Have you heard/read any comparisons with the current Densen B-330+ stereo power amp?
No, I have not. I suppose the B-330 to B-350s is like Naim NAP250 to NAP135s. With the benefit of hindsight, I feel I should have bought two B-330s for about the same money. That was over 17 years ago. They are still sounding fantastic (no, I don't leave them on 24/7).

Many....

The Nait is gone but currently switch between a number of integrateds; a Jadis, Audial, Sparkler and an Almarro. If push came to shove and had to keep just one it would likley be the Sparkler...or maybe the Jadis...or possibly the ....
Interested to know what you think of the Audial since I have the dac and like it a lot.

I just sold my Nait 2.
Loved it for years but synergy between the Falcon Q7s and a Quad 303 won me over.

I just sold my Nait 2.
Loved it for years but synergy between the Falcon Q7s and a Quad 303 won me over.

I sold my Nait2 thirty years ago, when it was just another budget amp. If I still had it today I would not sell it.

Nothing is perfect, not at any price…

I could just have one better one, selling the above but I know even that would not be perfect of course…..

How do you feel about this? One amplifier or several?

I have the “lots of everything” approach, over 3 main systems and 3 smaller ones. I put a system where-ever I can get away with it. I even have a travelling one…

Only one has any expensive new kit in it though

I do this with amplifiers as different speakers would just be impractical space wise.

Uhmmmm… errr… whoops … really? :cool:

Interested to know what you think of the Audial since I have the dac and like it a lot.

I owned the Model A initially which was my introduction to Audial. If you find one... grab it! One of the best amplifiers I've owned. Foolishly I sold it as was a single input and thought I needed more. Couldn't give it away which was the real irony as the guy who purchased it was as blown away as I'd been and had owned a laundry list of amplifiers.

The secret sauce in the A20 according to designer is the potentiometer used. The replacement A20 is meant to be more things to more people but in spite of being a lovely sounding amplifier is not "special" like the Model A.

https://www.audialonline.com/blog/cermet-potentiometers/

I'm a fan of gainclones and have had Amp-1, Patek SE, Clones and the Model A for me is the best sounding and not by a small margin.

I have moved camps and my approach over the years. Going from box-swapping and at points having several amps in the house at any one point, then all sold and out, and all over again, to contentment.

I now have one amp which I am very happy with, a Leak Stereo 20 and a tiny little Amptastic Mini-1 as a backup / summer switch-in if it's baking hot. All other amps not in use have gone. I think I will end up keeping this Leak for a very long time as it does so much very well and little wrong, plus the synergy with my speakers is fantastic. I no longer have the urge to buy new/different stuff to try.

I also use a Naim Muso QB for the kitchen but that doesn't count.

advertisement

Back