advertisement

Time for a motorbike list

Some of my bike history - A tomos moped bought from Woolworths, I actually went distances on this thing as I before used a cycle...A Kawasaki KH100ex two stroke ( a good bike I should have kept) A Kh250 S1 that I should never have bought, I am surprised it passed its MOT and in the end the Yamaha XJ900S Diversion the best bike ever. These can be bought cheap in v.good condition and if I did not live in Smoke City I would get another

BMW gearboxes: it’s a tractor isn’t it? Agricultural gearbox is part of the deal . Makes me wince every time I engage first, but I’m never going back to a chain. Ride, wash occasionally, service when required. I can’t see any downside for a shaft drive on the road.

BMW gearboxes: it’s a tractor isn’t it? Agricultural gearbox is part of the deal . Makes me wince every time I engage first, but I’m never going back to a chain. Ride, wash occasionally, service when required. I can’t see any downside for a shaft drive on the road.
The sad thing is so few these days - there used to be the Yamaha and Kawasaki. Clearly the "toy brigade" took over motor cycling

Unfortunately, all these GS/Tenere/Africa Twin type bikes quoted as being off road bikes are anything but suitable for off road motorcycling. They are all far to big and heavy to be regarded as proper "Off Road" bikes. Most just use these as touring bikes and very few actually go off road. Remember, Charlie and Ewan have a whole team to support them and help get them through their adventures. For off road, stick to something like a CRF 250 or equivalent bike weighing less than 130kgs...
150kg! the 690, 701 & 700 Enduro bikes are great bikes and light enough. Might be getting the Gas Gas 700 Adventure to do some of the French TET next year.

Unfortunately, all these GS/Tenere/Africa Twin type bikes quoted as being off road bikes are anything but suitable for off road motorcycling. They are all far to big and heavy to be regarded as proper "Off Road" bikes. Most just use these as touring bikes and very few actually go off road. Remember, Charlie and Ewan have a whole team to support them and help get them through their adventures. For off road, stick to something like a CRF 250 or equivalent bike weighing less than 130kgs...
It depends on the rider as the bikes themselves are pretty capable with the right tyres on. I used to compete in trail bike rallies and have beaten by better riders on stuff like GS's and Africa Twins despite riding a 250cc 2-stroke (a Honda CRM250R) myself.

88731138.5U0orzY5.cam2.jpg

Since getting rid of my Yamaha XJ900 under the London ULEZ scrappage scheme I am thinking of getting a Kawasaki VN900 more suited to my age and aching joints. Any one here experience of these bikes. It seems possible to get one in good condition for not much money 2nd hand

Interesting bike marcalia, you really need to ride one to see if the foot forward riding position is a good fit for yourself. I’ve been threatening to do the same for years (a lighter bike with a lower seat) but the forward pegs ring alarm bells to me. It may be I’d get used to it but stop start riding with pegs in that position seems counter intuitive to me but again try for yourself.

Another consideration is heat from the exhaust pipes, how will it feel sitting in traffic on a hot summers day? The final one is vibration from that twin engine. Lots of character I’m sure but how long before your hands get numb?

Please don’t think I’m overly criticising the VN900, it may be the perfect bike for you. Kawasaki have been making this style for years they know their market. I suspect the latest Japanese in-line twins are somewhat sanitised in comparison to get through modern emissions (like the current Vulcan models).

The above are my concerns if I were to move from my GSX1250fa (sports tourer inline four with lots of grunt). Just a thought but have a shot on a Suzuki SV650, the seat is likely higher than the VN but it’s really light and the engine was a blast.

Interesting bike marcalia, you really need to ride one to see if the foot forward riding position is a good fit for yourself. I’ve been threatening to do the same for years (a lighter bike with a lower seat) but the forward pegs ring alarm bells to me. It may be I’d get used to it but stop start riding with pegs in that position seems counter intuitive to me but again try for yourself.

Another consideration is heat from the exhaust pipes, how will it feel sitting in traffic on a hot summers day? The final one is vibration from that twin engine. Lots of character I’m sure but how long before your hands get numb?

Please don’t think I’m overly criticising the VN900, it may be the perfect bike for you. Kawasaki have been making this style for years they know their market. I suspect the latest Japanese in-line twins are somewhat sanitised in comparison to get through modern emissions (like the current Vulcan models).

The above are my concerns if I were to move from my GSX1250fa (sports tourer inline four with lots of grunt). Just a thought but have a shot on a Suzuki SV650, the seat is likely higher than the VN but it’s really light and the engine was a blast.

useful thoughts. Interesting thought about the forward pegs and stopping/starting. Though images of the SV650 look a bit hard on the backside and body. I really do not want a chain bike, would prefer another shaft but they are thin on the ground these days and the ones around either too big an engine or cost the earth. I shall have to look up reviews to see if vibration a thing. Getting rid of the XJ900 was a sad day as on balance suited me. I was quoted £500+ to add cat converters to make it ULEZ complaint but not worth it on a such a low value old bike

useful thoughts. Interesting thought about the forward pegs and stopping/starting. Though images of the SV650 look a bit hard on the backside and body. I really do not want a chain bike, would prefer another shaft but they are thin on the ground these days and the ones around either too big an engine or cost the earth. I shall have to look up reviews to see if vibration a thing. Getting rid of the XJ900 was a sad day as on balance suited me. I was quoted £500+ to add cat converters to make it ULEZ complaint but not worth it on a such a low value old bike
Have you looked at an f800?

Looking for a shaft drive certainly narrows your options but I can understand why you’d prefer it. Only one that springs to mind would be the Honda NT, I think it was a 700, been a while since I’ve seen one but should be well within your price range.
Maybe not on your radar but a neighbour was given a large BMW scooter while his GS was in for repair and he loved it.
It may have been a C650 but I ever saw it. He took it on a weekend trip with his mates who also had GS1200’s and it easily kept up with them. He said it was an absolute joy to ride, way better than it should have been!

Reactions: GT
New KTM, not sure if i like the styling or not (although it's not a million miles away from the 2010, 990)

One thing for sure the designers favorite film is Predator ...

2024-KTM-990-DUKE1.jpg

2024-KTM-990-DUKE5.jpg

MY24%20KTM%20990%20DUKE%20(8)_sm2hkgb.jpg

Looking for a shaft drive certainly narrows your options but I can understand why you’d prefer it. Only one that springs to mind would be the Honda NT, I think it was a 700, been a while since I’ve seen one but should be well within your price range.
Maybe not on your radar but a neighbour was given a large BMW scooter while his GS was in for repair and he loved it.
It may have been a C650 but I ever saw it. He took it on a weekend trip with his mates who also had GS1200’s and it easily kept up with them. He said it was an absolute joy to ride, way better than it should have been!
A friend has a Honda NT, not sure if 650 or 700. Loves it. He used to commute on a Bandit, which I thought was an unusual choice, but prefers the Honda. Mind you, the Bandit was getting very ratty.

advertisement

Back