advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

A friend has a Honda NT, not sure if 650 or 700. Loves it. He used to commute on a Bandit, which I thought was an unusual choice, but prefers the Honda. Mind you, the Bandit was getting very ratty.
If I were commuting these days I’d certainly consider a dct, in fact it would make the Honda CMX1100dct even more appealing!

Reminds me of the 80s Katanas at the front.
Suzuki have got a new bike out too, it's probably alright it a sort of capable roadbike way, but to tedouis to post here.
Suzuki used to build some fantastically interesting bikes the Katana being one of them, the relaunched Katana was a bit meh though.

Look at the Nuda concept from 1986, i suppose the Hayabusa came from that.

iu

Amazingly it was a working concept bike...

They've lost the plot completely they don't make anything interesting really, pulled out of Moto GP after winning the championship after what is my eyes is one of the best looking GP bike ever made...

iu

Team classic Suzuki interpretation of a re-imagined Katana was interesting however, top notch build as you'd expect.

I guess Suzuki have run out of money or they want to concentrate their resources where there is more profit. Perhaps the Japanese motorcycle manufacturer will stage a bit of a come back at some stage, but i think the world has changed with the European manufacturers making the interesting and characterful bikes to look at and ride.
Perhaps they'll be a renaissance from the Japanese at some point.
I think KTM is the most interesting manufacturer, they are always moving forward, making motorcycles that are tools for riding not posing, there's no cruiser or cheesy retro bike in their lineup.

iu

A friend has a Honda NT, not sure if 650 or 700. Loves it. He used to commute on a Bandit, which I thought was an unusual choice, but prefers the Honda. Mind you, the Bandit was getting very ratty.
I had a Honda Deauville for many years and I much preferred it to the Bandit 600 I also had at the same time.

Vespa 125
Norton Dominator 88
Yamaha AS1
Triumph Saint
Norton EL400 Electra
Velocette MSS
Moto Guzzi V7II
There were occasionally periods with no bike, and the Guzzi went 4 years ago when I decided that I was too old to enjoy biking. The Velo was the nicest to ride, but required too much attention. And the bloody thing would start second kick after the winter layoff, but if I stopped for a coffee or a wee on a nice summer ride it'd have to wait for an hour or so before it would start again.

The Velo was the nicest to ride, but required too much attention. And the bloody thing would start second kick after the winter layoff, but if I stopped for a coffee or a wee on a nice summer ride it'd have to wait for an hour or so before it would start again.

Probably due to fuel vaporisation in the carb from the heat coming off the engine.

Suzuki have got a new bike out too, it's probably alright it a sort of capable roadbike way, but to tedouis to post here.
Suzuki used to build some fantastically interesting bikes the Katana being one of them, the relaunched Katana was a bit meh though.

Look at the Nuda concept from 1986, i suppose the Hayabusa came from that.

iu

Amazingly it was a working concept bike...

They've lost the plot completely they don't make anything interesting really, pulled out of Moto GP after winning the championship after what is my eyes is one of the best looking GP bike ever made...

iu

Team classic Suzuki interpretation of a re-imagined Katana was interesting however, top notch build as you'd expect.

I guess Suzuki have run out of money or they want to concentrate their resources where there is more profit. Perhaps the Japanese motorcycle manufacturer will stage a bit of a come back at some stage, but i think the world has changed with the European manufacturers making the interesting and characterful bikes to look at and ride.
Perhaps they'll be a renaissance from the Japanese at some point.
I think KTM is the most interesting manufacturer, they are always moving forward, making motorcycles that are tools for riding not posing, there's no cruiser or cheesy retro bike in their lineup.

iu
Yes, I was at eicma. They have launched some real crap again. A GSX8R.

At least I have my VJ21 RGV250 in the garage to remind me if when they went for it. I bet my RGV would lap faster than the GSX8R anywhere.

As well as a joy (if you're fit and slim enough) I'm sure the RGV is a good investment. Wish I hadn't sold my Kettle 20 odd years ago, the saddle is perfect for my well padded posterior.

As well as a joy (if you're fit and slim enough) I'm sure the RGV is a good investment. Wish I hadn't sold my Kettle 20 odd years ago, the saddle is perfect for my well padded posterior.
I keep throwing money at it, so I doubt it. I want it to look like new. Petrol tank respray next, 350 quid

You can have a bit of fun on a Goldwing, Ronnie Smith and Gus Scott enjoying themselves, happy days indeed!

Although being Honda it isn't perhaps possible on the new bike.

HijOT3T.jpeg

One of Ronnie's helmets :)

1a18ef403fd66c5740f33eb00ffc48f2--helmet.jpg
I've still got one of those Magic Roundabout helmets - not that I'd actually use if now as it's probably 20 years old!

Only two stroke for me somehow proud:
Vespa pk50
Vespa special 50
Vespa GT 125 '67
Vespa primavera Et3 125
Vespa P149X
Vespa PX200 '97 with Front disc brake with which I rode all the way to the O2 in 2012
And
Suzuki RGV250 sold (not regrettably for a pair of Naim 135s.. :D) when the first kid arrived!

Don't know if it is also a Vespa, but came across this machine in Sardinia earlier in the Summer:

mYA6Rxoh.jpg

You can't see it too well in the photo, but it also had a short but very fat expansion box exhaust, with a short little 'silencer' tacked on the end. When the owner started it up it crackled and rasped just like a full-blown open-class motocrosser.

I'd never actually wanted a scooter prior to that moment :)

advertisement

Back