advertisement

Time to dump Aperture?

It does. But don't forget that the Adobe CC photography plan also includes Photoshop, which has many other uses beyond regular photography. I use it from time-to-time to put composite images together, as its layers control is very powerful. So I would be reluctant to switch to yet another photo management system....

I just did a one day course with Mark Galer on Lr, installed the demo of Lr the night before. I learned a good efficient workflow. Took along my laptop and camera, we started with a 7am mid-winter shoot, and then learned the product by developing our work.

More powerful than Aperture, a little more clunky, some things a little less intuitive... I can process sports photos quickly, and make landscapes pop. I'm still developing that subtlety I prefer though.

Take a look: http://www.markgaler.com some excellent tutorials, some free if you subscribe, some paid.

"here's one I made earlier (during the course)".

27701892681_826192aa83_b.jpg

I'm buying an Lr license this week. Another couple of weeks and I'll be up to speed.

I switched to Capture One Pro 9 for RAW processing and while I initially thought it to be clunky, it's actually superbly fast, intuitive, and the results are second to none. I haven't regretted it for a second. Seriously amazing piece of software.

The online tutorials are great, and there are quite a few professional photographers that do Youtube tutorials on how to get the best from it.

Capture One + Affinity for me is a break away from the old guard bloatware (Aperture / LR / PS) to a new generation of lean and advanced processing software.

BTW I'm not affiliated with either company or product; I'm just an amateur who likes them!

I switched to Capture One Pro 9 for RAW processing and while I initially thought it to be clunky, it's actually superbly fast, intuitive, and the results are second to none. I haven't regretted it for a second. Seriously amazing piece of software.

The online tutorials are great, and there are quite a few professional photographers that do Youtube tutorials on how to get the best from it.

Capture One + Affinity for me is a break away from the old guard bloatware (Aperture / LR / PS) to a new generation of lean and advanced processing software.

BTW I'm not affiliated with either company or product; I'm just an amateur who likes them!

Lightroom is a toy compared to Capture One, sometimes you hardly need to touch anything in Capture One, I don't really get lightroom, I think it's just a bit of a sheep product, DxO, Affinity, Capture One all better than Lightroom I found.

How does Capture One handle the digital asset management part of the business.

Are the updates that Capture One makes applied on the file directly or are they kept separate and used to generate an output image to the screen or to file for further use in printing and slide shows.

Asset management is lovely because it can work either in the old "catalog" way that LR folks will be familiar with, or in a new "sessions" way that more neatly matches how I want my workflow to go. Sessions are also used for tethered shooting.

More info here: http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO7/Organizing-Photos/Working-in-Sessions.aspx

In a nutshell: Let's say I go to New York on vacation and take a few hundred RAW photos, saved to an SD card. In capture one, I create a "new session" and call it, say, "NYC 2016". Capture One makes it perfectly obvious where those RAW files will be saved on my laptop: "/Users/hacker/Pictures/NYC 2016".

Then I import the photos from the SD card to the new session. The RAWs are stored in the folder I just mentioned. Also in that folder, Capture One creates a few more subfolders, of which "Outputs" is most useful to me. Whenever I export to TIFF or JPEG, the exported files are saved in Pictures/NYC 2016/Outputs. Simple!

This blog shows a bit more info: http://blog.phaseone.com/sessions-catalogs-get-the-best-of-both-worlds/

I also like that in Capture One I can be working on an image, then select a menu item to "Send to Affinity Photo". Affinity photo opens the image and also automatically starts working from the same NYC 2016 folder that Capture One uses. Everything is kept in the same place, neat and tidy. This makes it easy for me to archive things off to my NAS and Amazon Glacier cloud backup.

Regarding RAW changes, this quote is taken from the RAW info page:

Capture One said:
The adjustments made to the image in Capture One are applied to the preview and added to a settings file. No changes are made to the RAW data at any time.

Once the process button is pressed, RAW data is processed using the settings file. At this point the true pixel-based image is formed and output to specific dimensions.

Has Apple's built-in Photos app got any less crap since it was released? The thing that infuriated me when I first tried it was the lack of real control in library management, e.g. in Aperture I've got a nice hierarchical structure of folders and projects within etc. At the time I looked at Photos this didn't seem to be possible and it defaulted to date or location, which is bloody useless if ones photo library is largely records and audio kit taken in the front room! My hope is that it will gradually get more feature-rich and less crap as time progresses, as Apple software tends to. The actual eduting tools are probably sufficient given I never need to do more than crop/rotate and maybe play with levels/curves a bit. Does anyone here actually use it and not hate it?

Tony. photos is no better. Its supposed to have a plugin architecture, only I think develops dont give a f.

I recently jumped ship from Aperture to Affinity Photo. It's early days, but no regrets so far. A Windows version is apparently in the works.

Thanks for the tip on this - looks great and thinking of buying it.
How's the library management in Affinity and how easy was it to migrate your entire library (including processed images) from Aperture to Affiinity?

I tried Affinity on the 10 day trial and didn't get on with it. Which is a shame as it would work out a lot cheaper than the Adobe CC PP over the longer term.

Thanks for the tip on this - looks great and thinking of buying it.
How's the library management in Affinity and how easy was it to migrate your entire library (including processed images) from Aperture to Affiinity?

I hated Aperture's library management so much that I didn't really use it - for years I've just kept my own folder structure and moved files in/out as needed. To me, an Aperture Library was akin to "hide my files from me", which was annoying.

I also don't use Affinity Photo's library management, mostly because I don't use it for RAW processing (I use Capture One for that) and Capture One's session-based library management fits my use case perfectly. So sorry, I can't comment on Affinity's library management.

When it comes to tagging/searching files, my wife and I have a standard set of tags we can apply (like "vacation" or "<name_of_daughter>" or "family", etc etc). We apply then using Finder on our Macs by selecting a bunch of files, hitting the "tag" icon in the menubar, and choosing the tags we want. When it comes to searching, we again just use Finder by typing "tag:family" or "tag:vacation", etc, into the Finder search field. Voila!

Hacker - Aperture did enable you to keep your preferred file/directory structure and used the database for meta data and adjustment information plus a preview image, so your main files were never hidden from view

Hacker - Aperture did enable you to keep your preferred file/directory structure and used the database for meta data and adjustment information plus a preview image, so your main files were never hidden from view

In which case the problem existed between keyboard and chair ;)

advertisement

Back